Peter Walsh

huck house

What owner doesn't have their dog registered in Victoria? Asking for trouble with Vic's BSL laws, and the dog looks like a Pitbull. Another case of trying to shut the stable door afte the horse has bolted.

I hate the new laws, hate BSL, but some owners don't have a clue and the dog suffers because of it.

• 3 weeks later...

What owner doesn't have their dog registered in Victoria? Asking for trouble with Vic's BSL laws, and the dog looks like a Pitbull. Another case of trying to shut the stable door afte the horse has bolted.

I hate the new laws, hate BSL, but some owners don't have a clue and the dog suffers because of it.

It would not have made any difference if Kerser was registered or not. He would still be in the same situation.

Any dog who even vaguely fits the Victorian Government Standard, no matter what their genetic make up may be, born after September 2010, registered or not is at risk of being killed. Only exception being papered American Staffordshire Terriers.

It would not have made any difference if Kerser was registered or not. He would still be in the same situation.

Any dog who even vaguely fits the Victorian Government Standard, no matter what their genetic make up may be, born after September 2010, registered or not is at risk of being killed. Only exception being papered American Staffordshire Terriers.

Seems this is currently shady at the moment too isn't it?

Edited by melzawelza

Other owners may have had a clue ... And were rightly too frightened to alert the council .

Vic has got to be the worst BSL state in the world hasn't it? Just a complete dragnet frown.gif

I think it is. I met some wonderful ladies who do Pit rescue in Colorado, near Denver ( which has the worst BSL in the USA and uses a visual ID system too). Even she was stunned by what was going on in VIC and says it's worse than Denver.

Dandy just because of his looks. He's never shown aggression to any people or animals. There was a rotten paling on the fence at the house they had just moved in to days prior and he and her other dog got through into the neighbors yard. Neighbour called the council and they allowed one dog to go home but not Kerser because of his appearance.

The only bright side I can see about the situation is that it's completely unsustainable for councils to continue failing to win in court. Each failed prosecution may cost in the region of five figures, a particularly messy case may exceed that, these figures are not supportable in the long term. To preserve finances councils will be forced to turn a blind eye to the law, and ignore dogs of Pit Bull appearance in their jurisdiction. The stupid law may not be repealed for a while, but at least inevitably, they must stop seizing family pets as the burden of court costs begins to weigh more heavily.

The only bright side I can see about the situation is that it's completely unsustainable for councils to continue failing to win in court. Each failed prosecution may cost in the region of five figures, a particularly messy case may exceed that, these figures are not supportable in the long term. To preserve finances councils will be forced to turn a blind eye to the law, and ignore dogs of Pit Bull appearance in their jurisdiction. The stupid law may not be repealed for a while, but at least inevitably, they must stop seizing family pets as the burden of court costs begins to weigh more heavily.

This is pretty much what happened on the Gold Coast after the Chivers/Mokomoko case.

The thing that worries me is that Walsh was on the radio a few weeks ago saying that they are currently drafting legislation to place the onus on the dog owner to prove that the dog is NOT a restricted breed, not on the Council to prove that it is. This would mean that Council could seize any dog they damn well please and unless you've got pedigree Amstaff papers you've not got a leg to stand on.

Yeah, still trying to digest that news. It's horrific. :(

What happens to mastiff crosses caught in the net? Bull dog crosses, Bull Terrier crosses? SO many unrelated breed crosses can end up conforming quite closely to the visual ID. :(

Don't bet on that being the bright side. Believe that they get help from the State Government with Supreme Court costs even when they lose.

Regarding the Minister saying he is going to put the onus back on the owner to prove their dog isn't a Restricted Breed, that is what the owners are doing at the moment? I think the Minister has no clue. Lets just see how far he wants to take this.