Firming Up A Pups Stool

audreylesh

And add some offal too!

I wouldn't be feeding offal to a pup with loose stools. That needs to be introduced very, very slowly once the stools are firm.

My JS had a problem with loose stools when I 1st got him even on the kibble the breeder told me she was feeding him. After a vet visit I put him on boiled chicken & rice for a few days, which helped. He's always had a problem with loose stools & is now on a raw diet (mainly for his teeth) of raw meaty bones, mostly chicken, meat chunks - not mince - dogs don't need mince or grains, turkey wings & very occasionally lamb flaps. He likes chicken hearts but I have a problem with chicken liver, have to lightly sear both sides for him to eat it & my BC won't touch it at all & she's normally a guts.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, my poor pup had coccidia when we got him, followed by giardia a few weeks later, and the only way I can get his stools to firm up is to feed him yoghurt every day. poor baby... You can definitely tell on days I've forgotten. Hopefully one day his gut will recover enough that it won't be needed.

Re feeding raw - there's no way I'd risk it at the moment, given he also had a bacterial infection that was likely caused by raw meat - feeding him chicken necks etc.

Every dog is different, but there's no way I'd have the gall to come on here and shove my opinion (to the exclusion of all others) down people's throat, over and over again. Particularly when the people in question have a great deal more experience owning and caring for dogs than yourself...

There are many threads specifically dedicated to people feeding raw, so perhaps you should go find one and commiserate over all the close minded puppy owners that have been posting in here :mad

yeah, my poor pup had coccidia when we got him, followed by giardia a few weeks later, and the only way I can get his stools to firm up is to feed him yoghurt every day. poor baby... You can definitely tell on days I've forgotten. Hopefully one day his gut will recover enough that it won't be needed.

Re feeding raw - there's no way I'd risk it at the moment, given he also had a bacterial infection that was likely caused by raw meat - feeding him chicken necks etc.

Every dog is different, but there's no way I'd have the gall to come on here and shove my opinion (to the exclusion of all others) down people's throat, over and over again. Particularly when the people in question have a great deal more experience owning and caring for dogs than yourself...

There are many threads specifically dedicated to people feeding raw, so perhaps you should go find one and commiserate over all the close minded puppy owners that have been posting in here :mad

Perhaps a canine probiotic might be worth a try?

The ph of your dogs stomach is altered by dry food so that's why your boy couldn't stomach it.

That's why a lot of people don't feed raw. They don't realise the dogs stomach ph is unable to handle raw. After they altered stomach ph with shitty dry food. Cooking and drying kills good bacteria and many other beneficial things. Guess your dogs will suffer from your ignorance and laziness, what a shame.

Are these a reply to me?

My dog couldn't handle RAW food either. My dog died due to a a severe stomach disease and allergies, not due to my 'ignorance and laziness'.

Would there be much additional benefit over the yoghurt? Are canine probiotics much different to the ones found in yoghurt?

I think his food has added probiotics too? (RC labrador junior).

If you think it might have some long term benefit, I'll look into it, but for now I know he looks forward to his yogurt, so it's a nice way of delivering probiotics - he absolutely loves it! :)

Would there be much additional benefit over the yoghurt? Are canine probiotics much different to the ones found in yoghurt?

If you think it might have some long term benefit, I'll look into it, but for now I know he looks forward to his yogurt, so it's a nice way of delivering probiotics - he absolutely loves it! :)

The advantage would be a far greater quantiy of probiotics for the dose There is a brand for dogs but you can also use probiotics from the fridge section of the health food store.:)

What about those icky Yakult probiotic things. Don't know if they are of greater benefit than good yogurt but I have a nutritionist friend who swears by them :)

Edit: HW got there first laugh.gif

Edited by LisaCC

Ok, I'll look into it, thanks!

I just checked on the RC website, and it doesn't specifically mention probiotics - just says:

This formula contributes to supporting digestive health and promoting a balance in the intestinal flora.

It doesn't say how though...

Will see what I can find for him. My hubby thinks I'm imagining the difference from the yoghurt, but he's humouring me so far. Not sure how he'll handle me giving him supplements :) Lots of eye rolling I imagine!

Just found the probiotics section of my local online vet store - holy cow it's expensive! They sell protexin?! It does sound like the rolls royce of probiotics though... might have to find out what sort or dosage they suggest before I decide. People probiotics are definitely cheaper.

The advantage would be a far greater quantiy of probiotics for the dose There is a brand for dogs but you can also use probiotics from the fridge section of the health food store.:)

Yes, HW that is my understanding too. :)

My dog had coccidia as a puppy and after treatment our vet recommended a probiotic called 'Paw.'

It's made by Blackmores.

Edited: for jumping the gun and hitting reply too soon

Edited by trinabean