Firming Up A Pups Stool

audreylesh

My new 8 week old little guy has had a looser still since eating with me (had him a couple of days) and I'm assuming it's because a) I can't be sure of what he ate before he came to me, so he has had a diet change, and b) he had a big life change this week.

He isn't a fan of the kibble my vet gave me a sample of, unless I add in little bites of boiled chicken and sweet potato. Vet said that should be fine. Will he's system get used to the food he has now over time?

Note: he doesn't have diarrhoea, just not as firm as they were.

Edited by audreylesh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new 8 week old little guy has had a looser still since eating with me (had him a couple of days) and I'm assuming it's because a) I can't be sure of what he ate before he came to me, so he has had a diet change, and b) he had a big life change this week.

He isn't a fan of the kibble my vet gave me a sample of, unless I add in little bites of boiled chicken and sweet potato. Vet said that should be fine. Will he's system get used to the food he has now over time?

Did your breeder not tell you? Can you contact them?

Mashed pumpkin can help.

You got this cav from melbourne , didn't you ? I would be contacting the breeder and asking ..NOW.... They should have given you all sorts of information ..incl. current diet and what they recommend .

keep him on fairly bland stuff - chicken & sweet potato is fine for now ..and then GRADUALLY add in a good quality puppy dry ... any diet change is best done gradually ...

maybe try him on a teaspoon or so of plain natural yoghurt too :)

I agree with Persephone on this one. He will eventually adapt to new food with a gradual introduction of a good quality dry kibble to your current chicken & sweet potato base. The best thing I did for our pup was to change her food from Supercoat puppy to a better quality food (Nutro puppy). She has nice firm stools, and about 2/3 less poop production per day.

Royal Canin Junior kibble is yummy apparently... not had a pup that didn't love it yet... and not had one go sloppy/soft on it either.

T.

I agree with this, and a bit of yoghurt. But I believe you have to go by ear a bit in terms of quantity. My vet was telling me they exaggerate the required amounts on some of them by quite a bit.

I could be wrong though!

• 2 weeks later...

I notice a big difference with my Pups stools when he has banana - they're a LOT firmer... My little man will do anything for a banana (sit, drop, shake, twirl - all at once!). He's 5 months old and we discovered his love of banana by accident (dropping it when I was making fruit salad) and he now gets banana at least every second day. He gets them frozen a couple of times a week since he's teething...

• 2 weeks later...

What about a diet the way my mother Nature does it?

Apparently dogs eat the green matter inside the stomach of it's prey first then, offal and then meat and bone.

So when my pup arrives I will be feeding mince meat with added soaked wholemeal grains, vitamin suppliment powder and omega oils.

Read about how shit dry food really is!

It makes the stomach PH level completely out of balance and that's just one reason not to feed dry.

If I can do that without power and no fridge, just an esky and ice.

I'm sure you can do it much easier!

Edited by turka3000

Some dry food is, but no need to judge how other people feed.

Personally I have seen a lot of dogs really flourish on just dry, even the cheap stuff. There's no one size fits all, so what may well work for you may not work for someone else, no need to be rude.

Apparently dogs eat the green matter inside the stomach of it's prey first then, offal and then meat and bone.

Dogs/foxes really are not keen on that very acidic and smelly slop inside herbivore stomachs , I M O .When animals die around here ..there is always a neat dried pile of stomach content left , even if everything else has been eaten/carried away ;)

Feeding soaked grain is not the same as feeding green leafy matter .....

I will be feeding mince meat with added soaked wholemeal grains, vitamin suppliment powder and omega oils.

That recipe seems to be missing a few things the way you have written it ... ?

To quote a D O L er : " The best food is what your pup does best on .."

So when my pup arrives I will be feeding mince meat with added soaked wholemeal grains, vitamin suppliment powder and omega oils.

It makes the stomach PH level completely out of balance and that's just one reason not to feed dry.

I can just see a dog out in nature unscrewing the top off a bottle of vitamin supplement powder.

Edited by minimax

I can just see a dog out in nature unscrewing the top off a bottle of vitamin supplement powder.

:laugh:

The suppliment powder and oil makes up for the fact that its illegal for me to kill kangaroos and feed that etc. Don't give me shit about it! And yes I did miss a few ingredients yet even my incomplete list would kick dry foods arse! I forgot to add bone etc.

And I didn't mean to come across as rude before as my goal is only to remind you that natures way is simply the best and since we can't catch prey the next best thing is to try to imatate what prey food would be like. Makes sense to me...

Well you do still sound rather rude, no one is attacking what you choose to feed, but some dogs do better on other diets.

As I said, what is best for you and your dogs may not be best for someone else and their dogs.

And a friendly reminder the topic was about firming up a pup's stool, not the optimum puppy diet. :)

Apologies if you thought anyone was 'giving you shit' for choosing to feed as you do. Certainly not my intention, nor anyone else's so I imagine.