What Trick Are You Teaching Your Dog

:laugh: at the target stick! Only because the same happened to me... Talk about over enthusiastic!

With the shy, how did you guys build duration? Penny's doing a quick swipe of her face but I can't seem to be able to build up on that

I'd be interested to know too! I'm having the same problem. Breeze will cover her muzzle for a good second (our cue is 'Stinky!' :laugh: ) but I just can't figure out how to get her to hold it there. She also will only do it in a drop, as that's how I taught her initially so I am having trouble getting her to do it in a sit or stand as she confuses it with marching, which we do in those positions.

For duration, I think you would have to build in very small steps...a fraction of a second longer each time before you click. As for getting her to do it in a sit you may have to teach it as a complete new trick..ie getting her to sit then swat the peg or sticky tape or whatever you are using & then put a new cue word on it as the old word "stinky" to her, means to drop & play shy. Not sure if it is practical to get her to shy while standing...might be asking too much.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: at the target stick! Only because the same happened to me... Talk about over enthusiastic!

With the shy, how did you guys build duration? Penny's doing a quick swipe of her face but I can't seem to be able to build up on that

I'd be interested to know too! I'm having the same problem. Breeze will cover her muzzle for a good second (our cue is 'Stinky!' :laugh: ) but I just can't figure out how to get her to hold it there. She also will only do it in a drop, as that's how I taught her initially so I am having trouble getting her to do it in a sit or stand as she confuses it with marching, which we do in those positions.

:D glad to see I'm not the only one! Funny you should mention marching. I've only started trying to teach this last week. Left leg is fine, but the right leg takes a swipe at the face :rofl:

Sheena, I know what you're saying but can't seem to get there. She'll swipe very fast, and will try again (and start whining) if there is no click. Self control and patience are not her strong points :o

ETA had to google GoPro. I was wondering what kind of training device it may have been :laugh:

Edited by fbaudry

Zeus loves doing his trick training and has such a zest for learning. I've been teaching him to stand on things, but because he knows 'touch' too, he thinks I'm asking him to touch the box. When touching doesn't get him a treat, he'll start bashing the object with his front paws very enthusiastically as if to say 'just in case you didn't see me touch the box, I've bashed it to slide across the floor' :laugh: He's a funny boy!

What I want to work on is him learning voice commands as he's very signal focused right now. I'm not sure how to start phasing out the hand signals and marking the actions to words. So far Zeus knows: sit, drop, stay, search/find, sad face, roll over, high 5, high 10, touch, beg, dance, stand, play dead/bang, take a bow, leg weaving, circle clockwise to sit at left side heel(round), circle anticlockwise to sit between my legs (through), jump over things on command, go through tunnels, weave poles, and to back up/walk backwards.

I thinks that's everything he knows so far. Any other tricks you guys can think of to add to his repertoire?

Zeus loves doing his trick training and has such a zest for learning. I've been teaching him to stand on things, but because he knows 'touch' too, he thinks I'm asking him to touch the box. When touching doesn't get him a treat, he'll start bashing the object with his front paws very enthusiastically as if to say 'just in case you didn't see me touch the box, I've bashed it to slide across the floor' :laugh: He's a funny boy!

What I want to work on is him learning voice commands as he's very signal focused right now. I'm not sure how to start phasing out the hand signals and marking the actions to words. So far Zeus knows: sit, drop, stay, search/find, sad face, roll over, high 5, high 10, touch, beg, dance, stand, play dead/bang, take a bow, leg weaving, circle clockwise to sit at left side heel(round), circle anticlockwise to sit between my legs (through), jump over things on command, go through tunnels, weave poles, and to back up/walk backwards.

I thinks that's everything he knows so far. Any other tricks you guys can think of to add to his repertoire?

Circle around you backwards & cross arms (paws) :) Sounds like he is a smart little guy.

I am finally making progress with Bindi with "take a bow". I couldn't work out why every time I would verbal cue "bow", she would move in as close to me as possible almost pushing me over as I squat next to her. It is because in the initial stages I had my arm under her to keep her hips up while I clicked the front end going down, even though I would wait until she was supporting herself before I clicked :laugh: Now I just have to fade out the lure...little monkey knows when I don't have a lure. :( Cricket's "cross paws", as a result of him mauling the target with his giant paw, has turned into a "crawl" which has turned into "take a bow" as he takes a few crawls then his hips come up into a bow :laugh: So by default, he is learning three tricks in one :o

Yah... :thumbsup: I havn't done any "bow" training with Bindi for a few nights & when I got the clicker out tonight & asked for a bow, she went straight into it. I didn't even have to get down on the floor with her, I just bent over & pointed to the floor. Party....party :thumbsup:

Nice! Latent learning at its finest.

I can't come up with simple cues. Em develops new tricks just by being an idiot and I need to name them. Last effort was reversing from heel position around me and back into heel position. She was slightly excited about her impending dinner and was struggling with impulse control.

What cues does everyone use? Retrieving uses: with me, back, left, right and agility has round, check, here, go, jump, through, weave, walk it, A-up, see-saw etc etc. Tricks are crawl, spin, touch, legs, up, dead dog etc.

1385710612[/url]' post='6358566']
1385700805[/url]' post='6358454']

Circle around you backwards & cross arms (paws) :) Sounds like he is a smart little guy.

Zeus is way too smart for his own good and he definitely tries my patience sometimes :laugh: I've been meaning to come back and ask how to go about starting training Zeus to circle around me backwards -- it doesn't sound easy!

1385710612[/url]' post='6358566']
1385700805[/url]' post='6358454']

Zeus is way too smart for his own good and he definitely tries my patience sometimes :laugh: I've been meaning to come back and ask how to go about starting training Zeus to circle around me backwards -- it doesn't sound easy!

Get yourself into a confined space like the end of the hallway or even smaller to get a tight turn. Start with him in heel position & lure him backwards, clicking & treating for any movement in that direction. If the space is limiting it will make him go backwards & around your legs. When he knows what he is doing put a cue on it...I use "Scoot". I can only get Bindi to do a 180 backward turn around me, but I turn in the opposite direction & repeat the command & only click treat when she has completed the full 360 now. Only problem with Bindi is that if I try to do a simple heel backwards, she "scoots" or goes between my legs....so formal obedience is out for us :laugh:

I have troubling naming stuff as well.... Worst of all is when I forget what cue I've been using.. I got Foxy spinning around her front legs but can't remember which cue I used for which direction now.. So I';m confusing the crap out of both of us :(

• 1 month later...

How to teach a dog to stand with all four paws in or on a small object :confused: I have tried shaping with a bigger box, but all I can get is either front feet or back feet in at the one time. Others who have taught this, have you shaped it or lured it. She hasn't forgotten her "bow" & offers me a lovely bow in the box :laugh:

I had a little bootcamp training session with sarah this morning. I was doing pushups with her in a drop stay in front of me and she kept offering shy, they're still very quick so it just looks like she's rubbing her face till I give her a treat :p

How to teach a dog to stand with all four paws in or on a small object :confused: I have tried shaping with a bigger box, but all I can get is either front feet or back feet in at the one time. Others who have taught this, have you shaped it or lured it. She hasn't forgotten her "bow" & offers me a lovely bow in the box :laugh:

I'm shaping that with both of mine at the moment. Larger box with low sides seems to help understanding.

I'm shaping that with both of mine at the moment. Larger box with low sides seems to help understanding.

I am having some success. We now have three feet in the box & after I formally ended the session & walked away, I turned around & there she was standing back in the box with three feet...I couldn't click as I had no treats left, so it was just a "good dog" & a play. Also just had some success with boofhead with his criss/cross(paws). Previously I have been trying to get him to foot target, but he just keeps smashing it with his big paw. Just then I tried using my hand for him to foot target, half expecting to get a sore hand out of it, but he was really gently & caught on real quick. Isn't it great when the light bulb goes on :laugh:

Leah...I am trying to imagine a "boot camp" training session with dogs...I bet you get a few licks on the face :laugh:

Leah...I am trying to imagine a "boot camp" training session with dogs...I bet you get a few licks on the face :laugh:

Lol, not today with Sarah but I imagine I'll be getting lots of licks tomorrow when I take Collie. Sarah just kept jumping back when I was doing jumping jacks.

Left OH at home with Cricket last night while Bindi & I went to a party. Got home to this....Not sure what happened, but they were playing "101 Things to do With a Box" & either OH ran out of treats or Cricket got to number 101 :laugh: Boys !!!!! :mad

P1020241_zps2e4d2ff3.jpg