American Staffordshire Terriers

chris001

I wouldnt be muzzling him, it will draw attention to him.

When you say he plays harder with you than your child are you "roughing him up?",don't, he is a highly reactive and excitable breed, don't encourage it.

When he meets other dogs bear in mind bull breeds often get in other dogs faces and want to wrestle, they get over stimulated sometimes, if he appears to be getting too rough, put him back on lead, walk around calm him down and let him say hello again, he needs to learn respect for other dogs, and you don't want him to ever show his power.

Good advice. :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played rough with him but he is'nt that rough I ment when he's playing around bitting etc.

He's currently always on a 20ft lead at this time because we're missing part of our back fence (just got a new house), I put him on another lead when taking him to the toilet so he's free to go where ever he wants. And while walking him around a back yard ive been teaching him to walk behide or beside me, when he starts to lead me all I say is heal and he stops and waits untill he's back beside me or behide.

With the muzzel thing I agree it might draw attention see how he goes and then I'll deside if he needs one or not but I highly dout I will need one, as I think he will do ok, well I want to beleave so.

He looks like a sweetie :) I met a little similar-looking dog (puppy) a few weeks ago, some workmen had him with them and he just wandered over (I was helping my friend with her yard) and said hi, lots of wagging tail & wiggly bottom asking for cuddles :)

Lots of great advice in this thread too :)

How does or has everyone toilet trained there pups/dogs here? My pup lets us know he needs to go by sniffing at the back door but is'nt fully trained yet and does'nt use puppy pads most times when he does it inside.

I'm looking for more methods to teach him. He's almost there but not completey.

I went about it by just saying no when he went indoors and would attact a lead and take him out the back and when he went would reward him with pats and good boy lol.

We sometimes wake up to messes on the carpet or when we're out. I have lost my cool with him a couple times and have yelled even know its my responcablity to teach him and go about it carmly. At one stage though it was really stressfull but not so much now.

And thanks again in advance for any help, tips etc that I get :)

Look in to crate training - for me nothing beats it for getting toileting under control! Basically it means he is confined when you are unable to watch him like a hawk - he won't toilet in the crate, and when you let him out you take him straight outside (and reward like mad!).

Crate training now while young is also very useful for if he ever has to go to the vet for long periods in the future (he'll be crated there), or if you need to separate him from guests/other dogs in any context. He will learn to love his crate if you do it properly (my girl is in hers by choice all the time!).

Cheapest place to get one is www.vebopet.com.au. If you're in Sydney you can save postage and pick up from the Belmont store.

In absence of the crate you need to monitor him non-stop to prevent accidents. Take him outside every 30 mins, after eating, sleeping or playing. Tether him to you with a lead otherwise. Crating is easier :D

For toilet training in this house, we just make sure we do regular toilet breaks.

When they wake up in the morning and after any naps they take, right after they eat, if they stop playing, right before bed..

My boy pees on command now - which makes life easy and it also helps teach the foster dogs when they come through..

The new foster girl has seen him pee on command each night and after the second night here, she knew exactly what we were doing when we went out to the yard before bed..

They soon get the gist of it, if you take them out and praise like crazy when they do the right thing.

No point at all in going crook on them for doing the wrong thing (just clean it up and don't acknowledge it).. But when they do good - lots of 'good dog' and pats..

My son had a similar looking dog that was given to him through a work colleague in 2000 as a pit bull, staffy, collie, shephard cross. Her mother was the grandmother of the sire. BYB who said he loved the pittys.

She was the funniest, sweetest dog to live with. He got her at 5 weeks 5 days old. She was fully toilet trained at 9 weeks old. That was tested out Christmas day when I locked her up in the dog "room" for 7 hours while we went to relations for Christmas dinner & came home to a dry floor. You need to keep him confined in a small easily cleaned room when you can't watch him. I never let my dogs free access to the whole house until I could trust them. Toilet training is easy if you take the puppy out after sleeping, eating, playing & every hour at other times. Take him outside to the same place & use your word when he's going, he'll soon catch on & praise & treats for doing the right thing. No use saying no as he doesn't know what it means especially if you use it for everything he does wrong. Re-direct him onto something he can do or have.

kikopup on youtube has some fantastic training videos using clicker training.

I wasn't allowed to take her to obedience training at 4 months but son finally let me take her at about 6 months & she picked things up very quickly. I stopped taking her at about a year as she had a run in with a doberman of the same age & she became very reactive to everyone & everything afterwards & me being short was not able to handle her lunging. She loved training treats but was absolutely ball mad so I was able to use that as a reward. If she hadn't became so reactive to other dogs I think she would have loved flyball.

Like I said she was the funniest dog to live with & over her time we introduced her to 2 puppies & a kitten. She was fine with them as long as they didn't go near her food bowl. I don't know if you can see pics on your phone but here she is with my JS puppy.

2b558688-7203-495e-9e68-51577cccec2a_zpsf55a7f86.jpg

eta: she was always a lean dog, loved her food but never put any weight on.

Edited by luvsdogs

I'm in the Campbelltown area.

My dog is alright with the toilet, when I go out to have a smoke he comes with me and goes everytime without fail, its that durring the nights when we're asleep he goes on the carpet, towls, his own bed and that lol.

When it comes to me feeding him now he eats the tinyest bit and leaves the rest, it can take half the day for him to eat what was put in his bowl in the morning. When we first got him he would munch the food right down now he takes it slow and steady. I've also taught him to eat on command with sometimes helps when I dont think he has eaten enough.

Today's the day I can start walking him, parks and all that good stuff he'll like :)

When it comes to me feeding him now he eats the tinyest bit and leaves the rest, it can take half the day for him to eat what was put in his bowl in the morning. When we first got him he would munch the food right down now he takes it slow and steady. I've also taught him to eat on command with sometimes helps when I dont think he has eaten enough.

Don't leave the bowl down if he doesn't want to eat. It shouldn't be up to him when he gets to eat. I give mine 5 minutes, if not interested the bowl goes back in the fridge (not that eating has been a problem for a long long time but as a puppy this one sure was picky!) and he gets another chance at his next meal time. Tough love is the only way to go with picky dogs IMO.

If we have a foster dog, the food is picked up after about 10 minutes and offered again at the next meal.

When it is just Zig on his own, I tend to leave his food and he eats when he wants - he always gets the same amount.

Chook carcass or lamb rib or kibble with sardines or egg or cottage cheese for breaky, and some meat and kibble at dinner.

If he is peeing in his crate/bed of a night, make sure you take him out right before bed. Mine always go out on the way to bed. Then they don't need to go again until I get them up in the morning. Surprisingly the foster dogs get this right away.

I'll start doing that leave it for 5-10 minutes and if not eaten by then, then put it in the fridge.

I took him out to thr park today, he loved it took the life out of me. We both done sprints, didn't let him loose off the lead though and he was happy to see every person he met. Since we got back home he has'nt moved lol thinks he's done for aswell.

I'll start doing that leave it for 5-10 minutes and if not eaten by then, then put it in the fridge.

I took him out to thr park today, he loved it took the life out of me. We both done sprints, didn't let him loose off the lead though and he was happy to see every person he met. Since we got back home he has'nt moved lol thinks he's done for aswell.

Yep the 5-10 minute thing is the way to go! My last foster didn't eat for four days until she realised I wasn't giving in, then she ate well from then on :laugh:

Sounds like you guys had a blast! Just be careful not to over-exercise him at this age, he's still growing and his joints can only handle so much. Isn't it great when they're tuckered out and SLEEP! :thumbsup:

Yes he is lol.

She is really bulky but small, looks younger then 11 weeks and have had problems already between the two of them sarge is deperite to get to her to play and the new one plays for abit with him but then starts going crazy on him attacking sarge goes back but still bites solf.

This new pup never quits and is a gower. Might have to do something with them, think this time I jumped into things without thinking and I'd keep Sarge any day.