American Staffordshire Terriers

chris001

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore the number on the scales. How does he look? Does he have a waistline when viewed from above? Can you easily feel (but not see) his ribs? If so, then I'd say he's fine. You don't want too much excess weight on a growing pup. For an indication of how big he will be at maturity, look at his parents and grandparents.

Ignore the number on the scales. How does he look? Does he have a waistline when viewed from above? Can you easily feel (but not see) his ribs? If so, then I'd say he's fine. You don't want too much excess weight on a growing pup. For an indication of how big he will be at maturity, look at his parents and grandparents.

^^ great advice..

You can't tell us you have an amstaff pup and not post pictures :)

His waste line is real thin I got weight onto him but he loses it like nothing but looks healthy. And I'm using a phone and wont allow me to post pics or I have no clue how to do so.

I think you need an app called tapatalk to be able to post photos from your phone. Not sure how it works - I always upload my photos to Flickr and then copy and paste the link to each photo in..

If you click the link below the photo of Ziggy, you go to my Flickr account - you could set one up (I am sure they have an app for it as well).

It's free..

8280918162_244f4e2bc3.jpg

IMG_1048 by Jodie Moore Photos, on Flickr

Oh he's really cute.

They go through all sorts of awkward looking stages, so long as he seems healthy and happy, he'll grow into different body parts at different rates, expect a leggy stage and judging by his dad there'll probably be some pretty funny ear developments too, AmStaff ears can be a whole other thing. Quite fascinating to watch a dog grow into them. Just enjoy watching him grow up. :D

So long as mum and dad were healthy looking, confident friendly dogs, it's pretty likely your pup will grow up to be very like either one or both of them both in structure and temperament.

I think your pup's breeders are idiots, breeding dogs is a huge responsibility, red noses can crop up in American Staffords but it is a breed fault and a responsible knowledgeable breeder wouldn't have bred from such a dog. Or worse, the breeder flat out lied to you and are calling a Pit Bull an Am Staff. Mum looks more pitty to me, she's pretty. I personally don't support the breeding of American Pit Bull Terriers in this country right now because I think so often the people breeding them don't have a clue about what a well bred APBT should be like in either temperament or structure. Thus they have insufficient knowledge to maintain or improve the traits of the various lines, the breed in Australia now is scatterbred, unpedigreed and not really true to the ideal anymore. There may be a few breeders of American Pit Bull Terriers in this country that are producing well bred dogs, but very, very few. So I do really think the breeders of your pup are total idiots and should get a big kick up the bum.

Barring the more extensive understanding of the pup's genetics that a good pedigree going back many generations would have given you, all you've got to predict how your pup will turn out is the parents. Both mum and dad seem to be good looking dogs, they're the best indicator you can get of how things will turn out for you. Out of that Russian Roulette of irresponsible breeding you can get lucky, your pup is gorgeous. Enjoy him.

Edited by Wobbly

He isn't skinny, he looks fine for a pup that age.

As Wobbly said, they go through all sorts of growth spurts and can look really gangly, like they need a good feed.

Here Is a pic of what Zig looked like at 6 months old

8141014876_aafa57a6c9.jpg

Little Ziggy by Jodie Moore Photos, on Flickr

See how long and skinny he is, compared to how he has filled out now he is 2 years old.

It takes some dogs a lot longer to fill out, than others.

Edited by Staffyluv

I couldn't see the pictures on my computer.A few months back i met a guy walking his young Amstaff who was quite tall and slender almost Boxer like in the body.

He said he was pure bred but didn't get the chance to ask about his breeder as i was too busy getting pats and smooches from this gorgeous friendly pup.

I went home and did some research and came across a link about different body types of the Amstaff .When i looked through the breeders lists i noted a small number of dogs that had a similar more slender look to the one i met.

Are all these 3 types shown ? I do like the tall slender type.

http://www.cruisinke.../body_types.htm

Yeah Purdie there is different types, the moderate type is preferred.

The breed standard stresses that the breed should be moderate, not overdone. Structurally, a breeder should be striving produce the most athletic canine it is possible to produce, the ideal is physical perfection, a structural capacity to achieve feats of strength and agility that other dogs can't. The moderate shape allows for the best balance of optimal agility and optimal strength. Unfortunately there is a tendency in some circles to breed for big bone and stockiness, which detracts from agility and thus from the ideal of overall balanced athleticism. These are the dogs that can withstand any amount of physical pressure without giving up, that's a function of temperament of course, but the structure must be resilient and athletic enough to back up the determination.

Different breeds are compelling for different reasons, The Spotted Devil recently wrote of how she feels priviliged to watch her Springer Spaniel working in the searching/hunting capacity for which she was bred. I know exactly what she means, except with Am Staffs and Pit Bulls it's their athleticsim that is the mind blowing aspect. I used to be mesmerised, especially when my dog was younger, watching her climb sheer sandstone walls almost catlike, swim for hours, the untiring the agility, strength and endurance is mindblowing.

I really like the Redboys site, I don't think I have ever seen any of their dogs in the flesh, so can't comment on what they are actually producing first hand, but I think the comprehensive information on the site is really great: http://www.redboysamstaffs.com/amstafftype.htm

Chris, I would urge you to really research the breed, know the history and understand that as an owner of one the the most powerful, agile and determined breeds ever produced, you have a higher level of responsibility than owners of many other less physically able breeds. It's well worth knowing and understanding the history of the breed, The Redboys Amstaff site is a pretty good start, it has a nice blend of historical information and covers a range of topics owner now need to know. Diane Jessup's UltimatePitBull and Working Pitbull sites are also fantastic and I would urge you to do some research there too.

Enjoy your pup, they are a lot of fun to own. Staffyluv has been finding Ziggy is naturally excelling in obedience, for Jarrah I found her supremacy was in pushing herself physically, they are all rounder dogs and have the capacity to excel at whatever you choose, be it mentally or physically demanding. Be careful with the physical exertion while he's a pup though, he might be inclined to push himself beyond the capacities of his physical endurance, they get something stuck in their head (eg must get that frisbee at all costs) and won't give up where a more sensible dog perhaps would, it can lead to sports injuries when the dog over extends himself, which is something you need to keep an eye on especially when he's young.