Ignorance Is Alive And Well...

tdierikx

You would just be mad to do it I think. Yesterday I took Gus to the park and had a guy with a wonky looking shepherd x ask if I was interested in 'going halves in some puppies' when Gus was older.

I was aghast and just managed 'good god no' haha.

Not only is he just on 12 weeks but there wouldn't be any benefit to anyone, let alone the puppies. Shocker.

The guy at my work said "what is so hard about it?"... he was of the opinion that it's something dogs do just fine naturally... until I infomed him of all the things that could go wrong and hit his hip pocket very hard - not to mention the chance of his girl dying in the process...

Good on you for telling him what he didn't know.

One of the registered tibbie breeders (now retired) used to have a section on her website called 'So you want to breed with your dog?'. Then she listed all the things that a responsible breeder has to do & provide.... including lists of complications that can come out of left-field. With everything costed in both money and personal work & stress.

She said she needed it as a reference to point a certain kind of frequent enquirer towards ... People who hadn't even thought about breeding until they got a p/b puppy that turned out enchanting in looks and nature. So they'd say...'It's a great pity that such a beautiful creature won't reproduce at least one litter. So we're looking for a suitable mate.'

Her frankly written, evidence-based page tended to put them off big-time. Except for a few... the kind who can't be deterred from what they want. Of course, she'd refuse to sell to those.

ADDED: I googled & found a registered Lab breeder's page where she does a similar thing. Really pours it on! No worries about over-kill!!

I love her last line.... 'borrowed' from Dirty Harry's famous movie question.

'You gotta ask yourself. Do I feel lucky? Well, do you, breeder?'

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

Edited by mita

OH's parents are going to breed their SBT girl. I've told them I think it's a dumb idea, also asked them how they will deal if there is an emergency...they think it'll all be lovely and fun.

Can't do much else.

:banghead: Show them the listings of dogs available at every. single. pound. in. Australia. Ask them if they really think the world needs more staffy types. :(

What about the hundreds of beautiful stiffies that are pts every year because there are already so many of them without homes? Maybe show them some pictures of that instead.

You know what?

I honestly don't give a toss if people want to breed their pets. What I care about is that they do it responsibly.

It's not the end of the world to breed dogs without pedigrees. To prevent people breeding dogs with genetic heatlh issues, without properly caring for the bitch and to failing to raise and rehome pups responsibly is where we should be putting the effort.

A lot of puppy buyers do not buy the story that the only good dog is a pedigree one. Where we need to focus is directing them to good BREEDERS.

A whole bunch of tutt tutting about breeding pets is pointless.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I agree. Ans the more you push out at people who breed their pets, the more you drive it underground and then there's more problems.

Keeping communication and a decent rapport is akin to the more flies with honey thing in this instance, I think.

You know what?

I honestly don't give a toss if people want to breed their pets. What I care about is that they do it responsibly.

It's not the end of the world to breed dogs without pedigrees. To prevent people breeding dogs with genetic heatlh issues, without properly caring for the bitch and to failing to raise and rehome pups responsibly is where we should be putting the effort.

A lot of puppy buyers do not buy the story that the only good dog is a pedigree one. Where we need to focus is directing them to good BREEDERS.

A whole bunch of tutt tutting about breeding pets is pointless.

My workmate was only looking at the possible $$$ he could make from breeding his girl... not exactly the best start for anyone looking to breed ANY dog, wouldn't you think?

He now has a few more things to think about before he decides to try to make a "quick buck", yes? I did edumacate him of some of the badder things that can happen... lol! His girl is coming up to the age of her first season... and I'll be buggered if I'm going to pat him on the back and say "oooohhh - beagle puppies - cuuuute!" when he is thinking of breeding her on her first season!

If he had a clue, I'd maybe have been a little less forthcoming with all the scary and expensive things that can happen... I have no problem with people breeding non-pedigreed dogs or crosses - I only have an issue with people who are wanting to do it solely for the sale price they can get... and certainly not breeding with a dog under 12 months of age!

T.

My workmate was only looking at the possible $ he could make from breeding his girl... not exactly the best start for anyone looking to breed ANY dog, wouldn't you think?

He now has a few more things to think about before he decides to try to make a "quick buck", yes? I did edumacate him of some of the badder things that can happen... lol! His girl is coming up to the age of her first season... and I'll be buggered if I'm going to pat him on the back and say "oooohhh - beagle puppies - cuuuute!" when he is thinking of breeding her on her first season!

If he had a clue, I'd maybe have been a little less forthcoming with all the scary and expensive things that can happen... I have no problem with people breeding non-pedigreed dogs or crosses - I only have an issue with people who are wanting to do it solely for the sale price they can get... and certainly not breeding with a dog under 12 months of age!

T.

I"m not sure your average puppy buyer would think $ was any less of a motive than "improving the breed". Its HOW they get to the end result that matters to me.

Guide him towards that book. There's also one on puppy raising. If he wont' spend the money to buy some books, ask him what he thinks he's going to be spending to raise the litter. :cool: You know with the right guidance, he could end up on the "right" side of the breeder fence. :)

I would tell him that he'll struggle to find a decent stud prospect for his girl if she's not ANKC Main Registered.. and older. If her breeder is willing, there is still time to upgrade her to Main.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Some good advice there Haredown... I don't think he's really thought all that much about what it takes to raise a happy and healthy litter of pups and then find good homes for them. He has a friend with a male (unpapered) Beagle that he was going to use over his girl... *sigh*

I wasn't being full on or "rescue rabid" with him about wanting to breed his girl - just gently explained to him the "fun" stuff our rescue has been through when taking in pregnant dogs in general - and pregnant Beagles in particular. I gave him some prices he could expect from vets for various things he might come up against and the like... *grin*

He honestly thought that "all dogs just do it naturally"... and just needed to know that it wasn't always true... that it takes a lot of good planning and good management to get the very best he can for and from his girl.

He really does love his girl to death, and he wouldn't want to do anything that would be bad for her... so having a few alternate things to think about before breeding her is good for him, don't you think?

T.

Edited by tdierikx