Martingale Collar - Do You Use It All The Time?

I need to get Terah a new collar and I'm looking at a Martingale, just wondering if you use this as a normal day collar or only when you're out and about. It might seem a silly question, but really isn't if you think about it. :D

I'm tossing up between a Syn tek and a Martingale from K-9 and was wondering which one would be better or whether I should use the Syn tek flat as an everyday and the Martingale just for training.

What do you think?

Edited by Loreley

Zig only wears his for training - he doesn't wear a collar at home.

Our gates are padlocked and very high - there is no chance of him getting out of our yard, so not wearing a collar, isn't an issue.

For just going out, he also has a flat collar that we use.

No collars here when at home. Just not worth the strangulation risk IMHO. Our gate is padlocked & we too have high fences.

When we are out we wear limited slip collars from EzyDog of martingale ones from Black Dog.

I wouldn't leave a martingale on all the time, but have always had buckle collars on my dogs when around the house and yard. Our fences are good, but there have times in the past when my older dog's escaping abilities have prevailed nonetheless so I like them to be readily identifiable all the time.

I take the point about strangulation risks in the yard as well. I guess it's always balancing one risk against another and doing what is right in your own circumstances.

At the moment Wiz wears her Syn Tek flat collar every day to go to work or if we are going bush walking, swimming etc and I put her leather martingale on if I am taking her for a walk or going out somewhere like the markets as its a bit flashier (lol).

ETA: plenty of people use martingale as every day collars, it's really personal preference as some people prefer their dogs don't wear collars unless leaving the house.

Edited by huski

I like the look of those new Syn tek flat collars & they can go swimming in them which is a must cause mine go everyday. Might lash out. Not that they need another collar but they look so good.

BC I have always preferred leather but I am really loving the Syn Tek collars as they can get wet, dirty, muddy etc and just wipe clean. Especially helpful when I have a crazy Malinois tomboy who loves getting filthy and muddy and jumps in my pond every day!

Ooohhh collars that can get wet and filthy, might get some of those for the sheep dog and for when the whips go to the beach.

I generally use a martingale when out and about and at training. The whips don't wear collars at home but the BC does as he gets tethered on the ute and also tethered down the yards when we need him to stop working sheep.

I don't have collars on at home because of rough play but if i do they are flat. I will use a flat collar at agility because at our club we have to be able to quickly grab them in class if needed. I prefer walking on a harness, not that they pull but I like the extra control it gives me, I'm tiny and not particularly strong. And then a martingale for obdience. I like the martingale as its a little more control and Daisy now knows its time to REALLY work when it comes out.

I am also liking the new syntek collars they look so swish. Just working out if I can justify more dog things. Has anyone tried any of their leads? Wondering about a matching collar: lead set.

Edited by Daisy.Tea

No way would I leave a limited slip collar on my dog if they're free to run about eg in the backyard or off leash. I witnessed a poor young cocker spaniel with her leg caught in hers when her owners left it on at our off leash park. It happened when she was down the steep embankment of a creek and she couldn't climb back up as her front leg was caught in her collar. Her owner was heavily preggers at the time so I had to help rescue the poor girl -- it could've been much more disastrous.

I'm just glad her owners have learned to not use the martingale on her at the park!

Elsie doesn't really wear a collar as she is a grot, always rolling in poop or puddles! She has a limited slip martingale for agility, I love it as I can so easily slip it on or off, and I feel better if she runs "naked" in agility - nothing to get caught up on!

we use limited slip collars, which remain on all the time, flash is currently in a martingale collar, purely cause I had it to hand when his last collar got eaten. a properly fitted limited slip is my fave.

Guest Clover

I would not leave a martingale on unattended, way to risky.

My guys are naked at home as they wrestle like idiots. And martingales for walks and training. I can't remember thames last time any of them wore a normal flat collar (which is hard for collar addict me :( ).

Haha Elsie has so many pretty flat collars, but as she doesn't wear one when home, and she wears a plain black collar at obedience, a limited slip at agility and has a large harness collection for the other sports... She never gets to wear the pretty ones! Doesn't stop me buying them though.... :cry: