Those Who Are Giving Glucosamine

Mac is feeling his arthritis a little now he is 13 and as I am in the process of ordering some rosehip capsules for him (and the other two) I thought I'd order some Glucosamine as well.

The tablets are 1.5g, my question is, (for those who are giving their dogs this supplement) how many grams are you giving...Mac is around 8Kg.

I am going to buy from a company called Pure Vitamins...they have free postage for the first order, an Aussie company & their products are manufactured here so that'll do me for the moment.

ETA advice given by Sail_Away about Synflex so I have ordered it instead of Glucosamine

Edited by Boronia

My last Standard Poodle got arthritis in her older years and the only thing we found that really made a significant improvement to this was a product called 'Synflex'. Here is a link to it: http://www.synflexaustralia.com.au - Just saw this website states it is not available in Australia - we purchased ours from a supplier online… I'll try and find their details...

It has glucosamine and shark cartilage in it… She used to limp terribly on her back legs as she had a lot of inflammation around her knee joints and after putting her on synflex she was running around like a puppy again. Very happy with the results! smile.gif

Edited by Sail_Away

I did some searching and calculations (which hurt my head) and if I get the 1.5g tablets I need to give Mac a 1/6 (250mg) tablet daily.

Dosage rate for 500mg tablets:

Dosage:DOGS Daily

Under 10kg-250mg 1/2 tablet

10-20kg - 500mg 1 tablet

21-30kg - 750mg 1/1/2 tablets

31-40kg - 1000mg 2 tablets

Hopefully I can cut them into 6 equal parts without them breaking all over the chopping board :D

post-26505-0-94783400-1373244978_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Boronia

Here is a link to some more information about it when used on pets http://www.synflexfordogs.com. This is an American site though… it is also used for humans smile.gif

That looks good Sail_Away,thank you for the link. I am giving them Pernaease powder and Vit E as well as oranges or mandarines in their vege-slops, Mac just looks like he needs a bit of a boost, his spine feels a bit bumper than normal and Pen is just a little creaky overall. I'll try the stuff from the Pure Vitamins store first (as they are pretty economical) and if I don't see much in the way of a result after a month I'll order some Synflex.

I like to give glucosamine that also has MSM and chrondritin. That is usually in a powder form.

there is this one Jules--> My link

it doesn't have the MSM though

This was the last human one I used - http://www.wagnerhealth.com.au/wagner-msm-joint-formula

I actually got it for me but didn't like drinking it! Most chemist stock it. I am currently using Joint Guard which is twice as expensive and I wouldn't say it has been any better.

Here is a link to some more information about it when used on pets http://www.synflexfordogs.com. This is an American site though… it is also used for humans smile.gif

That looks good Sail_Away,thank you for the link. I am giving them Pernaease powder and Vit E as well as oranges or mandarines in their vege-slops, Mac just looks like he needs a bit of a boost, his spine feels a bit bumper than normal and Pen is just a little creaky overall. I'll try the stuff from the Pure Vitamins store first (as they are pretty economical) and if I don't see much in the way of a result after a month I'll order some Synflex.

I would highly recommend this product, I've seen first hand the results and improvement it gave my previous dog. I think our vet or breeder recommended it to us originally. It is all natural and has Vit A & E + Omega 3 & 6 etc etc. Also because it is a liquid it is easier to measure and is absorbed into the dogs system much much quicker than tablets - I think I recall seeing an improvement in under 2 weeks whereas some tablets can take up to 6-8 weeks to work because they are metabolised and broken down more first. It is said to help rebuild the cartilage too (if you google sharks cartilage you will see some great reviews about it) - I think the VAN website also recommend sharks cartilage - so rather than just dealing with the inflammation it is meant to repair the joint too thumbsup1.gif We tried lots of other things before this including Sasha's blend (powder form) but my dog would not go near it, plus it stinks! I honestly was so surprised with the improvement found in her, she no longer seized up in the cold and did not look to be in any pain smile.gif

I use the same as JulesP (but I really just get whatever one is one special) and D gets 15g spoon, although he should probably get 30g given his weight (47.5kg), but that's a lot of powder in his dinner!

He also gets fishoil

I would highly recommend this product, I've seen first hand the results and improvement it gave my previous dog. I think our vet or breeder recommended it to us originally. It is all natural and has Vit A & E + Omega 3 & 6 etc etc. Also because it is a liquid it is easier to measure and is absorbed into the dogs system much much quicker than tablets - I think I recall seeing an improvement in under 2 weeks whereas some tablets can take up to 6-8 weeks to work because they are metabolised and broken down more first. It is said to help rebuild the cartilage too (if you google sharks cartilage you will see some great reviews about it) - I think the VAN website also recommend sharks cartilage - so rather than just dealing with the inflammation it is meant to repair the joint too thumbsup1.gif We tried lots of other things before this including Sasha's blend (powder form) but my dog would not go near it, plus it stinks! I honestly was so surprised with the improvement found in her, she no longer seized up in the cold and did not look to be in any pain smile.gif

which one did you get exactly? Sail_Away, there is a few different types (I think I may now have to buy the Synflex!)

which one did you get exactly? Sail_Away, there is a few different types (I think I may now have to buy the Synflex!)

Um I'll have to double check (sorry was a few years ago now) - I think we just got the original one.. It had the green label on it.. It's not the one with the dog face on it but I can't remember if we got the one 'for pets' - there is an 'original for pets' - they may have changed the packaging slightly though… Here is a great website I ordered from once in WA: http://www.dogcancer.net.au/dog-arthritis-synflex.php - Lots of great info on here…. it is a bit pricey there though and I think I may have ordered off an OZ supplier on Ebay… I can't find them on there now though.. You can order direct from the USA. It is a bit $ but lasts a long time - you measure by weight of dog though.

I emailed K9 Health Support (http://www.dogcancer.net.au/dog-cancer-about-us.php) Sail_Away, giving them my contact details and asking them for postage costs. The gentleman phoned me back and told me the SynFlex is $33 and the postage $10...I am pretty happy about that!

While we were chatting he mentioned other dogs (he has an Airedale) that have found this product very beneficial.

I am wondering if Ness' lovely Kenzie would do well on it?

The SynFlex should arrive in a few days and I am pretty keen to see how Mac and Pen do on it.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

I emailed K9 Health Support (http://www.dogcancer...er-about-us.php) Sail_Away, giving them my contact details and asking them for postage costs. The gentleman phoned me back and told me the SynFlex is $33 and the postage $10...I am pretty happy about that!

While we were chatting he mentioned other dogs (he has an Airedale) that have found this product very beneficial.

I am wondering if Ness' lovely Kenzie would do well on it?

The SynFlex should arrive in a few days and I am pretty keen to see how Mac and Pen do on it.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

That's great news! thumbsup1.gif Those guys have fantastic customer service and from memory it arrived about 2 days later!! I hope it works well for your dogs, every dog is different though but I've only heard good things about it and it really did wonders for my girl smile.gif Let us know how you get on

Sure will!

It was in the letterbox yesterday so Mac and Penny got some with their tea last night and with their brekkie this morning. The instructions reckon to double the dosage for the first week or so, I have not done that as that would mean 8 teaspoons daily and as they are on the lower end of the chart (at 17lb) I reckon that it may upset their tums.

They are only mildly creaky and still get around ok, in fact Penny can run flat out, down the steps, down the driveway to the front gate where the next-door-neighbour's ridgie x waits to have a bark-fest on the other side.

This is the dosage chat I copied from a Synflex ebay sellers listing

post-26505-0-90570500-1373522955_thumb.png

this is my calculation from this site My link 8kg = 17lb 10.192oz

The chart is odd as the 40-100lb is 1/4 tablespoon which is really 1tsp according to this reference link My link

I only gave Penny and Mac 1 tsp each daily.

I will need to work it all out again. I think I'll email the bloke at K9 Health and ask him.

eta...have just received an email from Sue (I asked them the dosage for an approx 8kg dog):

dosage from the company says just under half a teaspoon , you double this amt. for the first 10 days, then return to just under half

So my measurements were pretty close, it is of interest is that a US teaspoon is 3tsp to 1 tblsp and Aussie is 5tsp to 1 tblsp

Edited by Boronia

• 2 weeks later...

Our dog is also called Mac...... :thumbsup:

I guess the reason for the double dose is to get the supplement in the system asap. It is pretty standard with a lot of supplements these days.

After reading that I understand this will last you 128 days.....? How much did it cost (if you don' mind me asking)?

Cheers,

KP