First Rally O Trial

Don't forget to talk to your dog!!!

And don't forget that you can do a re-try if you get a station wrong (I forget how many you get, 2 or 3).

We did our first Rally's at Geelong and it was a really lovely supportive environment. We didn't pass the first couple, all my fault because I forgot to talk to my dog!! But just enjoy yourself, a pass is a bonus if you've had a great day with your dog regardless!!

What biker girl said :D . And I would have a look at the signs again on the ANKC rules site .. just to make sure you can do each of the Novice signs. Then really make good use of your walk through time .. ten minutes. Look at the flow of the course..which ways you'll be heading. Be sure to ask your judges for any clarification you might need .. remember they want you to succeed. :D

Do your walk through as if your dog was with you .. footwork, cues, how much room will you take up .... Then have a quick practice with your dog away from the ring somewhere to polish anything you think might need polish.

And don't rush...it's not really a speed event, in spite of what my feral agility girl might think! :) Try to keep engaged with your dog .. that will help to avoid the dreaded tight lead.

And have FUN ????

Thanks :) I have the signs saved on my phone lol (nerd much). I quite often flick through them and make sure we can do them all. His downs are a tad on the slow side at the moment (grass is cold and he is a sook) but if I bend down with the hand signal he will go down slowly - do you think I will get penalised for that??

We are 19th in, which is going to be a huge help being able to watch others go through it first. Rescue remedy for me I reckon lmao.

We are about to have our 2nd ever Rally trial on Sunday. I had no idea what to expect at our first one but everyone was so helpful and the judge took the time to explain things for us and make sure we were walking the course correctly. Oh, and if the lead gets tangled in your dog just untangle them at the next opportunity (next time you halt etc). Tailwag wasn't sure so Sweep did a number of stations with his leg caught in a lead until she could untangle him (not that he even broke stride so it didn't matter too much).

Check in can mean different things in different states - but it usually means what time you have to be there (or a bit before) so that you can collect your numbers from the secretary's office (people will tell you where that is), and they can mark you present. If you have a bitch you need to present your bitch to be checked. but I'm guessing Billy s a dog, so you probably won't need him for check in. Again - just ask. THe Geelong folks are friendly .. even to interstaters :laugh: .

Get there in plenty of time before check in so that you can find out where everything is - rings, toilets, office, canteen .... Worry wort me leaves extra time for traffic hold ups - especially in winter.

About your extended signal for the down - in Novice Rally, it's likely to cost you a point or two, as long as the dog does go down - slow response. But it's not as costly as in normal obedience.

Don't forget that if something goes wrong, you can call a retry - will cost you 3 points, but wipe any points you'd lost on the station up till then. You need to be fairly sure the dog will do the move on the retry, though ... and you only get 2 retries over the course as a whole. (There's quite a bit of strategy involved, especially as you move up the levels. )

But most importantly .. breathe, have fun, talk to your dog, tell Billy he's wonderful whatever he does .... :D

Awesome thanks. Yeah I am a worry wart too, and it's going to take me about 2.5hrs to get there, so will be leaving at the crack of dawn lol.

I've done a little work on his downs today and he is getting quicker - he really is just a sooky lala.

It's all good experience regardless of the result - for both of us :)

Purpley you'll be fine aim to get there with time to spare before check in shuts (if you are entered for all three trials you only have to go to the first check in not all three), so you can collect your number. You have some lovely judges for novice so go along and enjoy yourself. Remember when you walk through the course before the trial starts that you can ask the judges to clarify if you aren't sure about a sign that's what they are there for. Good luck and have a good day. :)

We got 86/100 in the first trial :) Pretty happy with that score for my first trial ever!!

Second trial Billy decided it was crap - literally. I had been trying to get him to go all morning, and made sure i didn't feed him before we left. I stopped for coffee on the way and he ate 2 banana's I had in my bag. Obviously they decided to come out in the second trial - in the ring. Oops!!

3rd trial I scratched him. The rain was quite heavy by then and I couldn't even get him to sit ringside, so there was no point setting him up to fail.

All in all we had a great day. Everyone was so lovely, helpful and supportive (very different from showing!). I think Moorabin will be our next one :)

We got 86/100 in the first trial :) Pretty happy with that score for my first trial ever!!

Second trial Billy decided it was crap - literally. I had been trying to get him to go all morning, and made sure i didn't feed him before we left. I stopped for coffee on the way and he ate 2 banana's I had in my bag. Obviously they decided to come out in the second trial - in the ring. Oops!!

3rd trial I scratched him. The rain was quite heavy by then and I couldn't even get him to sit ringside, so there was no point setting him up to fail.

All in all we had a great day. Everyone was so lovely, helpful and supportive (very different from showing!). I think Moorabin will be our next one :)

WELL DONE thumbsup1.gif the first of many biggrin.gif