Eclampsia..

Missymoo

WOw, first time for everything huh?

So my girl is now down at the vet on a drip for the rest of the day...

Ive never seen it so didn't pick up subtle symptoms she was showing (whining and panting the night before, hindsight is a wonderful thing :( )

The pups and mum were outside today and I poked out my head to see what they were up too and noticed mum was laying down and panting...I called her as I wandered over and she stagered up and fell again..Im like WTF?! Rushed over and looked at her her tongue out panting heavily and falling about...grabbed her and yelled at kids to bring in pups as I was on the phone to my vet..who was in surgery...we all got in the car while I called one of my dog owners who is a vet (at this stage I was thinking spider bite or something...) She suggested Eclampsia..I didn't even think about it as pups are 5 weeks and pretty much weaned...

She was right. Poor girl, heart was all over the place as well, I feel awful, Ive never had this before :( She is on the road to recovery now and I pick her up this afternoon :(

Anyone else missed it?

The first signs can be very subtle , and missed if no previous experience .

Hope she is now well stocked up with goodies, and recovering well. :)

I remember taking a seizing bitch 100 km to a vet , many years ago .... luckily she survived !

Good luck with your girl - I know its one of the things I dread so much - luckily I have never had it in one of my girls either but its always a worry. Was it a large litter and a small dog? My mini poodle's last litter was 9 I was on nerves edge incase she got it and started weaning my pups at 3 weeks to give her some help - luckily we got through but with a lot of breath holding and hand wringing - why! I ask myself sometimes do we do this??????

yeah shes really picked up and I picker her up after 6, shes even eaten some food :)

Yes it was a litter of 7 (one died 3 days old) and they are big fat chubbas! It never even passed my mind as all my girls have big litters..but I tell you what now I will be watching like a hawk in any future post whelps until the pups leave!

100KM!! OMG I would have had a heart attack!! My normal vet only had one vet on who was in surgery so went to one down the road, and vet was out on lunch...they put me onto another not far away and rang through and it was good to go! So as soon as I arrived they took her straight out to start treating.

Shes not allowed in with pups tonight and its will be on calcium supplements for a bit...but its all good :) Relieved :)

Have had it once but picked it up very early. It is really hard with pugs because they tend to pant anyway especially early on. And they tend to "grin" anyway.

I will give my girls calcium sandoz on their food when they are producing lots of milk just in case.

I noticed Charli (Pug) wasn't herself at day 3 from having her litter of 6. She was off food and too quiet for my liking. Vet wasn't sure at first but thought very early signs of eclampsia and she was on calcium sandoz, noticed a difference pretty much straight away. Will be extra careful with her next time and on watch for the same thing just in case.

I had seen a bitch years ago that I didn't like the look of, told owner to get her checked asap, sure enough she had eclampsia. I think had I not seen her I would not have picked up the problem so early with Charli.

Scary hey..

Glad she is on the mend now.

Edited by Andisa

Picked her up, different dog! Waggy eating and happy! I have on a baby onsie so pups cant get to teats, she looks funny!

I think what really threw me off guard was them being 5 weeks old, I thought she was way past any danger so didnt even cross my mind :)

Picked her up, different dog! Waggy eating and happy! I have on a baby onsie so pups cant get to teats, she looks funny!

I think what really threw me off guard was them being 5 weeks old, I thought she was way past any danger so didnt even cross my mind :)

Glad she has picked up quicky missymoo, not nice seeing them like that.

Know what you mean about not expecting it at 5 weeks, I never thought much about it until I was told it can happen even after the pups are weaned. Since hearing that it's something that sticks on my mind long after the pups have left home.

Same as checking for pyo after seasons - I am feeling my girls for months after a season, not something I want to experience either after seeing a small fuffy bitch years ago when I was a mobile groomer.

Well Little Miss is back to normal! We had our annual BBQ for our puppy people here and she spent the day with the other dogs running around and playing with toys (her boobs flying!) (they all have to step into a box of F10 before coming in! Dogs and people)

She is still on liquid calcium and tolerating me squirting it in :)

Other then the saved leg you wouldn't know she was so ill!! Thanks for all that shared stories too (PM and here) I really appreciate it! Just goes to show you just need to be aware the whole time and you know your girls best and what isnt right :)

Pups are content and fat, loving food and not caring an inch! LOL! Mum goes in to them with my daughters old onsie on!! LOL!!