Papers/registration

Good Thanks

What happens if you purchase a puppy, fully registered, but never receive papers? Do you just have to cop it on the chin? Or is there anything once can do? I'm very nervous we are going to end up with a dog without papers, and with BSL around the corner, that makes me super nervous.

1. Establish that you actually bought from a registered breeder who was a financial member at the time the litter was supposedly registered. Your Canine Control can tell you this.

2. If the answer to the first question is "yes", I'd send one polite email to the breeder, wait a fortnight and then contact your State Canine Control.

2. If the answer to the first question is "no", I'd be contacting your state Fair Trade mob and heading for the small claims court to get your money back.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I've emailed breeder a couple of times. Have rung to check on the litters registration with the dog assoc in question. We rang the dog assoc in question before buying the pup, the breeder was known to who ever answered the phone and all was fine.

Edited by Good Thanks

I haven't registered Tank yet - apparently it is cheaper to do once I chop him. Is this correct? :)

ETA I think he is rego'd - just not in my name. I have a bunch of paperwork I haven't done anything with (my breeder told me to wait)

Edited by smashtank

I haven't registered Tank yet - apparently it is cheaper to do once I chop him. Is this correct? :)

ETA I think he is rego'd - just not in my name. I have a bunch of paperwork I haven't done anything with (my breeder told me to wait)

The OP is talking about pedigree papers, not registration with your local council. Pedigree papers should come with your puppy when you buy from a registered breeder.

Good Thanks = when you contacted your breeder about the papers what did they say? Did you call or just email.

Edited by minimax

State regulations vary as to the time required for litter registration papers to be submitted to the relevant controlling body and also whether or not the breeder MUST transfer registration papers to the new owner.

In my State we have up to 4 calendar months before litter registrations need to be submitted without incurring a late fee. Therefore it's possible for pups to be sold before the litter has been registered with our controlling body. We are permitted to sell puppies as pets without the need to ever transfer registration papers to the new owners. We are also required to indicate on the receipt of purchase whether the dog has been sold with or without the transfer of registration papers and if so, whether they are Main or Limit. It's possible for a purchaser to buy a pup which is registered on Main but for the breeder to retain the registration papers in their name rather than transfer them to the new owner.

You need to check your receipt of purchase to see what has been stated. Most state regulations require that a reciept of purchase clearly indicates what the situation is regarding the registration papers.

You dont indicate which state you are from...... in fact you say you are from "overseas" so it makes it a bit difficult to advise exactly.

You have already established that the breeder is registered with their controlling body, so perhaps a phone call to the breeder might help things along if there is proof that you are entitled to the dog's registration papers.

Edit for spelling

Edited by Wundahoo

As my pup was sold to me on limited register and was sold on a 'desexing contract' I was given the pedigree papers once I had provided the vet certificate of desexing. If your pup is on limited register and the breeder has asked for it to be desexed at an an appropriate age perhaps the same applies to you?

As my pup was sold to me on limited register and was sold on a 'desexing contract' I was given the pedigree papers once I had provided the vet certificate of desexing. If your pup is on limited register and the breeder has asked for it to be desexed at an an appropriate age perhaps the same applies to you?

Yes, exactly. This is how I use the regulations too.

My puppies are sold without their registration papers transferred to the new owners. I will only transfer them once I have been sent a certified copy of the dog's sterilisation certificate which includes the microchip number of the dog. I then phone the vet hospital to confirm that the surgery has been done and only then do I send the papers off to the owners.

It might sound a lot to do, but I have seen a false sterilisation certificate some years ago and so I always check first.

I was given a photocopy of Nacho's reg papers when i picked him up as the original needed to be sent off to get him transferred into my name. I got the original in the post a few weeks later, still on main but stamped not to be shown or bred from.

Did the breeder tell you that you were going to get papers?

Edited by moosepup

Ok update... I was told the pup would be registered under a certain prefix... the parents were co-owned. The dogs have now been transferred from that breeder, so she is telling me her prefix will not be used. The girl who bred the dogs, isn't giving me a prefix, no idea why, maybe she doesn't have one? I was promised main papers, ASAP (she wrote she likes to get them done quickly, she was born Jan/Feb). I don't actually know the date anymore because she actually changed the mother (she had two litters at one time from diff mothers) once we had pup for a few weeks, so I'm unsure of date of birth.

Ok update... I was told the pup would be registered under a certain prefix... the parents were co-owned. The dogs have now been transferred from that breeder, so she is telling me her prefix will not be used. The girl who bred the dogs, isn't giving me a prefix, no idea why, maybe she doesn't have one? I was promised main papers, ASAP (she wrote she likes to get them done quickly, she was born Jan/Feb). I don't actually know the date anymore because she actually changed the mother (she had two litters at one time from diff mothers) once we had pup for a few weeks, so I'm unsure of date of birth.

I hate to say it but this isn't sounding great :(

You need to Contact CCCQld as soon as possible.

http://www.cccq.org.au/CCCQ-Constitution.aspx

Have a read through the Constution and Riles. There are several sections which are relevant.

Get as much information together as you can. Copy all emails and any other contact that you have had from both the original breeder and the registering breeder. CCCQld have some quite strict regulations regarding partnership and ownership of breeding dogs. You should have your dog's microchip number and the details of date of birth etc may be available through that.

Also you should have a vaccination certificate as well. This also should state date of birth.

If your dog was born before the transfer of ownership then the litter must be registered in the prefix of those people who owned the dog at the time it was born. If the litter was whelped while in joint names but the prefix was held by only one owner then there is a major problem !!

If you were sold the dog and told that it would be registered and for some reason it cant then there is also a major problem which CCCQld may be interested in, or may simply suggest that you go to the relevant Qld state government department that handles consumer issues.

I think that you will need some help from CCCQld to sort this one out.

She confused our puppy somehow, I really don't understand how it happened, but she originally told us our pup was from one dog, but later I realised something didn't add up and questioned her and she said our pup was from another dog... the daughter of the original dog, so close linage but another male linage to consider. (Does that make sense?)

Her vacc's cert give her DOB.

Can you find out if someone has a prefix just by ringing Dogs QLD and give their name?

She confused our puppy somehow, I really don't understand how it happened, but she originally told us our pup was from one dog, but later I realised something didn't add up and questioned her and she said our pup was from another dog... the daughter of the original dog, so close linage but another male linage to consider. (Does that make sense?)

Her vacc's cert give her DOB.

Can you find out if someone has a prefix just by ringing Dogs QLD and give their name?

Yes, call Dogs Qld.

What exactly does your receipt state about papers?