Dangers Of Vaccinating Small To Medium Dogs.

Thanks for this. I have been weighing up whether or not to give an adult booster shot to my 1.5 yr old dog because all the vaccines here have the leptospirosis component and are a minimum c5. I am leaning towards not giving it since he had his three puppy shots while we were in Australia (no lepto given).

Jean Dodds (vaccinatinon guru) recommends the booster one year after the puppy shots and then titre testing after that.

I would get the booster or at least titre test the dog.

Even with the lepto component? My dog is also sensitive to chicken and beef which is why I have been delaying the injection- what if I make him worse? But still thinking about it.

I'd go for titre. My boy had 2 x puppy shots. I then realised that the timing of those shots wasn't optimal and even Dr Jean Dodds (whose advice and wisdom I trust a lot) recommended a booster at 12 months after the last puppy shot. Because of other health issues occurring in the meantime, I opted for a titre before I considered a booster vaccine. Results came in good. Another titre a couple of years on still shows vaccine levels satisfactory. As it is I believe we over-vaccinate but if a dog is unwell - skin issues or otherwise, I'm opposed to loading the immune system further by adding a whack of vaccine chemical to their system when in fact chances are it isn't necessary anyway.

Thanks Erny. Titre is my preference too- I have been calling up vets but few have heard of it and none so far do it. Will keep searching...

Thanks Erny. Titre is my preference too- I have been calling up vets but few have heard of it and none so far do it. Will keep searching...

There is another option regards to getting a Titre done ..... you can arrange for it to be done via Hemopet/Hemolife (Dr Jean Dodds, USA). For this, your Vet draws the required blood sample and spins it down to serum. The serum is sent to Dr Jean Dodds for testing and the results are emailed back to you.

The above is how I have done it. Initially because the first was when there weren't Vets here who were familiar with the process. The second because whilst some had become aware of the process, it was a bit 'clunky' (had to send one lot of testing one place and another to another place). With all of that it worked out a lot more expensive than it did for me to have it done via Dr Jean Dodds. That and the fact that I was sending serum to Dr Jean Dodds to check my boy's thyroid levels anyway.

If you want to check this out, go to her website. There are forms and instructions (for you in regards to packaging and shipping; and for the Vet in terms of how much blood/serum is required and what containers they should be stored in).

I ship via FedEx and generally find results are sent back in approximately 1 week - this including the few days it takes for the serum to arrive in the USA.

Thanks for this. I have been weighing up whether or not to give an adult booster shot to my 1.5 yr old dog because all the vaccines here have the leptospirosis component and are a minimum c5. I am leaning towards not giving it since he had his three puppy shots while we were in Australia (no lepto given).

Jean Dodds (vaccinatinon guru) recommends the booster one year after the puppy shots and then titre testing after that.

I would get the booster or at least titre test the dog.

Even with the lepto component? My dog is also sensitive to chicken and beef which is why I have been delaying the injection- what if I make him worse? But still thinking about it.

You are not forced to give the dog a C5 with lepto. You can request a C3 or a C4. If your vet wont do it, go to someone else who will. Lepto is probably not a problem south of Mackay - but giving the vaccination is important. C3 or C4 should do it.

Jumabaar

Love Dr BEcker though I do, I feel she may be a little biased about vacs. I think Jean Dodd, Bob Rogers in Texas, or Catherine O'Driscoll, who is a holistic vet, are more reasoned.

dancinbcs

It seems some vaccinosis diagnoses are incorrect, but there are plenty of other diagnoses which are correct. Some problems have no explanation, but when you note there have been a lot of similar problems after vac. that is what you suspect.

The other thing that 'gets me' (for want of better words) is the heading title to the thread (not aimed at the OP) - "Dangers of vaccination to small and medium dogs".

Apart from the fact that we do see vaccine reactions to large breed dogs, even if we don't it doesn't mean it isn't harming the system in some shape or form, especially through over-vaccinating.

My guys don't get anything after their booster.

The one year vaccine is not a 'booster'. It is to catch any dogs that do not respond to the puppy course of vaccinations.

I titre test and so far none of the ones I have done since doing this have needed their 1year vaccination, nor any further boosting. I assume in my area they would be getting natural exposure.

Yeah sorry, by booster I just mean they get their puppy shots, then one more 12 months later.

Thats cool. I am just putting it out there to try and change the mentality- because your not really 'boosting'. I think that changing the terminology, and really discussing why people are vaccinating (ie to catch non responders, not to boost what has already been done) does more than scare mongering because it is less biased and more straight fact. I didn't mean to pick you out specifically.

I think I will start trying to retrain myself out of using the word booster- but I think thats easier said than done because it is so ingrained into me!!

You can titre, though, before giving the vaccine at the '12 months post puppy vaccine regime' and then only go ahead with that shot if the titre does not evidence sero-conversion.

Alot of that info is American. Is it the same here? Is there any Aussie info? I too have trouble getting the vets to even understand what I want when I ask about titre testing and the cost is astronomical compared to straight vaccination...plus they'll probably charge me a double consult for the discussion as well.

You are not forced to give the dog a C5 with lepto. You can request a C3 or a C4. If your vet wont do it, go to someone else who will. Lepto is probably not a problem south of Mackay - but giving the vaccination is important. C3 or C4 should do

Jed I am overseas and all the vaccs here have Lepto and parainfluenza added, so no choice there.

Thanks Erny for the information. I managed to find a vet who titres (yay!) but at $260 AUD thereabouts for parvo and distemper so I will researc more to see if its cheaper via the US route.

Edited by ann21

You are not forced to give the dog a C5 with lepto. You can request a C3 or a C4. If your vet wont do it, go to someone else who will. Lepto is probably not a problem south of Mackay - but giving the vaccination is important. C3 or C4 should do

Jed I am overseas and all the vaccs here have Lepto and parainfluenza added, so no choice there.

Thanks Erny for the information. I managed to find a vet who titres (yay!) but at $260 AUD thereabouts for parvo and distemper so I will researc more to see if its cheaper via the US route.

That's pretty similar to the prices I was quoted too. Yet if I just give the vaccination it will cost around $80

I'm going from memory but I think the titre via Dr Jean Dodds is $85.00. Add onto that your Vet's fee for drawing the bloods (mine charges me about the standard consult fee) plus FedEx Courier fee (I use the economy service and from Australia to USA it is approx $80.00). So, if it is only for the titre, it would equate to around $225.00, not much under what you've been quoted - although depending on where you are, your FedEx fee might be less. I know my Vet does titres and I think the fee is around the $150.00 mark. Don't anyone quote me - I'd need to do a double check, but I think that's around the figure. Of course that wouldn't work for you ann21, given you're not exactly local.

I'm going from memory but I think the titre via Dr Jean Dodds is $85.00. Add onto that your Vet's fee for drawing the bloods (mine charges me about the standard consult fee) plus FedEx Courier fee (I use the economy service and from Australia to USA it is approx $80.00). So, if it is only for the titre, it would equate to around $225.00, not much under what you've been quoted - although depending on where you are, your FedEx fee might be less. I know my Vet does titres and I think the fee is around the $150.00 mark. Don't anyone quote me - I'd need to do a double check, but I think that's around the figure. Of course that wouldn't work for you ann21, given you're not exactly local.

Could you PM me the ph number of your vet Erny because even a phone call may help me get the cost down at my vets. I can ask what labs they use ect and pass the info off to my vets. It may help ya never know...worth a try