Dangers Of Vaccinating Small To Medium Dogs.

I also watched this video by Dr Karen Becker of MercolaHealthyPets

This one about titres after the initial vaccinations. There's a bit about rabies but the rest is about the over vaccination of pets.

It is nothing but common sense that the more you vaccinate against, the greater the risk of a reaction but they also forget to mention that the dogs that have the worst reactions can have hereditary immune system faults like TNS and these should be kept as separate data. I have only used the C3 for over 20 years since having a dog react badly to the KC component and my vet advises only vaccinating for what you need. We don't do lepto or rabies as routine here so no need to worry about them.

Not a vaccine but the Heartworm injection is another to be very wary of. I will never use that again after stuffing up my dog's immune system with it and fighting skin problems for years after giving that shot. We finally seem to have won the battle but it has been a long and expensive exercise to get him back to normal again.

I have also heard that giving the kennel cough vaccine to toy breed dogs under 3 months may cause some face swelling. No idea why.

Mine get a C3 at around 10 weeks & have never had any problems.

It's probably just the same mild side effects that can happen from any vaccination, but are more exaggerated in toy breeds?

Eg when you get the flu shot and feel like you've got the flu the next day :/

Thanks for this. I have been weighing up whether or not to give an adult booster shot to my 1.5 yr old dog because all the vaccines here have the leptospirosis component and are a minimum c5. I am leaning towards not giving it since he had his three puppy shots while we were in Australia (no lepto given).

Watched the video I noticed

1- it didnt discuss how many reactions there were.... you could get that data from 300 reactions which would not be much from 1.2million. (although I do believe it would be greater) but just pointing it ut.

2- they also didnt really quantify which reactions were most common. ie if 99% of the reactions were redness then perhaps this isn't so bad, (once again an exaggeration to prove my point)

So yes there was losts of information however there were some key points that could make this video much less worrying that have not been included. NB They were not well covered in the article either. I think that its great to do research but its also important to critically evaluate the source and what they are telling you. This person is clearly biased which made me want to go and read the original article to see if key points were left out- and I do think that there were things left out. Such as the typo of Lepto component is strongly linked in other studies with how much it caused vaccine reactions! Some are highly prone to it, others not so much.

ann21- no idea how prolific lepto is in your area but perhaps talk about the risks with your vet and consider titre testing instead of vaccinating. The decision to be vaccinate should be based on risk ie the risk of parvo is great so all puppies should have at least once vaccine after 12 weeks of age. The risk of Lepto in the city here is small so I dont vaccinate against it. If I lived with livestock I would have to reconsider my risk analysis a little more.

Jed- I have held off not vaccinating a sick Kelpie pup till 12 weeks of age. Its something all breeders should be aware of and consider with each litter. I do think people just blindly follow the vet (ideally first vaccination shouldnt be till 8 weeks of age to really have any chance of working, however we must vaccinate 2 weeks before puppies leaving home so many do it at 6 weeks).

I just dislike information given from such clearly biased sources. I LOVE titre testing. Although uptake with with the general population (who are not as dedicated as the population here on DOL) is not as high.

The heartworm injection is so popular, I hear of loads of people who get it.

Both of my dogs have had the heartworm injection with no ill effects whatsoever. Had it done at 2 different vets and neither of them mentioned any problem with it, and one of them I really trust to do what's best as she never over-charges and never does anything unnecessary to our animals.

In the end I decided not to do the injection again, but the reason was that it didn't turn out any cheaper than the spot on treatment, as I still had to worm and flea them anyway.

Thanks for this. I have been weighing up whether or not to give an adult booster shot to my 1.5 yr old dog because all the vaccines here have the leptospirosis component and are a minimum c5. I am leaning towards not giving it since he had his three puppy shots while we were in Australia (no lepto given).

Jean Dodds (vaccinatinon guru) recommends the booster one year after the puppy shots and then titre testing after that.

I would get the booster or at least titre test the dog.

Jean Dodds (vaccinatinon guru) recommends the booster one year after the puppy shots and then titre testing after that.

Even with the lepto component? My dog is also sensitive to chicken and beef which is why I have been delaying the injection- what if I make him worse? But still thinking about it.

google

vaccinosis

A few vaccines are a lot for a tiny toy breed. Many breeders don't vac chihuahuas till 12 weeks+

I am very wary of any diagnosis of "vaccinosis". I know of Border Collies who were wrongly diagnosed with it by vets in the US as those dogs turned out to have TNS so no wonder they reacted badly to vaccines. As similar conditions to TNS are seen in many species I would bet that they are more common in other breeds of dogs as well but no one has bothered to look for them.

Eg when you get the flu shot and feel like you've got the flu the next day :/

This was the effect on me - year after year - the only time I 'got' the flu was after a flu shot. Stopped the flu vaccine and haven't had that problem since .... only a mild cold here and there but rarely.

But doesn't matter, 'cause the doctors and all the other professional health care authorities tell you it doesn't happen, no matter what you report.

Even with the lepto component? My dog is also sensitive to chicken and beef which is why I have been delaying the injection- what if I make him worse? But still thinking about it.

I'd go for titre. My boy had 2 x puppy shots. I then realised that the timing of those shots wasn't optimal and even Dr Jean Dodds (whose advice and wisdom I trust a lot) recommended a booster at 12 months after the last puppy shot. Because of other health issues occurring in the meantime, I opted for a titre before I considered a booster vaccine. Results came in good. Another titre a couple of years on still shows vaccine levels satisfactory. As it is I believe we over-vaccinate but if a dog is unwell - skin issues or otherwise, I'm opposed to loading the immune system further by adding a whack of vaccine chemical to their system when in fact chances are it isn't necessary anyway.