Raw Whole Sardines Are Okay....right?

I bought some whole, frozen local sardines at the butcher today (1kg for $4.50!) with the intention of feeding them whole, and obviously raw, to the dogs.

There is a sign on the packaging that says "must be cooked before consumption", which has me thinking...it is okay to feed them right?

Edited by megan_

I'd say the label is for peoples.

AFAIK they're fine raw in small amounts, just gross when your dogs leave the heads around. :laugh: They're too big and spiky for my lot so bits were everywhere, we now get food grade whitebait instead when it's around.

Small amounts because sardines are quite oily and salty, some dogs get the runs.

I'd say the label is for peoples.

AFAIK they're fine raw in small amounts, just gross when your dogs leave the heads around. :laugh: They're too big and spiky for my lot so bits were everywhere, we now get food grade whitebait instead when it's around.

Small amounts because sardines are quite oily and salty, some dogs get the runs.

I second the small amounts, we discovered this the hard way!

Our boy loves sardines, however sardines, do not like him. It will be a while before we are ready to try sardines again... I have to wait for my memory of many runny poos in the house (when we were not quick enough) and in the yard (minefield) to fade away

I often buy whole fish for my boys - they love them ... but I have started getting them gutted now because I was told about a dog who had eaten a fish but unfortunately it had a fish hook inside.

I am probably a little paranoid but I don't want to take the chance ...

I gave each of mine a fresh sardine outside...Daisy rolled in hers and Mac buried his to have at a later date, Penny ate hers up too fast and up-chucked it...it stayed down the second time though :laugh:

I often buy whole fish for my boys - they love them ... but I have started getting them gutted now because I was told about a dog who had eaten a fish but unfortunately it had a fish hook inside.

I am probably a little paranoid but I don't want to take the chance ...

I had a dog die after eating a fish with a stingray barb in it. The barb pierced the blood vessel in her tongue and she couldn't be saved, the vet even came out at 9pm-midnight to help and didn't charge us a cent.

The fish was a whiting though, and was not intended for human consumption. Dad fed Nala a fish every night as he did his security rounds at the marine park we lived at. It was a one in a million freak accident though.