Crate Training

fluff1234

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:) provided they see their crate as 'home' and bed , and the best place ever ... and they are relaxed ...no they usually don't.

If a baby pup sees the crate as a way of being forcibly isolated ..and becomes distressed ... well.... there will be much misery and mess. Loose bowels are a sign of stress ...

Crate training involves much play and feeding of puppy in his crate WITH DOOR OPEN .. over a period of days or longer ... "when puppy is convinced that all good things come to him who crates"..when he happily bounces in there to sleep/eat dinner , chew a toy ..then his crate is home :)

if puppy is only allowed chewy things/meals in the crate , this makes it much easier.

For toileting ... you need to see your pup toilet - every time - so that you can then praise him and begin to teach him :) Do you use a toilet word? This takes some time, but makes life so much more pleasant for everyone once pup learns that ###### means "wee/poo" and a playtime, or treat, or happy Mum ;)

Be patient. He may be unhappy about the crate after that experience. You'll need to build him back up to it gently, with loads of special foods and toys, and yes keep the door open for as much as you can.

Then when the door is closed, you are right there as a comforting presence and he has something delicious to chew on.

And you don't leave him there, alone, for a while yet if you can arrange that.

Give him time to adjust and try to put him in there when he's tired, and therefore more likely to want to naturally settle.

Good luck! It's worth it. Once they love their crates, it becomes a very useful training and management tool around the house.

Actually can I ask where his crate is in relation to the rest of the house? I have found it helps a lot in those initial stages where they are getting used to the crate if they can see you but know they are to stay in there, so any time you put them in their with the door shut initially stay in the room but go about doing something and talk quietly to yourself, praise pup verbally when they are settled. For example have it near the kitchen and while pup is locked in the first few times make yourself a cup of tea while they can see you, don't acknowledge carry on and the second pup stops, even just for a second lots of verbal praise(I don't even turn around, I just continue what I am doing but my verbal cues get happier and more praisey). First few times only need to be for a few minutes and then pup comes out. I also make sure I have taught sit at the same time so puppy sits while i open the door and gets a reward for that as well. As puppy gets better extend it by sitting on a chair nearby and quietly reading a magazine while you drink your cuppa :)