Crate Training

fluff1234

Well, I stood outside until i was late for school and no poop, so he ate at 6 am ( when he pooed in ther crate) then NOTHING ate at 11 am nothing, I left at 2.30 pm, nothing. Came home to poop in the crate and him sat next to it, he had his kong in front of him and had been eating out of it, depsite his poo being right near him ?????

He probably gets a pretty good reaction for pooping in the crate too - maybe a loud noise, a fuss, attention, telling him he's naughty etc ... all of which a pup can take as positive reinforcement.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He may have been raised in a pen, and got used to having poo nearby. It may take time to train him to do it outside reliably.

Be patient, and carry some awesome treats! Best option may be too teach him to toilet on command, and you take him out at set times.

Remember, he gets a fabulous fuss and reward every time he poos outside. Don't hold back in your praise. It sounds like he needs to relearn his toilet 'norms'.

Edited by Zug Zug

That's very tricky. I'm not really sure what to suggest - my pup would wee anywhere but seemed to know from the beginning to poo on his turf toilet inside, or on the grass outside. It must be really frustrating!

If you think he's not keen on outside in general yet, then maybe try an inside toilet. We started that way for when he was stuck in his plyapen, and when it was cold, or rainy. Now he's older he goes exclusively outside, but having the inside toilet was brilliant when he was little.

This is the one we bought:

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Extra-Large-Pet-Indoor-Dog-Potty-Training-Toilet-Loo-Pad-3-Tier-76x51cm-p187234.htm

As babies, the urge to poo can also be triggered by what puppy sees/ feels under his feet ;)

If your pup was kept in a pen, under cover , with concrete etc as flooring - then his body may have got the message "roof + flooring " = poo . instead of

"big sky + grass = poo"

I've never heard of people being advised to keep pups out of their own backyards because of parvo risk. Unless there has been an infected dog in there before, you have more chance of bringing it home on your shoes... If it gets good results, then let him go where he needs to I reckon! :)