Community Dog Event

efowler

Contact Les and Christine Speerin from The Grooming School if you want great groomers and grooming advice... they are great, and are usually very happy to help out with events like this...

http://www.thegroomingschool.com.au/au/contact-us-dog-grooming-course/

They are the organisers of Groomquest - http://www.purinagroomquest.com/ - you could maybe even meet them in the flesh there in August and have a chat.

T.

Contact Les and Christine Speerin from The Grooming School if you want great groomers and grooming advice... they are great, and are usually very happy to help out with events like this...

http://www.thegroomingschool.com.au/au/contact-us-dog-grooming-course/

They are the organisers of Groomquest - http://www.purinagroomquest.com/ - you could maybe even meet them in the flesh there in August and have a chat.

T.

Excellent thanks T. Ill try to get there.

Personally I would like to see something at these events that educates people about the benefits of choosing a registered breeder. They might have bought their current doggy from a pet shop and that's OK but maybe they might make a different decision next time. Would need to be someone approachable and friendly who isn't going to be 'judgy' about decsions that may have made in the past but will share info in a non-judgemental way.

I wonder if Dogs NSW or similar do stalls, ill find out. I was thinking of a purebred breed feature or 2 to show off some good purebred dogs.

How about approaching local/regional breed/group clubs?

Love everyone's ideas.

My biggest bug bear with demos at these things is not seeing happy, engaged dogs. We have one demo troup from a well known training school up here and every time I see them the dogs just look stressed and miserable. Obedient, yes, but happy to be there and keen to work - not on your life.

Just worth bearing in mind when choosing dogs/groups to do demos.

I've been to quite a few doggy/pet events now with Peiradise. The things I like are new small businesses having the opportunity to show off their new products whether they be hand made or commercial because some of us are always looking for either something new or something of superior quality. I prefer they are grouped with the same though - small businesses or hand made together and commercial together. Contests with giveaways on the day for owners and dogs (at one event we had to provide a couple of small gift baskets which were used as give aways). The doggy psychic Amanda de Warren did some free sessions (very popular). Things need to be spread out so there is open space between all the dogs (or pigs, birds and ferrets) that might come on the day. No-one wants to stand in the hot sun to watch fly-ball or doggy dancing. But if you choose to have something going into the late afternoon you could always have sunset animal movies. There are companies that hire the gear out. I'd recommend food and drink vendors be spread out where possible. It is difficult with kids and dogs to be in a queue amongst other queues to get food.

Ams has told me that at one pet expo they had a lot of second hand but working dog gear like retractable leads and they sold really quickly and they got feedback that it was great to have affordable items like that at free events for people who couldn't afford new items. I can't say your local RSPCA is the same but there have been some who get donations of things like retractable leads that they can't use and they donate them for re-sale/use to rescues.

My last idea is one I desperately want to try (but can't talk anyone else into it!) - a Petcasso stall. Supply small canvasses and the paint and put clear plastic over the top so the dogs don't get dirty and charge a fee for people's dogs to create their own art! I reckon it would be a real goer and a lot of fun to do and watch!

Oh and what about a story time spot for tired mums and kids? Somewhere cool with maybe a fairy and a very calm dog just reading an animal book?

Personally I love seeing demonstrations - be it agility, obedience, flyball etc.

Homemade stall items, like knitted jumpers or handmade collars/leashes etc. I love looking through those stalls more than the big commercial stalls (but free treats and sample bags are always good from them!)

Make it a dog friendly event. I have been to a few "dog expo" type events and they have been dog free zones. Seems pointless to me. Generally i wouldnt take Jager with me, but its nice to know that he is welcome there. Obviously make it leash mandatory :)

Competions for the kiddies?? Maybe an under 10 years obedience comp where the child has to get the dogs to sit, drop etc?? (everyone wins a small prize)

Maybe like a comedy skit about the rights and wrongs of dog ownership??

Oooh comedy skit would be awesome!! I think Kitty Flanagan is ambassador for Delta dogs...maybe ill have to look into it.

Love the idea for kids obedience comp too.

I've been to quite a few doggy/pet events now with Peiradise. The things I like are new small businesses having the opportunity to show off their new products whether they be hand made or commercial because some of us are always looking for either something new or something of superior quality. I prefer they are grouped with the same though - small businesses or hand made together and commercial together. Contests with giveaways on the day for owners and dogs (at one event we had to provide a couple of small gift baskets which were used as give aways). The doggy psychic Amanda de Warren did some free sessions (very popular). Things need to be spread out so there is open space between all the dogs (or pigs, birds and ferrets) that might come on the day. No-one wants to stand in the hot sun to watch fly-ball or doggy dancing. But if you choose to have something going into the late afternoon you could always have sunset animal movies. There are companies that hire the gear out. I'd recommend food and drink vendors be spread out where possible. It is difficult with kids and dogs to be in a queue amongst other queues to get food.

Ams has told me that at one pet expo they had a lot of second hand but working dog gear like retractable leads and they sold really quickly and they got feedback that it was great to have affordable items like that at free events for people who couldn't afford new items. I can't say your local RSPCA is the same but there have been some who get donations of things like retractable leads that they can't use and they donate them for re-sale/use to rescues.

My last idea is one I desperately want to try (but can't talk anyone else into it!) - a Petcasso stall. Supply small canvasses and the paint and put clear plastic over the top so the dogs don't get dirty and charge a fee for people's dogs to create their own art! I reckon it would be a real goer and a lot of fun to do and watch!

Oh and what about a story time spot for tired mums and kids? Somewhere cool with maybe a fairy and a very calm dog just reading an animal book?

Thanks Little Gifts, great ideas!! I really like the Petcasso stall idea. Will look into it. Fee could be donation to an animal organisation.

Petcasso sounds awesome! Have you seen the book 'Why cats paint'? Some pets are very creative. :laugh:

Just googled the book, looks interesting lol

I really think the Petcasso idea would be excellent for a rescue to do. Get the supplies donated and charge a small donation. Would be very popular ;)

Petcasso sounds awesome! Have you seen the book 'Why cats paint'? Some pets are very creative. :laugh:

Just googled the book, looks interesting lol

I really think the Petcasso idea would be excellent for a rescue to do. Get the supplies donated and charge a small donation. Would be very popular ;)

It would be hilarious too. :laugh:

And give people a little keepsake, even if they just wanted little pawprints to keep. :heart:

I've done Peicasso's with some of our foster pei but the idea started when I was at a rescue auction event and paid $70 for a framed piece of art work by a foster dog. I just loved it! Still have it and have also had all my dogs do art work as well!

There are some tips to it. First off you need to get the flat hard canvasses as the ones with the backing frames can get punctured by toenails. Obviously you will use non-toxic paint (like you would with kids). You don't need much on each canvas - I'd let the owners pick the colours they'd like - you put little dots of it on the canvas and then 'encourage' the dog to walk on it or touch it. We used treats to get them to walk back and forward. If the dogs are ok about it lightly lift and tap their paws on the canvas as another suggestion to get 'art'. I doubt you will get any to hold a paint brush in their mouthes and do it that way but you could also take some paint brushes with you! They will need to dry so don't put the paint on too thickly or it can take hours! Also right the dog's name and the date on the back before you start so the art work doesn't get mixed up.

My plan was to have canvasses in three sizes - the cheapest selling for $5 then $7.50 and $10. You could also sell those little plastic stands on the day as well (upselling!). You can buy these items as well as the paint at those $2 shops pretty cheap. You really don't need big bottles of paint and I'd suggest getting some of the glittery or metallic types (silver, copper, etc) as kids like it and you can always squirt smidges on a piece to bling up what the dog has done if they weren't cooperating!

The original petcasso kits say to put clear plastic over the canvas so the dogs don't get paint on their feet. You can simply buy some cheap paint drop clothes from Bunnings for this. OR. You can get into the spirit of things and have a bucket and some towels on hand and clean up the dog afterwards. It is really up to you. We have had a furry butt sit on a canvas, which took some cleaning up but mess and fun go together for me. Maybe you offer both options?

Do you need any photos of what I've bought or prices or even examples of some doggy art? Let me know and I can take some snaps and add here.

The good thing about this idea is that it is fairly original and lots of fun - you will end up with lots of spectators, which means more people want to try.

My other idea (which was unsuccessful) was a Doggy Kissing Booth. I found a cardboard cubby house set up and added our colours to it and some curtains but it was such a windy day it kept blowing off the table. I'll see if I have a famous pic from it though to add to this post (it sums up the success of the kissing booth that day!).

post-33739-0-92665300-1375848556_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Bumping this old thread up as Ku-ring-gai Council will be hosting a Dogs' Day Out Event - Sunday 30th March, St Ives Showground, Sydney.

post-32296-0-27925400-1392169013_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested in becoming a stallholder please email [email protected] - rescues, breed clubs, businesses, etc.

Some details on our website, should be more soon. It should be a really fun event!!

Thank you everyone for ideas and suggestions!!