Best Foods For Weight Gain?

kelpiecuddles

My basset has always been difficult to keep weight on. She's healthy, shiny and happy but just a tad too lean for my liking(she's not anywhere near skinny, just has more waist than i would like on a basset). I'm very picky about my dogs weight so I want to get the balance right for her.

Currently they are fed a diet formulated for working dogs but even this doesn't seem to be helping unless i give her a ridiculou amount of food so I am wondering what people would recommend to help get some weight on her without having to give her gigantic meals? Would a puppy food do a better job of it? She's very active, has been wormed, etc. Nothing sinister going on, just a very busy dog!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mal is super lean and very active so goes through food fast. I feed semi lean mince (minced beef fat meat and off cuts but not bone); sardines; whole raw egg; beef or lamb brisket/flaps as well as raw meaty bones like chicken or turkey wings.

She also gets the Animal Naturals Super Fuel supplement with her meal every night which helps to keep weight on and bulk up muscle

My Wolf is a very lean dog and keeping weight on him is near to impossible. He gets fed twice a day. Meals alternate between biscuits, lamb flaps, egg, fish, chicken wings, meaty bones and the latest addition is oats mixed with blood. That has made a real difference and he loves his blood porridge

I would mix sardines into her dried and I would chuck a whole raw egg in there as well at least once a week. I don't feed dried but it might be worth looking into other brands if this one isnt the one your dog is doing best on?

Animal Naturals make a supplement for weight gain but I don't think it will be available here until next year.

What are brisket bones? I'm a bit limited here, it's about a 40 minute drive to the closest butcher and otherwise I only have a small Coles about 15 minutes away and they only have 'mixed soup bones'. I buy things in bulk from the butcher when i can but that's reliant on having the freezer space.

They both have done really well on the dry, she looks great usually but i had to get a different brand in a 'I forgot to buy food' emergency about a month ago and the weight just fell off her in the space of a week while they were eating it :( . She looks much better and her weight seems fairly stable since being back on her regular food(she was really dull too) but I just need something to try to boost her weight back up to where it should be.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

So I just googled, are lamb flaps the same thing as brisket bones? If so she is already getting those in the evening. I need a fast food that she can eat quick in the morning as she'll have to get an extra meal that the kelpie will miss out on(kelpie is slightly larger than i would like at the moment). Maybe some semi-lean plus an egg or some sardines if she'll eat them(wouldn't eat whole fish but sardines might be more appealing). When buying sardines which ones do people buy? Is there a brand that has less salt?

Edited by kelpiecuddles

1375877290[/url]' post='6272102']

Because she's already getting quite a large meal and I'm concious that bassets are more prone than some breeds to twisted bellies so I don't want to overdo things for her in terms of volume.

Two meals a day is still more. Porridge has little nutritional value for dogs. You need to increase the amount of fat in the diet for weight gain.