Antlers?

bianca.a

Hi all, my rather large pup Cooper cannot seem to handle any types of bones now. I have tried marrow (with the marrow removed, lamb necks, roo tails etc and nope he gets the runs. He has had a load of blood work done so I am confident it is the bones. Problem is now I need something decent to keep his teeth pearly white. I had though Swayd sold antlers and have sent her a message via her webpage but does anyone have another source please?

Thank you in advance.

Guest hankodie

Crap I spoke too soon, the large and extra large ones are out of stock :(

I had the same dilemma! I ordered from this eBay supplier and was pretty happy with the quality, not sure if they have extra large ones though but it's worth a look: LINK

I was about to suggest ebay - they seem like a good price.

Do you give Cooper yoghurt? My boy continued to have runny ones for months after various tummy upsets, but after giving him daily yoghurt they're now so firm I can pick them up easily. Has made an amazing difference for him.

We got them once. The dogs didn't like them anyway, and frankly they looked dangerous to me. We give them cow hooves instead. I wouldn't say they are easy on the stomach. If the dogs eat a big chunk they will throw it up again. It's not particularly digestible stuff. I can't imagine antlers would be more digestible, and the shape and sharpness of some of them alarms me a little.

Gus gives his a hiding and throws it around, has left it out in the rain and all kinds of things and it's got no sign of a splinter at all. They're fab things in my mind.

We got given a free cow hoof at the pet shop (actually, Gus pilfered it from under the treat stand and the woman wouldn't let me pay for it after he put on the cutes and started dancing around showing it off to everyone) but my god does it reek now. I want to throw it away when he's not looking, but I'm torn he loves his stolen good so much. Ick.

I don't know if they splinter. Ours disappeared pretty fast. I have no idea what happened to them. They are either lost outside or one of us threw them out. I actually found they smelt worse than the cow hooves, but not all of them. Some were very stinky and some not so much. We just use marrow bones, now.

Guest hankodie

CrazyCresties, they don't splinter at all and the ones I bought are pretty much odourless. After a bit of chewing they go a bit soft but are still hard enough that my dogs can only gnaw off little tiny pieces at a time. Also if I recall correctly they are 100% digestible because they're mostly composed of keratin. I guess the only real danger I've read about is dogs breaking teeth while chewing them as they're so hard, but I imagine you run the same risk with cow hooves?

bianca.a I feel your pain, my girl can't have raw bones or food either and I have unfortunately resorted to brushing her teeth every day :laugh: she doesn't mind it now and it keeps her teeth nice and clean.