Puppy Problems

Aleksandra 157

I have an 8month rough collie,with a few training problems,would be so grateful for any suggestions!he is an entire male and almost hyperactive ,pacing fences,2acre section and generally

On high alert most of the time.He is a beautiful boy and we love him so much.I am at present doing obedience training with limited success and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you for your reply.I am new on here and couldn't seem to get the introduction thread right,so a few things about me!From New Zealand, living in Nelson after the Christchurch

earthquakes destroyed our house.We now live on a large fenced property with our Jesse (collie) and Lulu our 4yr Japanese spitz.Jesse was bought after our male JS died suddenly

probably due to shock and stress of earthquakes.Back to Jesse,he gets lots of exercise running with Lu and also on lead as much as I can.I am unable at present as last Sunday I was walking them,he pulled,I fell and injured my face and legs, dr insisted I have a few days in bed.As you said,he is very intelligent and I sometimes have difficulty keeping him occupied mentally.We have an adjoining property with a giant schnauzer that Jesse can here but not see.He is obsessed by this and even inside we have to pull the curtain or he jumps at the window to get out.When outside he jumps at the fence,barking incessantly so we have to bring him back in.Also he has started barking quite aggressively when visitors arrive.Sorry to go on but really don't know what to do.I have always had dogs,always purebreds..including a rough collie but he was very much quieter.We love him so much so rehoming is not an option,but things have to change.Thank you so much for reading this. :confused: :)

Teach him 'tricks' and basic obedience with a twist - for example as well as sit teach him to sit on a certain object (mat or something else flat I mean :D ), down and down with your front feet crossed, fetch a toy and put it in a basket or on a certain place (again, a mat perhaps) which can lead to put your toys away.

An internet friend of mine had a broken leg and taught her dog to put his toys away, fetch tissues, close doors and all sorts of other things because she couldn't walk the dog or do "regular" obedience which is what she usually did, so kept his mind occupied in other ways.

A young dog with a tired mind is way better than a young dog over exercised and hyped up with nothing to do.

I don't have any experience with a rough collie other than Lassie, lol, & many years ago when I used to walk April to school with my son I'd stop off for her to have a play with a lovely collie fellow on the way home.

Have you taught him some basic manners like sitting before he gets any privileges?

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/adolescent-changes

Yes tricks are good. Better than long walks to tire out the brain.

Edited by luvsdogs

Thanks so much for the great ideas!Such a coincidence but I go to Vikki at suggested link,we are half way through but missed yesterday because of fall!I The obedience is great and we are also learning tricks.I think I will get some one on one behavior help as Jesse has started

barking quite aggressively when a neighbor came into the house unexpectedly yesterday.Fortunately she has dogs and did not panic so we quickly removed her.It really gave me a fright as I really felt he was totally in control,not me.Any suggestions would be so appreciated as at

present I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong! Have had Keeshond,Samoyd,and a collie in earlier years with none of these problems.

The barking may well have sounded aggressive but what was the dog's body language telling you?

IMO "quickly removing" a dog from a situation where it is uncomfortable can often re-inforce the idea that there was something for it to be uncomfortable about.

Not saying you should let the pup rush up to visitors and maul them, just saying that if the dog is barking but it's body language is not shouting aggression then you have a totally different problem than if the dog is barking and it's body language is aggressive.

Do you have a crate? If you have a crate and he is crate trained you can make it a habit that everytime someone knocks on the door he goes to his crate. This gives him something to do other than barking and lets him know you are in control.

For the dog next door I'd work on rewarding him for ignoring it. But definitely ask your trainer for help in fixing the problem as she knows you and him :)

Great suggestions again! Yes, his body language was definitely aggressive .He leapt on her and I feel he would have bitten.He is a particularly big dog even at this age.He is very protective of my husband and me,and as we live rurally he does not see that many people.He is an angel when we take them both to cafes etc which we sometimes do to help socialize him.This behavior is only on our property.He is crate trained for sleeping but I have not used it for anything else .Will give it a try though...good idea! I can see that removing him may not have been the best thing but I really didn't know what else to do......Thanks so much. :)

Now that I am getting to know rough collies this just sounds like the exact opposite of what you'd expect from them (obviously a big generalisation, but they all seem to have such great temperaments).

Is there a specific reason he is entire? And do you think desexing may help?

I have learnt that collies are talkative breeds, so some of what he is doing in regards to the dog next door etc may be a bit of talkative-ness. In which case that's a training issue to settle and quiet him. I would also contemplate creating a fence within the fence so that he can't get to the fence where the other dog is, that may help with the barking at the other dog. Does the other dog bark? And if so can you work with the neighbour to keep both dogs happy and quieter?

And I definitely agree, start teaching some tricks and pretty much doing any activity that gets his brain working!! I've found that the collies tend to not necessarily work for a long time but they work well intensively. So lots of short training sessions to get the brain going could do him the world of good. Seeing as though you're on acreage could you maybe make a few jumps and whatnot and do some backyard agility with him. Fun and brain work!!!

To be honest, I would seek the help of a veterinary behaviourist. IMO the dog should not be constantly on the go and aroused and need tonnes of mental stimulation. Take it from the girl who used to give her dog 2 hours of physical exercise a day plus close to 2 hours of chewing activity, plus daily trick training sessions of 20-40 minutes. Every time his arousal shoots up it can take many hours for his stress hormones to return to normal. So if he is getting aroused multiple times a day and/or for long periods, he may be stuck in an arousal cycle, never really having the chance to calm down and properly rest. This will make him ever more reactive, and his behaviour more extreme and difficult to predict. Trying to meet his needs by giving him MORE exercise and stimulation may end up perpetuating the problem rather than solving it.

Or maybe not. I'd be getting a vet behaviourist in to identify exactly why he is behaving this way and tailoring a program to address that.

ETA If behaviour is caused by heightened arousal and emotional states, you cannot reinforce it. Reinforcements act on behaviour itself, not on arousal or emotion, which are instead subject to classical conditioning. Attempts to change the behaviour through reinforcement or punishment will likely be semi-effective at best unless you address the arousal and emotional state driving the behaviour. As such, removing the dog from a situation where they are over-aroused and behaving inappropriately is recommended. It won't make it worse at any rate. Leaving the dog where it is upset or highly aroused probably will make it worse.

Edited by corvus

Thank you for more great ideas!I would like to do 2fences,but its along boundary so would be expensive .IIm beginning to think along the line like Corvus suggested, that he may be

overstimulated.Over the weekend we kept him mainly inside and today the human males (talk loud,move quickly,etc,bless them) are away for a few days and Jesse is very quiet and

well behaved.Different altogether .I have arranged some one on one time at our property a s a p.iI bought Jesse from a very good breeder and she also has been very helpful!I will get

him neutered very soon.

You could use an electric fence to keep him off the existing fence and break the habit of fence running. Also remember to reward him for calm behaviour. Don't think of it as being rewarded for doing nothing, it is rewarding him for learning to chill out and relax.

There is nothing wrong with having a good guard dog so long he learns that you are in charge and will decide who to let in. Solid obedience training so you can call him to you and get hold of him is the best solution.

Update on Jesse....I like the idea of an electric fence but have no knowledge about them e.g.could they harm him ?i have taken your advice Corbus and last couple of days I have kept him very quiet.While I am on my own is a good time to try new things!Both dogs have been so good ,no barking,no pacing just chilling out .I think he may have been getting too much exercise as he would run the fences most of the day! I have

also had a chance to check the behaviour between the two dogs, and now realise it is Lu who usually starts the barking

She has a very loud,high pitched yap which I thought followed him ,but it is actually the other way around.

Thank you all again for the great advice...

Update on Jesse....I like the idea of an electric fence but have no knowledge about them e.g.could they harm him ?i have taken your advice Corbus and last couple of days I have kept him very quiet.While I am on my own is a good time to try new things!Both dogs have been so good ,no barking,no pacing just chilling out .I think he may have been getting too much exercise as he would run the fences most of the day! I have

also had a chance to check the behaviour between the two dogs, and now realise it is Lu who usually starts the barking

She has a very loud,high pitched yap which I thought followed him ,but it is actually the other way around.

Thank you all again for the great advice...

Really happy to report Jesses behavior is very much improved! He is much calmer and barking less.I am keeping him inside more and that has helped.He is still very stroppy about visitors .Last Sat we had two male friends arrived unexpectedly,walked straight in and Jesse could see them through a glass door.Chaos for a few minutes while husband removed him,I think he would have bitten if left.The visitors were very boisterous and loud ,with no knowledge of dogs,so I was not surprised.The comments from all of you have been so helpful thank you .We graduate from obedience class this week but I will begin another one. :)

• 1 month later...

Update on Jesse....again.Sure I must bore some people with all my updates,but it is following the advice I received on this site that have made the changes! Both dogs went to boarding kennels for a week while we were in Melbourne and came home with much improved behavior

.The owner of the kennels is also a dog trainer and we discussed jesses problems earlier.The staff. made sure he was socialized with many various size dogs,gave him a great deal of exercise and generally helped his lead walking etc.Just wondered if anybody has experience with the Halti head collar.I have had this recommended by a couple of people including my vet,who thinks it would help me control him while walking him.He still is reactive on the lead in that he will jump and pull if we see another dog I am too small to hold him .Thanks for reading this..... :)