Unique Breeds Of Dog

Little Gifts

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez people! They are using this technique as a way of getting attention - and it worked! You would assume/hope that the normal adoption application and assessment processes would still be adhered to regarding all dogs rehomed. The names they have used are long and sometimes ridiculous. They are designed to make a bitsa dog seem a bit more special and stand out so it might at least get noticed amongst the thousands of other dogs also needing homes. Look at all the proud people of these strange dog breeds that are now out there spreading the word about rescue dogs.

I'm actually sorry I even posted this now. Where are your happy faces/funny bones? Did you just watch the beginning and make some assumptions about gimmicks and designer dogs?

I am aware it's to get exposure to the rescue dogs and I'm glad, as I said, that they're finding homes. However they were exactly the same dogs before they got their silly new 'breed' name, why are people suddenly interested in them with a name change?

Is it because the dog got more exposure or is it because many people are foolish and believe some big fancy name makes the dog more worthy of buying?

I'm sorry but I have to wonder and I fail to see the humour in perpetuating a problem we already have in people making up new breeds all the time. Yes some of the dogs had long, fantastical names but how is the name a mini chocolate goldendoodle any less long and silly? (and yes I've seen that one before)

Can you imagine what would happen if a proud new owner came on here naming their new dog by it's fancy new breed name? They'd be crucified.

Geez people! They are using this technique as a way of getting attention - and it worked! You would assume/hope that the normal adoption application and assessment processes would still be adhered to regarding all dogs rehomed. The names they have used are long and sometimes ridiculous. They are designed to make a bitsa dog seem a bit more special and stand out so it might at least get noticed amongst the thousands of other dogs also needing homes. Look at all the proud people of these strange dog breeds that are now out there spreading the word about rescue dogs.

I'm actually sorry I even posted this now. Where are your happy faces/funny bones? Did you just watch the beginning and make some assumptions about gimmicks and designer dogs?

Some folk don't find anything remotely amusing about made up breed names for crossbred dogs. :shrug:

I am doing support work for rescue day in and day out now Bjelkier and think this is smart and cute way of getting attention and standing out from the crowd. We often come up with silly names for cross breed pei simply because it encourages interest, comments and sharing that the dog is looking for a home. Sometimes they also get crazy names. We will stick the word 'pei' in anything we can to attract interest. We dress the dogs up for events (the ones who are ok about dressing up of course). BUT, it doesn't change how we care for or rehome these dogs. And it doesn't make a dog more worthy of buying over another - using a funny or cute approach simply attracts attention and more foot traffic. Rescue groups are constantly trying to find the uniqueness in each dog when they advertise it already - this is just extending the idea and I'm sure there would be a way of advertising a dog by a crazy breed name that ensures potential adopters don't think this is an actual breed.

Edited to add I am clearly in the minority today when it comes to mixing some love and joy in with the despair of rescue. I'd ask for the thread to be deleted but always think it is childish when people throw a tantie and do that. But I am incredibly disappointed in the responses and particularly who they are from. Could be because I'm hormonal today but it could also be because our rescue has been dealt some particularly bad blows of late with some beautiful dogs that can't be rehomed through no fault of their own. A little ray of sunshine and hope in the form of a silly and I thought harmless idea (if handled correctly) feels like it has been shat on because of fears it could lead to something more sinister or stupid. I shrug in return :shrug:

Edited by Little Gifts

I'm happy the dogs are finding homes but the promotion of rescue dogs doesn't need to come at a cost.

They're still relying on visual identification, which is impossible in mixed breed dogs. Furthermore, what happens when a popular 'mix' isn't available at the shelter? Will they effectively be creating a demand for crossbreeds? Will Backyard Breeders/Puppy Farmers see this as an opportunity to cash in (especially considering the publicity)?

Great that these dogs are gaining exposure and getting adopted, no one could deny that that's fantastic for them. But what happens when someone ELSE wants an Alaskan Collie Fluffy Terrier? (Or whatever it was.) This was the dog that had the most Facebook likes I think they said. What's to stop someone with dollar signs in their eyes cashing in on this niche market by trying to recreate this "breed"?

ETA: I was posting at the same time as Plan B. Basically, yes what he/she said.

Edited by cassie

It did say adoptions only increased by 1.4%. I thought by sound of it, they would have increased by more than that. But I guess its only 45 days in.

There's something about it that makes me feel uncomfortable. I guess because its just not making the most of what the advantages of rescue are. Maybe they should be emphasising how you can get a really good fit between you and the dog because you know exactly what the dog is like. Or even the fact that it is nice to be giving a dog a second chance. But I guess those ideas aren't as glamorous as the 'unique breed' idea.

I am doing support work for rescue day in and day out now Bjelkier and think this is smart and cute way of getting attention and standing out from the crowd. We often come up with silly names for cross breed pei simply because it encourages interest, comments and sharing that the dog is looking for a home. Sometimes they also get crazy names. We will stick the word 'pei' in anything we can to attract interest. We dress the dogs up for events (the ones who are ok about dressing up of course). BUT, it doesn't change how we care for or rehome these dogs. And it doesn't make a dog more worthy of buying of another - using a funny or cute approach simply attracts attention and more foot traffic. Rescue groups are constantly trying to find the uniqueness in each dog when they advertise it already - this is just extending the idea and I'm sure there would be a way of advertising a dog by a crazy breed name that ensures potential adopters don't think this is an actual breed.

Well, given that the Pet Rescue website doesn't allow even purebred dogs to be advertised by breed name, I wish you luck.

As I said, I'm clearly in the minority today. This isn't something you could use on Pet Rescue - the thinking is more outside the square than that. We couldn't even use this for our breed because we are a breed specific group. It's simply an idea to attract attention - not a money making scheme or a contagious virus.

Guest donatella

There's always 1 (or 2 or 3)

Going by the video it looks as though they picked a few 'mascots' out to get the message across that mutts are unique. Can't see how it's different to any advertising drive.

Oh that didn't come across that way to me, I do prefer that idea. I really thought they were marketing each one as a special breed.

God forbid people disagree with something......

I saw it as sending the message that even if a dog doesn't have a mile long pedigree, it is still special. Rather then calling it a "mutt" which seems to denigrate the dog they are giving it a fancy name to highlight the unique qualities of the dog.

I don't think they are seriously suggesting that they are creating a new breed... just using a lighthearted approach to get people thinking about "mutts" in a new, kinder way. It looks like a very effective advertising campaign to me, and anything that helps match up dogs with their forever homes is surely a good thing?

I am not a breeder / show-er (what is the correct name for someone who shows dogs??? :confused:) so that possibly means I can see the funny side of it? Also, i'm watching at work and have no volume... don;t know if that affects the message :laugh:

Contrary to what people seem to think pedigree owners/exhibitors/breeders DO have a sense of humour but how, tell me PLEASE, is this any different from a 'breeder' or owner slapping a fancy name on a cross breed to find it a home?

It just seems to me that it's ok for one group to do something and not for someone else. :shrug:

Edited by Bjelkier

Guest donatella

God forbid people disagree with something......

Or see the lighter side of what it was trying to portray :laugh: