Unique Breeds Of Dog

Little Gifts

Geez people! They are using this technique as a way of getting attention - and it worked! You would assume/hope that the normal adoption application and assessment processes would still be adhered to regarding all dogs rehomed. The names they have used are long and sometimes ridiculous. They are designed to make a bitsa dog seem a bit more special and stand out so it might at least get noticed amongst the thousands of other dogs also needing homes. Look at all the proud people of these strange dog breeds that are now out there spreading the word about rescue dogs.

I'm actually sorry I even posted this now. Where are your happy faces/funny bones? Did you just watch the beginning and make some assumptions about gimmicks and designer dogs?

There's always 1 (or 2 or 3)

God forbid people disagree with something......

On a forum wherea breed name REALLY matters to some members.

BREEDS are unique to those who love them. Perhaps if you have no passion for a particular breed it matters less to you. The cutsey name may help "sell" a dog and God knows pet shops and BYBs are onto that one. I don't see how rescue jumping on the bandwagon deserves universal acclaim. :shrug:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a breeder / show-er (what is the correct name for someone who shows dogs??? :confused:) so that possibly means I can see the funny side of it? Also, i'm watching at work and have no volume... don;t know if that affects the message :laugh:

I'm not a breeder/exhibitor either and I can definitely see the fun in the marketing campaign. But I just think any marketing/adoption strategy that relies on bad science (visual identification) and can have harmful flow-on effects (people creating these popular 'breeds' themselves) is probably not the best way to go about it. Like I said, promotion of rescue dog shouldn't come at a cost.

Edited by Plan B

I am doing support work for rescue day in and day out now Bjelkier and think this is smart and cute way of getting attention and standing out from the crowd. We often come up with silly names for cross breed pei simply because it encourages interest, comments and sharing that the dog is looking for a home. Sometimes they also get crazy names. We will stick the word 'pei' in anything we can to attract interest. We dress the dogs up for events (the ones who are ok about dressing up of course). BUT, it doesn't change how we care for or rehome these dogs. And it doesn't make a dog more worthy of buying over another - using a funny or cute approach simply attracts attention and more foot traffic. Rescue groups are constantly trying to find the uniqueness in each dog when they advertise it already - this is just extending the idea and I'm sure there would be a way of advertising a dog by a crazy breed name that ensures potential adopters don't think this is an actual breed.

Edited to add I am clearly in the minority today when it comes to mixing some love and joy in with the despair of rescue. I'd ask for the thread to be deleted but always think it is childish when people throw a tantie and do that. But I am incredibly disappointed in the responses and particularly who they are from. Could be because I'm hormonal today but it could also be because our rescue has been dealt some particularly bad blows of late with some beautiful dogs that can't be rehomed through no fault of their own. A little ray of sunshine and hope in the form of a silly and I thought harmless idea (if handled correctly) feels like it has been shat on because of fears it could lead to something more sinister or stupid. I shrug in return :shrug:

I must be in the minority too as I think it is a great way to raise awareness to the plight of many mixed breeds in shelters. If you have a look at the way they write numbers they have used a dot instead of a comma on the dollars as well. I am confident in assuming adoptions went up 1400% - Thanks for sharing the link I enjoyed it.

I am not a breeder / show-er (what is the correct name for someone who shows dogs??? :confused:) so that possibly means I can see the funny side of it? Also, i'm watching at work and have no volume... don;t know if that affects the message :laugh:

Exhibitor :)

They have done hand painted breed certificates. That would be difficult to do for every dog so it would make sense that only some dogs were given names and used for their promotion. Their shelter also looks quite different to what is probably the norm over here (dozens of dogs in the open behind wire fences).

And what about all the laughs the Deshonko dog breed threads here on DOL have attracted (pointing at someone in particular here)? Is it only ok when 'qualified' people make funny stuff up about dogs? I don't think that has led to any BYBs getting new ideas or people seeking out that same breed of dog? I'm sure I will be corrected by someone if I am wrong.

And I don't mind different points of view but there are some huge jumps being made here that this idea in Costa Rica will lead to something dark and sinister in our local communities. All I see is beautiful dogs in need being celebrated for their uniqueness. My bad.

I'm with you little gifts, I think it's a great idea. Each dog is given a unique 'breed' name and desexed so it's highly doubtful that this campaign is going to contribute to the growing number of designer breed names.

Humans identify with our own often unique ancestry so it's understandable that many people want a similar understanding of the dogs they own. This organisation is giving these dogs breed names that the owners can be proud of rather than referring to their loving dog as a mutt or a mongrel which are words that are often used to insult both dogs and people these days.

They have done hand painted breed certificates. That would be difficult to do for every dog so it would make sense that only some dogs were given names and used for their promotion. Their shelter also looks quite different to what is probably the norm over here (dozens of dogs in the open behind wire fences).

And what about all the laughs the Deshonko dog breed threads here on DOL have attracted (pointing at someone in particular here)? Is it only ok when 'qualified' people make funny stuff up about dogs? I don't think that has led to any BYBs getting new ideas or people seeking out that same breed of dog? I'm sure I will be corrected by someone if I am wrong.

And I don't mind different points of view but there are some huge jumps being made here that this idea in Costa Rica will lead to something dark and sinister in our local communities. All I see is beautiful dogs in need being celebrated for their uniqueness. My bad.

You mean me, of course.

I was taking the piss out of the whole process of puppy farming - including the made up names. Perhaps you missed that aspect of it.

Pretty hard to chase down a made up breed of dog when several of the Deshonko campaigns didn't feature dogs AT All. :shhh:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Contrary to what people seem to think pedigree owners/exhibitors/breeders DO have a sense of humour but how, tell me PLEASE, is this any different from a 'breeder' or owner slapping a fancy name on a cross breed to find it a home?

It just seems to me that it's ok for one group to do something and not for someone else. :shrug:

i didn't mean to say that they don't have a sense of humour... just that I am less invested / less passionate than someone who spends a lot of time and effort developing, showing and breeding their purebred dogs.

Most of my dogs have been "bitsa's" so maybe that gives me a different perspective- It is only my current dogs that are anything approaching a purebred.

Again, it is different if they are trying to create a new "designer" breed of a firetailed border cocker or whatever it was... but I think they are deliberately making the names sound farcical enough to show that it is just a cute way of describing individual dogs. Some of those new "breeds" look like they might be a little diffcult to recreate :laugh:

I saw it as sending the message that even if a dog doesn't have a mile long pedigree, it is still special. Rather then calling it a "mutt" which seems to denigrate the dog they are giving it a fancy name to highlight the unique qualities of the dog.

I don't think they are seriously suggesting that they are creating a new breed... just using a lighthearted approach to get people thinking about "mutts" in a new, kinder way. It looks like a very effective advertising campaign to me, and anything that helps match up dogs with their forever homes is surely a good thing?

well I don't know if its really doing that. It did say that adoptions had increased by 1.4% which is a very small amount and could be down to anything really.

I agree that it is a shame that the term 'mutt' has become a dirty word. I personally think it's one of the reasons that so many people with a mixed breed dog refer to it as a breed name and why others get caught up in the oodle phenomena.

My mutt gets called a mutt when people ask me, and their reaction is one of such frustration... "but what breed is he?" they ask me... people have forgotten what the word mutt actually means.

I saw it as sending the message that even if a dog doesn't have a mile long pedigree, it is still special. Rather then calling it a "mutt" which seems to denigrate the dog they are giving it a fancy name to highlight the unique qualities of the dog.

I don't think they are seriously suggesting that they are creating a new breed... just using a lighthearted approach to get people thinking about "mutts" in a new, kinder way. It looks like a very effective advertising campaign to me, and anything that helps match up dogs with their forever homes is surely a good thing?

well I don't know if its really doing that. It did say that adoptions had increased by 1.4% which is a very small amount and could be down to anything really.

I agree that it is a shame that the term 'mutt' has become a dirty word. I personally think it's one of the reasons that so many people with a mixed breed dog refer to it as a breed name and why others get caught up in the oodle phenomena.

My mutt gets called a mutt when people ask me, and their reaction is one of such frustration... "but what breed is he?" they ask me... people have forgotten what the word mutt actually means.

That's exactly what my x bred dogs have been called as well. I never felt the need to make up a name for them. They were mutts, I'm not ashamed of it and fail to see why anyone else would be. If you love your dog you love them regardless of the name they go by

Pot. Kettle. Black. I'm sure this shelter is taking the piss out of designer dog breeders too (whether consciously or not). I did actually own one of the Deshonko breeds. Can't remember what it got called on the thread but it was a Corgi/GSD cross and I posted a pic of him.

I wouldn't do it but seriously, look at the number of dogs in that shelter. :eek:

The campaign may not have looked very far past the immediate effect of increasing their rehomes etc but it looks to me like it was a clever marketing strategy borne out of desperation. Really no different to using overly emotive profiles or leaving out the important bits so they get more inquiries.

A while ago rescue was advised by visiting O.S. shelter managers doing speaking tours to use words like "blend" instead of crossbreed (as it's a successful tequniqe in the US) . To make it sound like an actual product. The example of coffee beans was used. :laugh: Appealing to the consumer type thing.

And if people believe it's all in a name and their rehomes increase what can you say? Look at what Costa Rica is dealing with and walk in their shoes.

A while ago rescue was advised by visiting O.S. shelter managers doing speaking tours to use words like "blend" instead of crossbreed (as it's a successful tequniqe in the US) . To make it sound like an actual product. The example of coffee beans was used. :laugh: Appealing to the consumer type thing.

I didn't know about the speakers but that's what we're moving into! The blends will have names but they are focusing on behaviour/characteristics/environment, rather than visual identification. We don't breed label at all so it felt like that may be the next step and people like to have a bit of fun. It also means we can literally have millions of blends, so they can still be tailored to each individual dog, but just vague enough that there might be some who will share a blend. Hopefully it also entices adopters to read the full write-up, which really gets into the individuality.

1003921_708064079220961_1134162237_n.png

Do you happen to have links of OS rescues using that system? I'd love to look at it and steal all their things. :D

I think the reason this doesn't sit well with me is the use of the phrase "when you adopt a mutt, you adopt a unique breed". If they'd said "unique dog" I'd be all for it.

That makes sense. It sits better with me too because it is about individual dogs.

Handmade! Original! One off design! All true but I don't think I'd be using those descriptors either for a living thing.

I've jumped down from my high horse now. Clearly hormonal.

Love it Plan B! What a fantastic idea! See, thinking outside the square to attract attention and stand out!

I didn't know about the speakers but that's what we're moving into! The blends will have names but they are focusing on behaviour/characteristics/environment, rather than visual identification. We don't breed label at all so it felt like that may be the next step and people like to have a bit of fun. It also means we can literally have millions of blends, so they can still be tailored to each individual dog, but just vague enough that there might be some who will share a blend. Hopefully it also entices adopters to read the full write-up, which really gets into the individuality.

Do you happen to have links of OS rescues using that system? I'd love to look at it and steal all their things. :D

I love this. Entertaining and adorable yet still unique to each dog. Very clever.