Products For Dogs With Sensitive Skin

Kavik

Since a few of my dogs have dermatitis at the moment, so sensitive skin, I'm trying to reduce things which could possibly be causing a problem. I've done a big cleanup of the yard and getting rid of any suspicious looking plants. Since it is more than one dog, I'm wondering if it is something in the environment.

Any ideas on products which would be mild so OK for dogs with sensitive skin?

Laundry detergent

Dishwashing liquid

Floor cleaner suitable for wooden floorboards

Best food

Edited by Kavik

I use those "green" eucalyptus type products for floor washing and eucalyptus wool wash to wash the dog's bedding. I steer clear of more harsh chemical type cleaners. As for food I have tried all types of the "sensitive skin" type kibbles and none seem to help the itchies :shrug:

Yes, same as Rosetta, I use Eucalyptus wool wash and hot water to launder dog bedding etc. I do it weekly.

For wood floors, regular vacuuming and I mop with hot water and a splash of eucalyptus oil. This helps keep dust mite numbers down (Bruno is highly atopic to dust mites.)

I don't use a particular dishwashing liquid. But I use ceramic or stainless steel bowls rather than plastic.

And food. Hooley dooley. I can't help there. We are still doing an elimination diet with periodic re-challenges. Elimination diet is currently goat and quinoa. Hydroxyzine (antihistamine) and fish oil twice daily help. As does Cortavance on flare ups on the skin.

For my dog its been proven that he doesn't have a food allergy (though I guess this can change) so I can't help you with food, after many diet changes (due to his skin meds upsetting his stomach) he's on Science diet and that turned out to be what he does well on. If I add any rich foods to his diet (in protein or fat) he vomits.

I always use a washing liquid (omo sensitive) rather than powder and use vinegar as my rinse/fabric softener.

For cleaning products I stick to Earth Choice (http://www.naturesorganics.com.au/) but will also use vinegar and eucalyptus oil.

For my dog at the moment there's so much pollen around and everyone I know who has hay fever is suffering bad so I would suspect your garden is the cause!!

ProPlan has a new sensitive skin and stomach formula which I will try when I can get a hold of it

http://pets.purina.com.au/proplan/dog/proplanSensitiveSkinStomach.asp

I've been really happy with it. It is a bigger kibble size than current one and must taste better too. I've had my dog on it for the last 4 weeks.

Thank you for the positive feedback! Will definitely be giving it a go! Ingredients list looks promising.

ProPlan has a new sensitive skin and stomach formula which I will try when I can get a hold of it

I've been really happy with it. It is a bigger kibble size than current one and must taste better too. I've had my dog on it for the last 4 weeks.

Thank you for the positive feedback! Will definitely be giving it a go! Ingredients list looks promising.

Is it an Australian made product? I agree the ingredients look quite good.

My 3 just finished their first 12 kg bag - The bag states ' Made in Aust. ' Nestle Purina in NSW. It's the first fish based dry I've ever tried them on - so I'll be going back for another bag.

My bag is the previous one ( has a different dog on the front )

Edited by luvmybulldog

What are people's views on heartworm and flea/tick products for dogs with sensitive skin? Currently I am using Interceptor for heartworm/intestinal worms and Advantix for fleas/ticks (I am in a tick area). One of the dogs with sensitive skin doesn't like me putting the Advantix on and tries to get away. Not sure what else to use, I've heard Frontline is not as effective. I have kids so has to be something which is safe to touch once it is dry. Also deciding whether to go back to Heartgard, as one dog's skin problems is recent and this is the only recent product change.

My 3 just finished their first 12 kg bag - The bag states ' Made in Aust. ' Nestle Purina in NSW. It's the first fish based dry I've ever tried them on - so I'll be going back for another bag.

Has there been a decrease in itchy skin since they've been on it?

Is it an Australian made product? I agree the ingredients look quite good.

All PRO PLAN is made in Blayney NSW.

What are people's views on heartworm and flea/tick products for dogs with sensitive skin? Currently I am using Interceptor for heartworm/intestinal worms and Advantix for fleas/ticks (I am in a tick area). One of the dogs with sensitive skin doesn't like me putting the Advantix on and tries to get away. Not sure what else to use, I've heard Frontline is not as effective. I have kids so has to be something which is safe to touch once it is dry. Also deciding whether to go back to Heartgard, as one dog's skin problems is recent and this is the only recent product change.

The only time my boy has had a Tick on him was when I couldn't get any Advantix & bought some Frontline instead. I don't find it nearly as effective. My girl is very sensitive (not her skin though, she is just touchy) & hates

having Advantix applied but it's better than her dying from Tick poisoning. As for any other products that are effective, sorry I can't be of any help as I am not game to fix what isn't broke as the saying goes & try something new.

Only other thing I use is a Preventic Tick collar but if you have littley's I wouldn't use one of those as they do smell & if you touch them the product will get on your hands. Not safe for children IMHO :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Has there been a decrease in itchy skin since they've been on it?

I mainly changed over because the PBGV has a patch near her rear end that gets really dry and itchy for her and she also chews at her belly and back legs - have seen major improvement in her coat and she's definitely not chewing herself. The others have never had problems with any food I've fed - they all get raw / veges / yoghurt and cheese as well as the dry - I can't say if it would be the same for everyone's dogs but mine all seem to be doing well on it, skin and coat wise. My local pet shop still had the old version on the shelf today so it will be a few months till I can try the new one.

Re the Proplan. Why do they always put beet pulp in dry food? It's nothing but a sugar & when I mentioned it at the pet barn I buy my pet products the storeman said it was to lessen the smell of the poo. Although in this one it's at the end, but Vit C is mid-way & dogs don't need it because they produce their own.

I've heard & seen on youtube wonderful things about coconut oil too. I bought some but haven't used it enough to see it's benefits.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Melrose Health make an organic castile soap that I use as a hand wash, body wash, dog shampoo and laundry detergent. I buy it in bulk...

http://www.melrosehealth.com.au/health_products/Personal_Health_Care/Lemon-Myrtle-Castile-Soap.aspx

I buy the lavender one and add extra lavender, rosemary and tea tree essential oils to it. It lathers up beautifully on my Pug and is a good flea deterrent as well.

I also use Earth Choice products around the house and I sometimes buy products from Golden Glow and Tri Nature (which can be bought in bulk)...

http://www.goldenglow.com.au/healthy-home

http://www.trinature.com/content/21_Content.aspx?page=111&categoryID=368

eta

And I feed my Pug an organic diet now.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

I have also made my own flea control products...

Homemade flea control recipes etc

Mikki flea comb and bowl of soapy water (to dip the comb in)

Natural flea shampoo:

500 ml organic castile soap

0.75 ml organic lavender oil

0.75 ml organic tea tree oil

0.75 ml organic rosemary oil

Natural flea spray:

500 ml witch hazel

0.5 ml organic lavender oil

0.5 ml organic lemongrass oil

0.5 ml organic eucalyptus oil

0.5 ml organic peppermint oil

0.5 ml organic rose geranium oil

Rosemary flea dip:

2 cups organic rosemary leaves

3 cups boiling water

Cover herbs with boiling water and steep with lid on for at least 20 mins. Strain and add to clean bath water. Do not rinse.

Natural ear cleaner:

125 ml purified water

125 ml witch hazel

125 ml organic apple cider vinegar

125 ml aloe vera juice

2.5 ml organic tea tree oil

Natural worm treatment:

Tri Plex anti-parasite tincture

Dosage is 1 ml per 1 kilo of body weight. Repeat in 7 days (recommended by Dr Bruce Syme)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Re the Proplan. Why do they always put beet pulp in dry food? It's nothing but a sugar & when I mentioned it at the pet barn I buy my pet products the storeman said it was to lessen the smell of the poo. Although in this one it's at the end, but Vit C is mid-way & dogs don't need it because they produce their own.

I've heard & seen on youtube wonderful things about coconut oil too. I bought some but haven't used it enough to see it's benefits.

I always thought because it is a cheap fibre source.

Some dogs do need vitamin C supplement - when they are down in the pasterns or looking east west. It is also a vitamin that gets excreted if not needed.

Further if you read this article then there is no sugar in it when it's used as a fibre - http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/beet_pulp_myth.htm - as an aside, Linda Arndt (the author) is highly regarded for her knowledge re diet.

Edited by Danois