Warts!

Steph M

Gus has a sizable wart on his pretty cheek. It's grown a heap since 8 weeks and it's foul haha.

It started off the size of a grain of rice and is now about a pea sized cluster of conjoined warty goodness.

I've had 2 vets look it over and both assure me it's nothing major, will drop off in it's own time/can be nipped off when he's desexed. No biggie.

The thing is, not only do I hate it, and am sick of explaining what it is to passers by, but it's loose in parts. It's a small cluster really, and he's started knocking it on things during play or the like and it bleeds a little. I clean it with warm salt water and pop some betadine on it but I've about had enough of it. Haha.

The vet did offer to nip it off, but suggested a general would be best and I'm not sure if unnecessary anesthesia is a good idea, or that it wouldn't just come back again, which apparently can happen.

So this brings me to my dilemma, do I just wait for it to drop off, even if he does keep knocking it or is there a handy home remedy that might help speed up the process?

Anyone had any experience with puppy warts?

I was going to add a photo but it's really quite ugly and looks like a demon possessed sea anemone. Haha.

Id love to see it! Wow I have never seen or heard of a wart on a young dog? In the salon we see plenty of 'warty goodness' but it's rarely on dogs under middle age, usually seniors?? Learn me all about warts on youngsters, please !! :thumbsup:

Gosh, it's as ugly as sin. I believe it's a puppy or senior thing, well so the vet says. I could be wrong.

As you wish!

EOy22iG.jpg

My mortal enemy, ruining puppy photos and being generally gross.

See where it's very red? That bit is hanging on by a thread, so to speak so I imagine that'll be the first to go but there's a few little ones there. Funnily enough it's the only one, so fingers crossed no more come up.

If it's confirmed harmless I usually do wart removal when they need another procedure like a dental unless it can't wait like growing on an eyelid or somewhere they can be torn, chewed or scratched off.

If he hasn't been desexed yet you can always do it then. :) Desex is so quick it only adds a little extra to the time they are under anaesthetic.

Desex is about another 5-8 months away, I forgot to mention that! He's only just 5 months, and being a larger dog I thought we'd wait it out as long as we can. 5 is the minimum I'd be happy with, depends how he matures I guess.

But hopefully no surgery required in the mean time. Touch wood! Haha.

It's attractive isn't it?!

It does look a lot bigger than it is, thanks Macro camera setting! Lots of tasty detail there. :eek:

Oh I didn't realise he was still so young! Now I'm hoping for your sake that it drops off. :rofl:

If he sat still for long enough I could try it?

It's a few littler ones, the mega one is in the behind. I could probably experiment on the foreground one. I just don't want to make it worse or cause more to pop up. A small blessing is that they're centralised and not all over!

It does look a lot bigger than it is, thanks Macro camera setting! Lots of tasty detail there. :eek:

Oh I didn't realise he was still so young! Now I'm hoping for your sake that it drops off. :rofl:

It's a total gem! Will photoshop it off the Christmas Card. Hahaha.

It's a total gem! Will photoshop it off the Christmas Card. Hahaha.

:laugh: I can just imagine it. Merry Christmas from Wart and his friend Gus.

Had them here just recently on a youngster, he had them in his ear and they grew to fill his outer ear, we removed them them and they came back,removed them again and they came back so we cauterized them at time of castration and that and maturity did the trick. Litter mate had them in his mouth. They are viral, and tend to appear after an immune system event in young animals, in this we think case vaccination. Horrid looking things. Until this I hadn't heard of them for many years.

Louis had one on the underside of his tongue about 6 weeks ago.

post-34105-0-32331600-1378780114_thumb.jpg

I haven't noticed it recently, so I think it's subsided.

They are viral, and tend to appear after an immune system event in young animals, in this we think case vaccination.

Louis has IMHA at the moment and is on immune suppressant drugs, one of which has skin side effects like this! Luckily he has had minimal side effects though :)

I hope Gus's one clears up soon, at least Louis's wasn't too visible!

eta - I like your sea anemone analogy, but I think Goose Barnacles are more accurate :laugh:

4918824381_1604fe9132.jpg

Edited by CrazyCresties