Is Bullmastiff The Next Pitbull?

mixeduppup

There seems to be a lot of American Bulldog types around also, which to most people could look like Bullmastiffs. I have noticed a lot of those around in the last few years, and this is in Tassie - so not pig hunting territory. They are another type that vary in appearance, and look.

This is my theory - right or wrong - no idea but a theory. Mastiff has became the label for large x bully breed dog. Five years ago they were pitbulls for the slightly smaller bully crosses and mastiff for the larger ones. But the 'considered bad' pitbull name is dropped off a bit and any shorthaired, big headed cross dog is a mastiff. BUT 10 years ago, or so, these dogs were called BULL ARABS - a large shorthaired bully cross designed to chase and catch pigs. NOW the BULL bit is added to the MASTIFF bit by mistake and so becomes the BULL MASTIFF. Most, probably all, people who use this term don't even know what a real bull mastiff even looks like and I don't think many of these dogs even have it in their parentage at all.

I used to have a large black dog (pet shop special from my husbands first family). He looked like a very tall/large lab with straight back legs. He was always referred to as a lab*mastiff. I doubt he had any actual bull mastiff in him but something short haired and big. BULL ARAB type dog I expect.

Bullarabs aren't a breed though. They're just a type and that type varies so widely. Bullarabs usually have Dane, working dog, a bit of sighthound and something heavier and the dogs can look like anything. Horse Puppy is not a Bullarab and has none in her but there is a dog down the road who is a bullarab and looks almost identical to Horse Puppy. In reality I'm pretty sure if the dog has no real defining qualities of a single breed then 'Large mix breed', 'Medium mix breed' etc will suffice. Our need to label everything is putting innocents in the line of fire.

Many people think they are a breed. As does the ABBA, The Australian Bull Arab Association. My cousins are piggers and all have heaps of bull arabs are as you describe. But many people would call them a bullmastiff *. To me it is just a big dog type as well.

I just think BULL ARAB that is where the BULL came from. After all mastiff is a type so I actually don't mind them being mastiff * but not a BULLMASTIFF*. Unlike pitbull which is a breed (thetically) but most think it is a type as well - that annoys me. I hate when commonly people use an actual breed name for a type - as you said.

Incidentally, what is Horse Puppy - do you know his breeding.

This week end I met a very large dog owned by an elderly lady who would be called bullarab or bull mastiff *. But she called her a Ban Dog. She was one of the most lovely dogs I have ever met and the absolute perfect dog for this owner who lived alone, couldn't walk much due to ill health and this girl was very happy laying at her feet all day. Polite, calm, barks when someone knocks and otherwise silent. The lady loved her to death.

Horse puppy has a full great dane dad and a neo mastiffXkelpie mother

I've only ever seen an actual Bull Mastiff at a dog show. Lovely dogs, but fairly rare I would have thought. I doubt that there is much (if any) Bull Mastiff in any of the dogs involved in the latest news stories.

As others have mentioned, people like to attribute a breed label to their mixed breed dogs. Some of the 'breeds' I've heard people think their dogs are ( or their BYBer's say they are) are absolutely ridiculous! I think people like to romanticise the truth. Why have a mutt when it sounds so much more interesting to attach a breed name with a rich history...

Edited by trinabean

I recently rang a camping area here in qld. It would seem that anything that has "bull" in the breed is a Pitbull.

Friends have a mini bull terrier who plays with my BC. It is not allowed as it is a "pit bull"

The media has a lot to answer for when it comes to breed stereo types and traits.

I recently rang a camping area here in qld. It would seem that anything that has "bull" in the breed is a Pitbull.

Friends have a mini bull terrier who plays with my BC. It is not allowed as it is a "pit bull"

The media has a lot to answer for when it comes to breed stereo types and traits.

I love Bull Terriers and I use to own 2. I was walking my female at a local market one day when a lady grabbed her daughter by the arm and yanked her up into the air and loudly yelled 'stay away from the Pitbull'. I looked around before realising she meant my dog, who looks nothing like a Pitbull. Some people are fools.

I get 2 common reactions with my Bulldogs, people either smile and fawn all over them(which they love) or they give them a wide berth and watch them warily. If there were ever 2 dogs that were less likely to bite anyone I've yet to meet them and it makes me sad that people judge them based on their looks.

Media/society breed bias has always been cyclical. Before the Pit Bull it was the Rottweiler, the German Shepherd Dog, and even the Bloodhound back in the 1800s.

There was always going to come a day when the Pit Bull's turn was over and a new breed ended up in the spotlight.

Many of us working against BSL were doing so not only for the Pit Bull but for ALL dogs - to actually end this ridiculous cycle once and for all and have people thinking critically and scientifically about dogs.

Unfortunately very few breeds and breed clubs would associate themselves with the BSL issue, believing their dogs would be forever safe because they weren't those awful Pit Bulls. They allowed it to happen and sacrificed the APBT because they believed it would keep their own dogs safe.

I sincerely hope that this isn't the cycle happening all over again but I have also noticed the shift in media reporting since Deeon was killed in NSW. It could be the beginning of it.

Edited by melzawelza

Banning pit bulls has the effect of making the macho dingbats who want muscle dogs look for something bigger that can't be confused with a pit bull. The public doesn't know what to call these, but 'bullmastiff' seems to sound good to those who don't know better. I expect there will be a lot more such reports . . . not because of the dog breed but because of the idiots on the other end of the leash.

Sad but true SG. Banning any breed won't work. The macho idiots will find a different large breed to use to beef up their image. No doubt another name will be invented for them. The responsible dog owners will be punished for those as well. :(

b.s. mastiff would be a suitable name :grimace:

Lets put it up for a vote. :laugh: :rofl: