Sedation Wearing Off

lilypily

How long should it take for a dog to recover from sedation.? My old girl was sedated today at 3:30pm for a ultrasound. The vet used ACE and something else (its not written up on my account). It's now 5hrs later and she's totally out of it with her tongue sticking out - this doesn't concern me. Her breathing is very rapid and noisy - this does concern me.

It wasn't a GA, just a sedation to make her relaxed for the ultrasound.

In the past she has recovered fine from sedations, she is older now though????

Am I worrying unneccesarily?

When Brandi was sedated (to get a seed wart removed and her nails clipped. Le sigh.) she was out of it for the rest of the night. We roused her to take her outside for a pee and then put her back to bed. I kept a close eye on her made sure she was ok. The next morning she was a little hung over.

The breathing might worry me a bit though. Could you call a vet? Is she distressed otherwise? Dreaming?

I rang the after hours vet. She is unconcerned, I am though. She hasn't slept at all, won't drink and in between the noisy breathing she is sooking/crying. Her breathing is so fast, her belly is going in and out crazy.

The dopeyness doesn't phase me at all. Unfortunately there is no other vet to ring for a 2nd opinion here as the vet clinics combine their after hours service. I'm closely monitoring her.

THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A VET AND DO NOT PLAY ONE ON TV.

A quick google indicates that these symptoms might be normal. Your poor pup is probably disoriented, possibly nauseous and/ or in pain and shaky. People seem to advise keeping the dog warm and comfort as much as you can.

Dogs can get a little agitated with some sedations. I can't remember the name of the condition :o .

ACE as far as I know (and I'm no vet either btw) acts mores on the body than it does on knocking them out. Giving it a sedation affect of the body without slowing down their brain...so she may well just be a little anxious or a bit confused. Hence the breathing and still being awake and sooking.

It's probably going to be a long night for you but if at any point you're still worried, call the vet again, as many times as you need. It doesn't matter how many times someone says a drug reaction is normal, you still worry. Have nice dim lights, keep things calm and if she tries to sit up but can't try propping her with a pillow.

xx

Thanks guys, Powerlegs I think you're right in that it's going to be a long night. She has recently had a fair bit of ACE after her ACL surgery, and yeah that bombed her out for atleast 24hrs, but no breathing issues. I wish I knew what the other sedative was that they used.

Her breathing has not got any worse, so that's a good sign.

Ok, off to see if I can get to sleep with her.

She is fine this morning

Like I said I know what effect the ACE has on her (i'v still got some here). Whatever the second agent was is what must have affected her.

So all good, i'll just be sure that she isn't given that particular drug again. She's never had breathing problems from a sedation or anaesthetic before.

Good update! Hope you have a chance for an afternoon nap today!

Thanks. She settled fairly quickly in bed - ofcourse laying horizontally in the middle of the bed. I didn't have the heart to move her, so I slept all twisted up :laugh: '