Sighthound Or Wolfhound Rescue

I remember this website on the Sighthounder page but I don't think anything has happened on that page in the last couple of years.frown.gif Or the associated FB pages.

There was a DOL thread when it started up way back when.

We get a few "stag" hound hunting mixes out this way, the odd puppy will go through rescue but the adults don't make it out of the pounds very often. crying.gif

I remember this website on the Sighthounder page but I don't think anything has happened on that page in the last couple of years.frown.gif Or the associated FB pages.

There was a DOL thread when it started up way back when.

We get a few "stag" hound hunting mixes out this way, the odd puppy will go through rescue but the adults don't make it out of the pounds very often. crying.gif

[/quo

Thanks for that rural pug. That's interesting re them not making it out as they are usually rescued out of places like MIldura Pound. Is that the Ballarat RSPCA you mean?

There is an unofficial network of us sighthound people that do some rescue. :wave:

We also work with/come from various related breed clubs. Rescue our own breeds, and network amongst each other to help sighthounds generally. There is also Soul Companions rescue doing sighthounds, but mainly salukis, afghans and the slightly smaller ones.

Pound dogs like "Staghound" crosses can be tricky ones as we have all encountered dubious temps from time to time. And they have a reputation for being very hard to fence in/contain. But that doesn't necessarily preclude them from rescue, it just gives them their own set of circumstances to be considered.

I have actually lost count of the people that have come to talk to me about my dogs in public, at shows etc and brought up the subject of owning "Lurchers". The scruffy houndy crossbreds have quite a little following out there and potential homes for suitable ones should be pretty easy to find. But they need good marketing, and many people (especially those from UK backgrounds who are often their biggest fans) don't necessarily understand Australian terminology like calling them "Scruffers" or "Staghounds". I'm often telling rescue folk to call them lurchers...

Edited by Alyosha

There is an unofficial network of us sighthound people that do some rescue. :wave:

< snip >

But they need good marketing, and many people (especially those from UK backgrounds who are often their biggest fans) don't necessarily understand Australian terminology like calling them "Scruffers" or "Staghounds". I'm often telling rescue folk to call them lurchers...

I can relate to this :laugh: The number of times I have been out walking our girl (deerhound cross something, we think), and heard "oh, a lurcher, can I have pat, please?" And I've replied, yes, of course, and are you English? Which always amazes them. I explain that I have only ever come across English calling our mixes lurchers (confused me the first time!). Always have a good chat and yep, they definitely love their lurchers.

Sorry to take thread OT.

We will always help a scruffer in need if we have room...usually very quick to rehome, specially the real scruffy ones :D

thank you. We are looking for a country home for a wolfie cross whom I suppose you could say had a dubious temperament. He has lived on small acreage having a quiet life for a few years and we were asked to help him after a family break up. He adores his foster carer but he is not suited to city life - he just wants to hang around his person all t he time, inside and outside, and not be subject to a lot of stressors.

Generally my own wolfie cross died of bloat 2 years ago now, and is irreplaceable. We don't have any trouble with the scruffers, small and large, but some we recognise are not suited to city living.

< snip >

But they need good marketing, and many people (especially those from UK backgrounds who are often their biggest fans) don't necessarily understand Australian terminology like calling them "Scruffers" or "Staghounds". I'm often telling rescue folk to call them lurchers...

I can relate to this :laugh: The number of times I have been out walking our girl (deerhound cross something, we think), and heard "oh, a lurcher, can I have pat, please?" And I've replied, yes, of course, and are you English? Which always amazes them. I explain that I have only ever come across English calling our mixes lurchers (confused me the first time!). Always have a good chat and yep, they definitely love their lurchers.

Sorry to take thread OT.

a few years ago I helped get some large Lurcher types from the pounds in Sydney and they were all adopted by English people.

I called one "Alfred" as he was very like the Lurcher from Heartbeat ...

My mum has a Lurcher in the UK, he only has 3 legs and is called "Reg" - she got him from Battersea Dogs Home.

We will always help a scruffer in need if we have room...usually very quick to rehome, specially the real scruffy ones :D

thank you. We are looking for a country home for a wolfie cross whom I suppose you could say had a dubious temperament. He has lived on small acreage having a quiet life for a few years and we were asked to help him after a family break up. He adores his foster carer but he is not suited to city life - he just wants to hang around his person all t he time, inside and outside, and not be subject to a lot of stressors.

Generally my own wolfie cross died of bloat 2 years ago now, and is irreplaceable. We don't have any trouble with the scruffers, small and large, but some we recognise are not suited to city living.

I'll let you know if I hear of anything.