When Did It All Happen ?

animals

Im sure this topic may have been done a thousand times.

Talking with alot of dog owners over the years many of whom are around 40 .Its funny how there are so many people who owned a pittbull.I don"t mean a cross breed but an actual Pitty .

Were there alot in Australia ? what happened to them all ? .I know they are still here and while Im guessing most are a x and those who know the law maybe keeping them under the radar .

However I just thought it was interesting to come across such a variety of people who owned one and of all the breeds people mention pitbull comes up alot as their dog of the past they love to talk about and with such love for the dog .

***In case you are wondering why so many people talk freely with me ..Im a foster carer and meet greets and chatting with people is a big part .People often love talking about their pets and when they come to adopt alot of times they are reminded about their past dog by something they see another dog do so are happy and willing to share :)

There are still quite a lot of pedigreed dogs around - real APBT with papers - but they are closely guarded and people really have to be able to prove themselves over a long period of time to get one.

There are endless amounts of 'pit bulls' in the pounds and in people's backyards. They're without papers for generations, it's really impossible to know what they are. They might be APBT, they might not. Much more likely that they're not. But they look the part so they're often targeted negatively for that reason.

But you're right, many, many people have owned them in the past both here and overseas and they've stolen many hearts :)

Edited by melzawelza

I've found an awful lot of pure pit bulls are now referred to as staffy x or lab x by their owners. At least, those owners who don't want to lose their dogs sort of keep the breed a secret.

I love getting a booking to wash a 'lab x', sort of, sort of biggish. Right. They usually admit in the end that it's actually a pitty.

I've found an awful lot of pure pit bulls are now referred to as staffy x or lab x by their owners. At least, those owners who don't want to lose their dogs sort of keep the breed a secret.

I love getting a booking to wash a 'lab x', sort of, sort of biggish. Right. They usually admit in the end that it's actually a pitty.

If it's bigger than a Lab it's not an APBT ;)

Edited by melzawelza

Im sure this topic may have been done a thousand times.

Talking with alot of dog owners over the years many of whom are around 40 .Its funny how there are so many people who owned a pittbull.I don"t mean a cross breed but an actual Pitty .

Were there alot in Australia ? what happened to them all ? .I know they are still here and while Im guessing most are a x and those who know the law maybe keeping them under the radar .

However I just thought it was interesting to come across such a variety of people who owned one and of all the breeds people mention pitbull comes up alot as their dog of the past they love to talk about and with such love for the dog .

***In case you are wondering why so many people talk freely with me ..Im a foster carer and meet greets and chatting with people is a big part .People often love talking about their pets and when they come to adopt alot of times they are reminded about their past dog by something they see another dog do so are happy and willing to share :)

At some point they were banned from importation. So I assume what original lines left are (as Melz said) closely guarded by breed lovers.

The rest....well being a large muscled crossbreed with a red nose does not make a pit bull. Which is why people have had real problems with visual identification deeming their dogs restricted breeds and nitwits claiming to own a pit when it most likely isn't.

I find the same with my bulldog, many older people are familiar with the breed and owned one in the past. Could it be a case of changing dog fashion. Bigger properties allowing for keeping of bigger dogs? Just general negative press meaning less people keen on getting one.

Edited by hankdog

They're still around but due to our stupid laws have been either forced underground or as melz said, kept away. Because they are banned, good breeders can't breed good examples and instead idiots are breeding what they call APBT, but what are really mutts.

It really sucks as there are good reasons why people speak of them as such great dogs, they are.

The rules against importation have been around for many years. I recall when I imported a dog from the UK back in the very early 90's, there was a place on the import application for a vet in the UK to certify that the dog was NOT a pitbull or any of the banned breeds.

The rules against importation have been around for many years. I recall when I imported a dog from the UK back in the very early 90's, there was a place on the import application for a vet in the UK to certify that the dog was NOT a pitbull or any of the banned breeds.

I think the import ban came in in 1991.

I don't know how strong they are on it though - a friend of mine moved to QLD from Canada with her papered AmStaff (with cropped ears which would usually at least draw attention) and her unpapered bull breed with a red coat and a red nose. No problems, no questions asked.

I owned two pitbulls in the mid nineties, I remember about 1997 there was a scheme in Victoria to cull pitbulls and people were encouraged to bring them to their vet clinics to be euthanised for free. I decided then that I would look at another breed once I lost my two.

So sad :(