Adopting From A Pound

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you koalathebear for your replies. It clears up quite a lot of my issues.

My only prior experience with "rescue" was ladies who loved dogs and couldn't bear the thought of any being put to sleep. They usually had too many dogs and all were uncontrolled and cossetted. Their homes were absolute tips and inside smelt horribly of dog (my home smells of dog but never that bad). Even heading towards dog-hoarding.

I do understand owning dogs for years does not make you an expert. I feel it is what you do with those dogs and how they behave that shows what sort of owner you are. This can also change over the years, just like an unsettled dog can suddenly relax when a person moves into or out of a home (speaking from experience).

Finally, how does your organisation choose "fence-checkers"? Do they need to be experienced within your organisation? I have seen posts on here for "fence check in (insert area)" and was under the impression it was open to anyone who would reply. Now, I assume this is only open to certain people. (I guess this is where my feelings stemmed from.)

I still think going through a rescue is the best way to find a great dog with loads of information. And, even better, if they are on-board for the life of the pet for questions and updates.

My only prior experience with "rescue" was ladies who loved dogs and couldn't bear the thought of any being put to sleep. They usually had too many dogs and all were uncontrolled and cossetted. Their homes were absolute tips and inside smelt horribly of dog (my home smells of dog but never that bad). Even heading towards dog-hoarding.

:laugh: I am sure that those rescuers still exist but for the most part, most foster carers I know tend to have only 1-2 dogs in addition to their own resident dogs. Partly in deference to local dog ownership laws but also because other halves can get a bit cranky if you have too many foster dogs :laugh:

Finally, how does your organisation choose "fence-checkers"? Do they need to be experienced within your organisation? I have seen posts on here for "fence check in (insert area)" and was under the impression it was open to anyone who would reply. Now, I assume this is only open to certain people. (I guess this is where my feelings stemmed from.)

Our group is lucky enough that we have carers and volunteers in most states and territories in Australia. In remoter areas, we might rely on the friend/family member of a foster carer. The yard checker is given the criteria by which to assess the yard and we don't demand access to the house or anything like that. The yard checks you see being requested on here are generally for groups who may not have coverage in certain areas where applicants live and I'm assuming that the people who reply are with other rescue groups and are known to each other.

For the most part a yard check is common sense about the safety of a dog but sometimes it's only a fresh pair of unbiased eyes that can see a yard for its potential hazards and problems. I've never failed anyone but I have seen yard checks failed because of rusty abandoned cars with jagged edges, rubbish that has sharp edges, overly low fences where the owner can't boost them higher.

I still think going through a rescue is the best way to find a great dog with loads of information. And, even better, if they are on-board for the life of the pet for questions and updates.

I think so. As with all things, there are good rescues and bad rescues, good carers and bad carers so it's about finding the right fit for you. I sometimes receive applications for doggies before they are ready to adopt and I tell the applicants that and the genuine ones are always willing to wait until I feel as though the dog is ready and they follow the dog's progress religiously on the blog. In one instance, the dog had a sleepover at their place one weekend and then came back to us for further training - this was in addition to the two week trial.

I've been lucky with my dogs but I have seen how heartbreaking it is for a carer to find out that a former foster dog has ended up at the pound even though we have a clause in our adoption contracts that gives the rescue a right to be offered the dog first if the adopters don't want it anymore. I am always afraid that people will be deterred by the fact that after the trial they will not get a refund if they return a dog so I always personally guarantee to refund the adoption fee if they will give the dog back to me. So far no one has taken me up on it but the offer is there.

And those crazy ladies are usually the first to dip into their pockets and donate to rescue groups. A rescue group was collecting outside our local shopping centre today. Guess who were the ones stopping and donating - yes older ladies. Young people, families with kids....nope.

And those crazy ladies are usually the first to dip into their pockets and donate to rescue groups. A rescue group was collecting outside our local shopping centre today. Guess who were the ones stopping and donating - yes older ladies. Young people, families with kids....nope.

Exactly :thumbsup: . Those sorts of blanket statements such as made by HugL really make my blood boil.

Exactly :thumbsup: . Those sorts of blanket statements such as made by HugL really make my blood boil.

DD - I've been a crazy dog lady for so long it actually didn't occur to me that it was something to be offended about being called :rofl: Given the number of dogs we frequently have running around the house (temp care/foster care etc), the line between foster carer and animal hoarder is pretty fine... :)

DD - I've been a crazy dog lady for so long it actually didn't occur to me that it was something to be offended about being called :rofl: Given the number of dogs we frequently have running around the house (temp care/foster care etc), the line between foster carer and animal hoarder is pretty fine... :)

Oh, for sure, Koala. It was the way and context that HugL said it as though all of us who have multiple dogs are dirty and have lost the plot.

Quote: "My only prior experience with "rescue" was ladies who loved dogs and couldn't bear the thought of any being put to sleep. They usually had too many dogs and all were uncontrolled and cossetted. Their homes were absolute tips and inside smelt horribly of dog (my home smells of dog but never that bad). Even heading towards dog-hoarding."

I'd like to know how many of these rescue ladies HugL has come across.

After recently adopting a young adolescent male from the pound, I would never recommend for the inexperienced or feint hearted.

I've owned several poundies & rescues that have all come with their challenges. With Leroy though, challenge is a whole new experience. :eek:

Maybe I'm just getting old with less patience & tolerance. I'd been spoiled with the precious ones we lost recently. I suppose after 6 years, probably had forgotten the worst.

Adopting from a reputable group is the best way to go. However, this has it's drawbacks and I can understand why folk look in pounds.

If I knew of anyone looking to adopt a poundie, I would be telling them to take along an experienced dog person that would be objective help choose a dog with the right energy for them and avoid sentiment.

Yes, walk a mile in their shoes why don't you? Judging by what people say to me about rescuing just 1 dog, there would have to be very few people that could do it. Not many people want to put their hand in their pockets AT ALL. We do live in a me and mine first society.

Yes, I'm a dog lady - not a hoarder. Just someone with compassion for that elderly dog whose owner just died - family don't want them, no they can't afford to pay for the dog's desexing, vaccination, mouthful of rotten teeth, xrays of their heart, Cushings tests/medication and so on BUT they don't want them to die - they are very loved - of course they are!

I am very sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. They were only to show where I was coming from with my questions and comments.

I have been named The Dog Lady by kids at my daughters' last school so the crazy dog lady title to me is not detrimental. I was merely showing my personal experience with people who WERE doing rescue many, many years ago. I have realised things change but was surprised by exactly how far that change has gone.

Again, I am very sorry

I am very sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. They were only to show where I was coming from with my questions and comments.

I have been named The Dog Lady by kids at my daughters' last school so the crazy dog lady title to me is not detrimental. I was merely showing my personal experience with people who WERE doing rescue many, many years ago. I have realised things change but was surprised by exactly how far that change has gone.

Again, I am very sorry

:) It takes a big heart to apologise, HugL. Actually, I could back track a bit too, because your post did start me thinking and remembering that some years ago, I did come across a few rescue "older ladies" (BTW, I'm ancient :D ) who were on the verge and their houses were pretty questionable. :eek::eek: