Stud Temperament

Leema

How do/can you assess the temperament of a potential stud dog that is not owned by you?

Meet him at shows or ask to visit the stud ?

Interstate I'm not sure unless you have a friend in that state, request a video of him interacting with different animals and people

If of course the stud owner is abiding.

Tough one. I tend to observe, then interact.

Depends on what temperament traits you need - if I was breeding a working dog (doing an actual working job) I would expect the dog to do the job be this in a formalised "test" (herding for example) or in actual real life (working farm dog for example). When breeding for the show ring when most are going to be pets then it becomes a bit harder and I prefer to meet the dog and interact even if only briefly. Fortunately with Staffords it's pretty easy to pick the untypical ones, other breeds which are more aloof would probably be harder.

Listen to what others say and if ten people all mention the same thing then that spec of information is probably the truth & ignore anything else that is said :laugh:

Stud dog number 1 - Luckily it was a local dog. I spent hours with him, watched him at field trials, his owner let me take him to shows. The dog even sleep over at my house and we I took him to a Royal with rides/people/horses galore.

Stud dog number 2 - Met briefly when overseas at a National. Have talked with owner at length and I think to a degree performance titles speak for themselves.

Also if you get a chance see if you can see some pups from the dog from previous litters. Even speak to the bitch owners who have used him and how they found him and how they have found the pups. Some breeders are really forthcoming and open about their dogs, others say everything good about theirs but nothing good about others..... but you can work it out.

I prefer to always meet the dog and if possible spend some time observing them - when I was overseas I took the chance to meet some of the kennels to see some of the ones behind some of the lines which was a great resource, also means you get a feel for the breeder. Found one dog I would loooove to use but feel that the costs to import semen is just to prohibitive.