"permissable" In The Breed Standard

sandgrubber

Standards often say something is "permissable". Should this be interpreted to mean it should not be penalized in conformation evaluation?

I am thinking specifically of the "Small white spot on chest permissible." in the Labrador Retriever standard. I like white spots . . . they remind me of the St. John's dog, from which the breed was derived. I know of showies who dye the white spot but to avoid getting penalized in the ring. That seems wrong to me.

I always thought it meant allowed, but not desired. So if there were two identical dogs, but one had the "permissable" something, then the other would beat it.

Then again now that I think of it, I think my above explanation would also apply to the word "tolerable" or "tolerated" so I don't know how to differentiate between the two.

Look forward to the discussion!

To me, tolerated is slightly less accepted than permissible.

To me, both relate more to a breeding point of view - a dog with a permissible trait I probably wouldn't match with a bitch who had the same trait, but I might if that meant I would be cementing some other really excellent traits that I was seeking.

A dog who had a tolerable trait, I would never, ever under any circumstances match with a bitch who had the same. I would avoid using that dog unless there were really exigent reasons and then I would take a lot of care to ensure that I couldn't find that tolerable trait in the bitch's ancestors.

My take:

Permissible is "ok if it is there but would prefer it only if everything else is spot on"

Tolerated is "yeah ok, if you REALLY must have it and there is absolutely no other option" :laugh: