Fasting Before A Blood Test (canine)

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

My Pug is having a blood test at the vet's tomorrow and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to fast him or not (the surgery is closed on Sundays). I don't remember the receptionist mentioning it when I booked the appointment.

I was hoping some vet nurses might know :D

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

He has mast cell tumours and it's part of his six-monthly check up. I'm not exactly sure what it's for though.

He's also having a urine test, faecal worm test, lymph node test, dental exam and an ultrasound.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

It wouldn't matter unless they were testing for blood sugar levels I wouldn't think. Many years ago, as part of a university trial, Monte had to fast before a blood test but they were checking several things including cholesterol.

That is the only time I have ever had to make one fast prior.

Edited by ~Anne~

Guest Maeby Fünke

For most things not fasted is fine but lipaemia (fat in the blood) can interfere with some measurements. If it's in the morning then dinner and no breaky is fine.

Okay, thank you. Wow, advice from a real vet :thumbsup:

I've been in the back yard with him for over half an hour, trying to get some wee. He took 15 minutes to stop jumping up on me and another 15 minutes to decide where to wee. Then whenever I put the cup under him he stopped weeing. I only got about a tablespoonful. Do you think that's enough?

Now I've got to try and get some poo from him.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I only got about a tablespoonful. Do you think that's enough?

It should be enough to start with :laugh: We can get a basic urinalysis done with 1ml but more is ideal. Always have to be careful saying that, some people dutifully wait until their dog fills an entire jam jar :rofl:

When my old girl had a urine sample tested recently I was told the best sample to get is the first one of the day when they have been inside or not let out overnight. Especially if they are testing things like specific gravity.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Thanks, ness :)

This was his first wee for the day but because he'd wee'd inside during the night I didn't get very much.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

I got some more wee, but only another tablespoonful because he p*ssed on my hand. And I got some poo, and I saw the Southern Cross in the sky, so it wasn't a completely uneventful exercise.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

..collecting samples from dogs is why God invented long handled serving spoons and soup ladles ;)

Hope all goes well tomorrow .

Oh, what a good idea!

Good one Pers :thumbsup:

My awesomest new collecting receptacle is the drip tray from the low fat cooking grill thingie (like a George Foreman) :laugh: It is long, narrow and fits nicely in between the back legs for a collection, very unobtrusive and catches really well. I love it.

We have bought 3 of these grills over the years as the surface eventually wears out, so we keep the drip trays especially for urine collection. :D