Would You Give An Adopted Dog Back?

Staffyluv

Return or not  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give an adopted dog back to the original owner after you adopted it?

Had checked that site a few years ago and comes up with the AAR registration for Scout :D

ETA when you posted it the other day I rechecked and still comes up in their window

Take it this is what you mean by registered...

post-10065-0-06148700-1383736622_thumb.jpg

Yep, it's registered! :D

Now, if a scanner can find it on Scout, and the number is readable, everything will be absolutely perfect! :)

ETA

Oh, and your contact info is up-to-date. :provoke:

Yes the info is all up to date and new mobile phone number added [did that when I got the phone] :)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still don't know what to do about the problem with the collar...

A quick release collar could come loose and there goes your ID tags. And a standard collar could get caught on something and strangle them. I have ordered both types because I'm not sure which is the best option.

Write your number on the dog in permanent marker? The joy of light coloured coats!

just kidding, obviously :laugh:

Edited by BlackJaq

A quick release collar could come loose and there goes your ID tags. And a standard collar could get caught on something and strangle them. I have ordered both types because I'm not sure which is the best option.

Write your number on the dog in permanent marker? The joy of light coloured coats!

Well maybe or maybe not..................

I know of someone with a Sphynx who wrote **No Ketamine** on her Sphynx in permanent marker when he had to go to the vets for a GA to make sure no-one got it wrong or forgot :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

I know of someone with a Sphynx who wrote **No Ketamine** on her Sphynx in permanent marker when he had to go to the vets for a GA to make sure no-one got it wrong or forgot :)

I was thinking maybe he should wear a t-shirt 24/7 :laugh:

Can kind of see where ear tattooing could come in handy with a personalised number and letter code [letter code could represent state/breed]. Do they still do that with GSD's or is that now old technology??!!

Edited by Noishe

If I should ever become a breeder I will use a simple tat and will pay for google to put my result at the top so that all my pups can be easily traced back to me. Might put it on the inside of the thigh so loosing an ear will not mean the tat is gone... This way the dog can be identified as coming from my kennel regardless of collar or chip and I will be able to be notified if anybody somehow ends up in the pound or otherwise in trouble.

I wish the second contact on chips could be the breeders' details and this could never be changed so that breeders could easily be tracked this way, but I guess that would make too much sense :p

The thing is you have no say on who is or is not a contact on a puppy's chip once they are in the owners hands.

I think that there should be place of origin ie the breeder on the chip, then two contacts. Not much point having a breeder on there from anotehr state if the dog has gotten out, been picked up, has an owner frantically searching and becasue they can't be contacted plans are being made to send said dog abck to another state. Much more sense to have my SIL who lives just down the road. However I think the breeder should remain an unchangable piece of information that is attached to the chip.

I once coloured in the top of Monte's head, in blue permanent marker pen, to make sure my pet sitters wouldn't mix up my three fawn pugs and medicate the wrong one. :laugh:

The thing is you have no say on who is or is not a contact on a puppy's chip once they are in the owners hands.

I think that there should be place of origin ie the breeder on the chip, then two contacts. Not much point having a breeder on there from anotehr state if the dog has gotten out, been picked up, has an owner frantically searching and becasue they can't be contacted plans are being made to send said dog abck to another state. Much more sense to have my SIL who lives just down the road. However I think the breeder should remain an unchangable piece of information that is attached to the chip.

Yes, that's pretty much what I would like. But since you can't permanently have your name on the chip unless the owner leaves it there, thigh tat with something easy to read so that anybody who finds the dog can google it will be the way to go for me..... If owners are contacted through the chip then that's great but if for some reason the dog ends up in trouble then I can be contacted, regardless of up to date chip details or whatever.

I would be devastated if one of my pups ended up in the pound and had nowhere to go... If it was in my power I would always take the dog back.

IT also relies on someone who has a clue about tattoo's. Many years ago a ranger called me and said I have a Dobe here that has not been claimed we are looking to rehome etc etc (I had Dobes). I asked them to check her ear for a tattoo. She did have one, so I got them numebr, contacted the WA DObe Club and found her breeder. Unfortunately the breeder did not want her back and was extremely unhelpful and we rehomed her to a lovely home.

The point being unless everyone tattoo'd, many or most people would not think to look for a tattoo and if they did they would likely have no idea where to start looking for the info they required.

I voted yes, but it would be conditional in my personally ascertaining that the dog would be happiest in her former home, which, given equal levels of love and care, would be most likely.

In the past, the RSPCA would have reclaimed the dog, refunded the new owner and returned the dog to the former owner (unless there was any sign of neglect.) Obviously the current policy is to give priority to the wishes of the adopters. I'm not convinced that such a black and white view is in the best interests of the dog in every case, and believe that it should be on a case by case basis.

I have rehomed several dogs that were surrendered with unregistered chips. In two cases, the chip numbers were fairly unusual which probably indicated that they had not been implanted by a vet, but by someone who had purchased overseas chips. The other number was normal. In all cases I registered the chips via my vet clinic.

I would like to see ALL registries cooperating with PetSearch or a similar database, which would allow the registry to be identified without putting organisations and companies out of business. Let the public decide which ones thrive. biggrin.gif I would also like to see breeder details permanently kept on the chip.

Actually, this story immediately reminded me of a case on Judge Judy (:o), but I only just looked for it.

That's what I want to see here:

The dog deciding if he wants to stay with the new owner or go back to his old people.

It could have gone the other way, and that's the point, but watch what happens after 8 months.

http://www.thepetcollective.tv/touching-moment-when-dog-is-reunited-with-owner-on-judge-judy/

It would depend on the story.

Our working BC isn't chipped. - it isn't compulsory here yet - as he is owned by my husband. He does not want a foreign object in his dog, it is something he feels quite strongly about and while it is not compulsory he won't be done.

All mine are done.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but wanted to address this - as of 1 November it is compulsory for all dogs to be microchipped in WA. Came in with the new cat laws and hasn't been given much attention because of this.

That's very sweet and definitely a good ending, but I was a bit shocked he seemed to basically ignore his little dog while it was jumping up and down on his leg. What the! I think I would have been rolling on the floor hugging it and crying or at least picking it up for a cuddle!

You could see he was happy but hard to tell if it was over winning or getting his dog back :eek:

That's very sweet and definitely a good ending, but I was a bit shocked he seemed to basically ignore his little dog while it was jumping up and down on his leg. What the! I think I would have been rolling on the floor hugging it and crying or at least picking it up for a cuddle!

You could see he was happy but hard to tell if it was over winning or getting his dog back :eek:

Intimidated by Judge Judy, perhaps? I would be. :laugh:

The guy's tears speak volumes, though. And they happened before he was told about the vet bills. :)

It would depend on the story.

Our working BC isn't chipped. - it isn't compulsory here yet - as he is owned by my husband. He does not want a foreign object in his dog, it is something he feels quite strongly about and while it is not compulsory he won't be done.

All mine are done.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but wanted to address this - as of 1 November it is compulsory for all dogs to be microchipped in WA. Came in with the new cat laws and hasn't been given much attention because of this.

Oh really I have seen nothing of that mentioned anywhere?????

I think he was perhaps trying to ignore it to show he wasnt encouraging the dog to jump all over him. He also hadn't been directed by judge Judy to do anything... Would you go against her! :eek: :laugh:

It was obvious the dog recognised him when the other woman was walking in with it. It was just about jumping out of her arms to get to him.

Guest Maeby Fünke

It was very sweet when the dog ran up to him. Judge Judy is a very smart lady.

If anyone tried to keep my Pug they would soon be desperately trying to return him. He would be screeching his head off without me. We're like two peas in a pod.