Sex Of Second Dog

Esky the husky

Ah i guess im just worried about the 'icky' bits of boy ownership. I've got a lot of indoor plants that I don't want to become toilets ( i know i know training)

And the slowness of males growing a brain :p and being bigger..

In the end I want the right match for us though

My 20 month old (desexed) boy has a brain when it suits him, but he's still very puppyish as opposed to my girl who is 6 months older and had hardly any 'puppy' left at around 9 months!

He also never marks in the house but loves every tree, pole, leaf, pram (a favourite!) or blade of grass when out. The only other icky boy thing is keeping his boy bits clean, but most dogs probably do that themselves and I just wipe him with a damp tissue every now and then.

He's much cuddlier than my girl, and I know a lot of people with boys say they twmd to be cuddlier.

Yep, my boy is a big boofer cuddle monster :laugh: he loves nothing more than just having any kind of contact with you, whether he be sitting on your foot, your lap, or just sitting touching you, he's happy :)

He also never marks in the house but loves every tree, pole, leaf, pram (a favourite!) or blade of grass when out. The only other icky boy thing is keeping his boy bits clean, but most dogs probably do that themselves and I just wipe him with a damp tissue every now and then.

He's much cuddlier than my girl, and I know a lot of people with boys say they twmd to be cuddlier.

Same here BUT my boy is a bully and cannot 'reach' his boy bits. Bullys are not very bendable :laugh:

We have three male dogs in this house all desexed with no issue. If i had a female dog, I'd probably be going with a male though for a second dog. It can also be very breed specific and also specific to the individual dogs. A lot of people seem to have same gendered working dogs together without any problems.

Same here BUT my boy is a bully and cannot 'reach' his boy bits. Bullys are not very bendable :laugh:

Mine's a pug - same issue :laugh:

I've always gone opposite sex when getting a second dog and not had any coat ability problems. However my current bc boy, though much improved, can be very jealous of some dogs playing with his female friends at dog school so I am wondering if I would be better off with another boy in this case?

make that compatability problems!

Edited by bamboo

that's an interesting point about girls growing a brain quicker than boys ... I have definitely noticed that with my two but i thought it was just their individual personalities rather than a sex thing. He is definitely the cuddlier of the 2.

Hunter is nearly 1 now and has never marked in the house ... he does mark at every possible tree, post etc ect and also have to keep a very keen eye on him if I take him into cityfarmers or somewhere as he will mark inside places like that where other dogs have been.

If 2 dogs are fighting its the 2 dogs temperaments clashing not their sex, if they are desexed.

Once the desexing is done each of the dogs has no hormonal smell that tells the other dog its sex & causes a sex related action so get whatever sex you like.

Same sex fighting is just coincidental to the 2 particular dogs.

Entire is a completely different matter.

When we were looking at getting another dog we were looking at both boys and girls but with a preference for girls.

Our boy Collie has never met a dog that he's had a problem with but after hearing that a boy/girl combo would most likely get along better we went down that route.

I'm glad we did, our dogs are very attached to one another, they even groom each other in the evenings occasionally which is soooo cute :)

Plus it maintains a gender balance in the house :laugh:

As far as getting a third dog goes, you could always get the opposite sex of the more dominant of the two to try and keep things in balance

Edited by Leah82