Puppy Necessities

h878

I had dogs the entire time growing up (BC's, Poodles and an Australian Terrier) but I've never had one as an adult. I just had all the fun times with the dogs ;) We've been waiting for a long time for the time to be just right!

I have a 12 week old puppy so I can tell you what we use :laugh:

We have had THREE (yes, three) crates set up for him. He will steal and eat anything that's not nailed down so we have a crate attached to a pen in the living room, large crate in the lounge room so he can be with us while eating dinner etc, and one in the bedroom which he slept in but has already grown out of so is now sleeping in the one in the lounge.

I didn't need all the crates with my other dog but this one is a livewire and needs time outs A LOT :p

A collar, harness and leash. Harness we found useful in the first few weeks while getting used to a collar and lead and doing the bucking bronco thing.

As many polar fleece blankets as you can get your hands on. Puppies tend to eat beds (well mine do) and make a mess so these are great to chuck in the wash and dry easily.

Long lasting chewy things for when they need distracting. I use deer antlers and small rawhide chews.

Earplugs for the first few nights :rofl:

lol wonderful. I haven't done the sleepless nights things for quite awhile but luckily I am a serious hoarder of all baby things so I guess all those old blankets I have stashed away will come in handy :laugh:

Thanks for the shampoo recommendation Tassie :)

Our pup loves a teddy.

He was used to cuddling up to littermates to sleep.

Breeder also gave us a washable mattress with Mum/ littermates smell on it.

Newspaper (our pup was trained to toilet on paper)- also for crate.

Cheaper collar that FITS- you don't want him getting it caught in a too-big collar and hanging himself.

Light leash (again, cheaper in case chewed).

Kong puppy/ chew toy(s).

Treats for training (healthy, take into account for his total food intake0

Kmart have $3 squeaky, fleece soft toys our puppy likes.

I want to get him a hand-stamped name tag but have no idea where to even look so I may just have to get one engraved for now.

Look at Boomerang Tags - www.boomerangtags.com they are brilliant imo but you may want to wait until your pup is in its "permanent" collar (ie sizewise)

• 3 weeks later...