Help Suggestions Please

animals

We own an ex pound dog abuse case age unknown she is grey in the muzzel and we"ve had her for a few years.She has always been dog social but people wary .She plays with our little dogs but they sleep inside she sleeps outside on the back deck.

Very horse like long legs loves to run yet will roll over and play gently with small dogs BUT since she lost her best friend she is alpha dog and to be blunt has become rather bitchie .

She loves to play with dogs her own size when we are out but due to her fear of people she is always on the lookout ...And being a tall long legged dog when she runs all goofy like people take her the wrong way ...

I don"t want her to be the top dog of the house (even though We are ) I don"t want to own another big dog since losing my dog Im still hurting would you suggest maybe fostering large adult dogs or taking her to get professional help?

This started slowly a few weeks ago but we noticed and want to nip it in the butt before she goes too far .......

We used to foster adult large dogs a few years back but at that stage having owned 2 dogs 40kgs plus we thought it best not to over do it

trying to exert authority be bigger stronger and more like a bully ? Im not sure how to explain it in dog terms just that she has changed she isn"t aggressive but could be if she wanted too I don"t want to give you the wrong idea and portray her as a monster but Its like now after all these years she has gotten a big dose of self confidence and understands that she is a big girl and doesn"t need to be a push over ---

She hasn"t killed anything has no issues with cats the ducks or the rabbits but I guess its a personal thing because we know her so well we noticed the changes ..even though they just seem to be a personality thing

I thought maybe she just needed someone to be there with her that was matched to her like how it was before because of her size when she plays with the other dogs a slight bump could hurt them and when she"s all happy and boucey they get uppity and snap at her then they don"t want to play anymore is it possible she is craving a play mate more suitable to her ?

No I wouldn't consider fostering under those conditions. That is not the ideal foster environment, with a dog that is already confused about its position.. Bringing another dog in (temporarily) could confuse the issue even more.

You need to treat her as you always have.

She obviously feels she needs to step up now the other dog is gone for whatever reason - you need to show her she doesn't.

I would be thinking about bringing in a behaviourist if you can't handle it yourself, to give you some pointers on how to deal with this change in attitude and position.

Hmm I don't think I have much experience with his to give advice. I do wonder though whether she's feeling quite lonely now that her best mate is gone? Did he stay outside at night with her? Is it possible she could sleep in a Crate inside now?

But yeah, might be time for a behaviourist to see what's really going on.

I don"t want her to be the top dog of the house (even though We are )

Pack order changes when one dog leaves & is gone.

The remaining dogs decide the pack order & one of them has to be top dog. Normal thing.

She may be more confident now but as long as she isn't doing damage why is it a bad thing if she is pack leader ?

You decide that people are top of the pack & intervene if or when things get too aggro between them & nip it in the bud before it escalates. The dogs will sort the rest of it out but a little bit of squabbling is to be expected due to the changes.

animals

May sound a bit "out there" but she could well be grieving. We lost 2 of our old dogs in quick succession and our 2yo was lost & totally depressed. Our vet said they feel loss like us and can mourn for up to 6 weeks. We had to medicate our girl. Just give her some time to adjust.

LF

She's probably lonely and lost - any reason why she can't be inside with everyone else?

I'm the first to tell you that I don't agree with keeping dogs outside but especially not when they are on their own and other dogs get to be inside. Just not fair - and they do understand.

I also agree that when one dies, there can be some minor skirmishes and squabbles until the pack settles down again but that doesn't sound like this is what your issue is, I'm not really sure what it is ...

Edited by dogmad

You can still be 'top dog' but there'll be a rank and she may be below you but above them. Dogs need to know and make their place as long as she's not being aggressive then just keep being consistent with her. Her being separate from the pack may be exacerbating this behaviour as she can't communicate all the time so tries to get it all done when she is with them. She sounds confused and lonely, looking for a place. Any way you could include her more in the rest of your pack? is there a reason she is separate? You'll find she may settle if she is allowed more access to the rest of the dogs and won't be so anxious when she is with them.