Puppy Gold

Yonjuro

I saw there was a bit of a discussion on another thread about this product so thought I would start a separate thread.

I have a few questions about Puppy gold if I may. I will be getting a Husky puppy in around 5 weeks

How does one feed Puppy gold to an 8 week old? Is it sprinkled on kibble or what do you do if feeding PMRD?

Do you adjust the food quantity to account for the extra calories?

Is there any concern with accelerated grown and strong joint formation with a supplement such as this?

Many thanks

Hi Yonjuro

I mix it into raw meat/mince. There is a feeding guide on the tub that will tell you how much to feed.

I haven't personally had any problems with dogs not eating it, but I do mix it into raw meat.

As our bitch is in whelp at the moment we mix a scoop with water and raw eggs together for her in the morning, she loves it and laps it up. It doesn't look particularly delightful :laugh: but it's really good for her and she really enjoys it!

We have raised three dogs on PG at work, with great results. It won't accelerate growth, it just gives them essential nutrients.

To be honest I don't really get the hype about these sorts of products - possibly helpful for a lactating bitch or one in the final stages of pregnancy IF they can't keep weight on but it seems like overkill for the average, weaned pup. The first 3 ingredients are cows milk protein, beef fat and hydrolysed corn based starch (a high GI carbohydrate). All the listed amino acids are what make up protein anyway and colostrum is useless except as an expensive source of protein. Can I ask why people feel that pups need supplementing?

I think it's down to personal choice, some people always feed supplements and feel strongly about it and other people don't do it, you either see the benefit in it or you don't, it really is down to whether you feel the dogs are benefiting from it.

With the other Animal Naturals supplements (Showstopper and Super Fuel and Young at Heart) we have seen visible and very obvious benefits from feeding them, so naturally we feel it is worthwhile.

We feed Puppy Gold (and we will wean our pups onto it) because we feel it helps boost their immune systems and we want to make sure we are doing everything we can to make sure our pregnant bitch is staying healthy and to help her body recover properly.

On a side note a few breeders I've spoken to have split tested their litters on PG and have noticed a considerable difference between the pups weaned onto PG and those that weren't.