Throat Ulcer

ChewieTAG

I would be pretty concerned if this is not better by now. Have you been back to the vet?

not entirely recover or it getting worst I think.. Vet did said that if it got worst to go back to him.

It hasn't gone any redder but the size of the swell seems a little bit bigger than few days ago. I might be wrong because sometimes looking at it daily confused me ..

the vet gave a 2 weeks antibiotic course and ask me to go back for a follow up visit... then plan for the next course of action

"Active Manuka Honey" (AMH) is the name of it. The "UMF" tells you the strength/saturation of the really good qualities (i.e. the "Active" component). You have a good UMF level. I like +25 and upwards. +20 at the Minimum.

Hi Erny smile.gif, when you said give them 2-3 course of Manuka, how much would you give at a time? A tea spoon?

Yeah - a teaspoon at a time. If he is a small dog, and under other circumstances, I might suggest a little less. But initially, a teaspoon until you see the redness and swelling receding, assuming you do.

I don't like the sound of the swelling increasing even though he's on antibiotics. If they are targeting the issue, results should show fairly quickly. Might be wise to keep in touch with your Vet even via telephone. But I know what you mean by being confusing when you look at it so frequently day after day.

Edited by Erny

Yeah - a teaspoon at a time. If he is a small dog, and under other circumstances, I might suggest a little less. But initially, a teaspoon until you see the redness and swelling receding, assuming you do.

I don't like the sound of the swelling increasing even though he's on antibiotics. If they are targeting the issue, results should show fairly quickly. Might be wise to keep in touch with your Vet even via telephone. But I know what you mean by being confusing when you look at it so frequently day after day.

Hi Erny, thanks for the tips. She is small. 7 months still. So I have only give her a tiny dollop but multiple times throughout the day. That might total up to max of 2 teaspoon the most. I am still giving...

Yes I plan to contact the vet to ask about it but he is only available on Tues, Wed and Fri. We've seen him only last Tues. Will update this thread later on.

The swell doesn't seem to swell more, I hope. It's hard to get a good view with her moving around and also, checking it so many times a day, daily can be quite confusing... frown.gif

Hopefully she will be well by end of the week. crossfingers.gif

just thought to update about my pup. smile.gif

I've gone for another visit as I feel the swell is not going down and other areas are swelling too. Not dramatic but in the course of 5-7 days, just a little swell is noticed.

vet did recommend biopsy however I have decided to opt for another option before going through that as last resort. Looking at the way the swell goes, at first it does looks like just ulceration, but the redness has tamed down a wee bit and the swell has come up a little bit more.

So vet thinks it could be "Eosinophilic Granuloma". And only biopsy can confirmed what is happening in there. For me, I got a feeling could be trauma from hunger vomit or induced vomiting 2 weeks ago, as the areas started to have this really inflamed marking before all this swelling.

So now, we are on prednisone and also the initial antibiotics for another 5 days, then follow up visit after. Hopefully by then there is some good result else will probably go for biopsy. crossfingers.gifcrossfingers.gifcrossfingers.gif

Poor girl.

photo ulcer

Edited by chewak

updates:

my girl is getting so much better...thumbsup1.gif She is eating back her kibbles after the second day of prednisone & antibiotic medication. Today will be visiting vet for follow up.

I guess, it's really trauma from inducing vomit and later the bad ulcer.... slowly becoming like Eosinophilic Granuloma... frown.gif

will see how we go with the vet, maybe will be continuing with the meds till she is finally out of the ulcer.

whew!

updates:

we went to vet for follow up yesterday. Vet is quite sure it could be Eosinophilic Granuloma as the ulcer is healing with the prednisolone medication. But after the course of 2 weeks, vet said that the ulcer / EG is not 100% cured which makes him concern about it.

We've discussed about the option of having the biopsy to confirmed if it is in fact Eosinophilic Granuloma or if it's something else. And I feel that under the prednisolone 5 mg medication, I can see the improvement ... although not completely cure yet. So I have asked for another 1 week of the prednisolone medication to see if it will improve further and vet is happy to give it a try.

Vet did said that it is not such good idea for a puppy that is still growing to give prednisolone for long term but he is happy to try another week to see if it does improve further before going for biopsy.

I just wonder if I should just proceed with the biopsy or try for the 1 week first? The reason I've chose the medication for another week is because I can see the improvement and a bit reluctant to put her through the anaesthetic again (she was desexed 3 months ago). Vet recommends the biopsy (after the 2 week's course) because he wants to know what it is in order to better help us with it.

Sometimes it's hard to make decision.

any input is greatly appreciated.

frown.gif

When you say there has been an improvement do you mean it is healing or just that she is eating as pred makes them very hungry and could make her eat regardless of how sore her throat is. I have had a dog with an ulcerated throat and we ended up putting a feeding tube in so he was nil by mouth for 6 weeks and then he was medicated with Carafate slurry to put a lining on the ulcer, losec to reduce stomach acid and codeine for pain. Pred actually inhibits healing as far as I am aware.

Edited by cowanbree

AFAIK.. cortisone doesn't heal ..... but it will make it feel better .

..I still also hope that as whatever the vet poured down her throat to induce vomiting apparently cause this problem

And yes, the vet caught a glimpse of it while struggling with her in few attempts to open her mouth. He thinks the induced vomit episode may have caused the ulcer, medication reaction given to her.
..that you are not paying for treatment!

The vets don't sound fantastically competent ..... :/

..I still also hope that as whatever the vet poured down her throat to induce vomiting apparently cause this problem

And yes, the vet caught a glimpse of it while struggling with her in few attempts to open her mouth. He thinks the induced vomit episode may have caused the ulcer, medication reaction given to her.

The standard treatment for eosinophilic granuloma is steroids such as cortisone. The lesions usually respond but it's possible that they may reoccur at a later date. If it is EG then the cause is not known.

The standard treatment for eosinophilic granuloma is steroids such as cortisone. The lesions usually respond but it's possible that they may reoccur at a later date. If it is EG then the cause is not known.

Thanks for that - I was unclear because of the bit I quoted ..that the induced vomit ..and the medication used caused the problem.

Whatever - I hope it heals well... poor little girl

Personally unless you can actually see the ulcer and know it is getting better I would be getting her scoped so you know exactly what you are dealing with

I'm seeing the ulcer healing.... I checked daily. I can see from her getting two swelling and redness to now left one small swell and very light redness.. So I can conclude her ulcer did goes down after the Pred....aid by cavulox antibiotics too.

Now she is on Pred only. I'm hoping she will get better soon. Just left that one stubborn swell not yet recovered.

Vet didn't charged for consultation fees but just the medications. He did mentioned at first he is unsure if it was the induced vomit episode or it's EG. but after the latest visit he is leaning towards EG because of the symptoms and from the look of it.

To treat the EG or ulcer , cortisone actually does help to stop inflammation and suppress the immune system to coz the body to react further.