Throat Ulcer

ChewieTAG

Hi all,

I noticed my puppy has stop eating the kibbles last week (Tues / Wed) which she normally will scoff it all down. Just right after she vomitted that day after a run at our backyard on the evening and I noticed quite a lot of big chunk of dry grass and some dried leaves, and some sort of paper. She was gagging a bit at night before her dinner and I thought the incident earlier was still tickling her throat. Then, she started behaving that way towards her kibbles. She will take one kibble at a time or don't really want to eat it at all. She still eats her cooked chicken breast or raw beef, and some other dry treat (biscuits). That was last week and continues till today.

I did noticed a change of colour on one side at the back of her throat the next day after the throwing up incident. Usually it is pink. Attached the link to the picture I've taken today >> Throat Ulcer? It is redder today. It actually gradually turn that red since last week. Also I noticed that when she yawns (opened her mouth really wide) I can see further behind her throat on the same side, the area leads further down, looks red too.

I also managed to shoved my finger into the back of her throat to feel it. She didn't seem to be in great pain but I can feel that it seems like a bump. Perhaps it's swollen.

I plan to call the vet for appointment tomorrow. But would like to get some idea if anyone has the same symptoms?

I suspected that she might have hurt herself from throwing up all those rubbish especially the bunch of dried grass.

Wonder if anyone know how or what to do? if any remedy will help? Perhaps the Manuka Honey?

Other than not interested with the kibbles, she is not coughing or gagging any worst, still very active and playful. She eats chicken breast and raw beef happily.

frown.gif

Updated:

visited the vet the next day and given 2 weeks of antibiotics, then revisit for follow up

Edited by chewak

The vet needs to have a look at her. It could be a throat infection, or an irritation from vomiting and the kibble hurts to swallow. Then again she may be just fussy about her kibble :) Hope she feels better after the vet visit.

Actually - a good quality Active Manuka Honey can cure, per se, and is certainly capable of more than just "soothing". But I agree that a Vet check to at least determine cause is warranted as it depends on WHAT the cause of the sore throat is, as to whether something such as AMH would target the problem. For example (and I'm not saying this is what the problem is with the OP's pup), if there is a foreign object lodged/embedded somewhere, AMH is not going to remove it.

When my boy was a pup he contracted Canine Cough. One of the early signs was an obvious discomfort eating kibble which I used to feed him back then. AMH in some warm water worked a treat as an immediate relief, and 3 or 4 doses throughout the day had his somewhat red sore throat back to normal quite quickly.

If the cause is tonsillitis or other infection I would be relying on antibiotics to cure rather than manuka honey.

Hopefully this little dog has seen a vet - it would be good to know. Its a bit frustrating when you never know the outcome :)

Edited by Rosetta

we went to the vet the next day.

Vet took a look, managed to caught a glimpse. Couldn't do much but gave us 2 weeks of antibiotic in hope it will recover. Else will have to perform endoscopy after that.... crossfingers.gif praying she will be well after the antibiotics.

At the moment, she is still not quite interested with the kibbles, but will eat a little bit, one at a time. The ulcer has not (hopefully won't) gone worst, but can't see if it has improved. However, it's just the second day of the antibiotics.

When she did a big yawn, I can actually see her inner throat is also affected all sides but not as red as shown in the photo. The photo was just one part where it's visible and it seems to be lumpy. She did gag once yesterday when she yawn.

Edit:

5 days before I noticed her ulcer, she was given oral medication to induced vomit as she managed to swallow her fluffy wing toy whole. Luckily, she vomit that out. Thank God I saw it on time, it was missing just after a minute of her tearing it off her fluffy toy.

Vet did mentioned it could be due to the reaction towards the medication, and could have been there all along but it got worst 5 days later for her to stop eating the kibbles.

Edited by chewak

Actually - a good quality Active Manuka Honey can cure, per se, and is certainly capable of more than just "soothing". But I agree that a Vet check to at least determine cause is warranted as it depends on WHAT the cause of the sore throat is, as to whether something such as AMH would target the problem. For example (and I'm not saying this is what the problem is with the OP's pup), if there is a foreign object lodged/embedded somewhere, AMH is not going to remove it.

When my boy was a pup he contracted Canine Cough. One of the early signs was an obvious discomfort eating kibble which I used to feed him back then. AMH in some warm water worked a treat as an immediate relief, and 3 or 4 doses throughout the day had his somewhat red sore throat back to normal quite quickly.

Hi Erny, thanks for the tips. I just realised there is a difference between AMH and UMF.

Will UMF helps? As I have the UMF +25 instead.

At the moment, she is still not quite interested with the kibbles, but will eat a little bit, one at a time.

Just wondering why you would persist in giving her dry hard food when it must hurt her throat? Cant you give her a soft diet? Mush some cooked vegs with beef/chicken mince and egg, add a little olive oil to help it slide down.

Just wondering why you would persist in giving her dry hard food when it must hurt her throat? Cant you give her a soft diet? Mush some cooked vegs with beef/chicken mince and egg, add a little olive oil to help it slide down.

oh I didn't explain clearly ... my bad.

Yes I am giving her soft food and also do soften up her kibbles. But was testing her the dry kibbles to see if she is interested at it.. More so to know if she ok to swallow.

Vet took a look, managed to caught a glimpse. Couldn't do much but gave us 2 weeks of antibiotic in hope it will recover

I hope that I have mis understood ... but that doesn't sound terribly thorough , or efficient :( "caught a glimpse????"

Ok.. 5 days before the sore throat .. you made her vomit?

This is often a very dangerous practice for anything other than poisons/liquids, because of the damage solid objects can cause to the throat as they are violently expelled out !

Did the vet do this, or was it done at home?

She did gag once yesterday when she yawn.

poor little dog, being so very sore for so long . I do hope the antibiotics help . Please do use the manuka honey ..and a good diet of nice soft fresh healthy food to help.

also ..please do not give her any dry food for a week or so - let her body heal .. :)

@persephone :

Oh about the induced vomit, it's the vet that did it. She gave her an oral med to induced vomit. (Different vet in same clinic) It was a furry toy she swallowed.

And yes, the vet caught a glimpse of it while struggling with her in few attempts to open her mouth. He thinks the induced vomit episode may have caused the ulcer, medication reaction given to her.

If after the antibiotics, it's not improving he will perform the endorscope procedure. It was cavulox antibiotics for 2 weeks.

Yes I will give the cheeky little girl soft food for now.

Edited by chewak

Ok.... :( seems a messy business .... Hope she feels better soon.

Now I am wondering what the vet used to induce vomiting? Was it a liquid tipped down the throat, or a solid, poked down ..or tablets ?

He mentioned a name but I didn't catch it. He said could be the chemical reaction. I would guess its liquid?

Initially the vet lady said it would be an eye drop but I think she might have struggled so resulted in oral.

:( It;s even sadder then, that something the vet did has caused this problem ..and you had no prior warning ? They didn't say " yes, we can do this ..but so & so might occur afterward? '

if she were my little dog, I'd be making her doggie iceblocks, too ...the cool will both feel nice, and help with inflammation ;)

As she is small.. use the butter/margarine containers.

Make some chicken /beef stock NO SALT. Boil up carrots/celery /parsley/chicken carcasses /wings ..or some beef/lamb bones. Boil for quite some time . Let cool ... remove every bone . mash up any vege bits ....

3/4 fill the containers with liquid /veges .. and drop in a few soft doggy treats ..or a few bits of dry ( they will absorb some of the water and go soft . Freeze overnight ,at least .

To serve.. tip out of container if you want ,,, and just put out on the lawn...or in an enclosed area in a large shallow pan..like a roasting pan :) It should keep her happy for some time .. give her lots of fluid ..and be cool on her sore throat ;)

Edited by persephone

:( It;s even sadder then, that something the vet did has caused this problem ..and you had no prior warning ? They didn't say " yes, we can do this ..but so & so might occur afterward? '

if she were my little dog, I'd be making her doggie iceblocks, too ...the cool will both feel nice, and help with inflammation ;)

As she is small.. use the butter/margarine containers.

Make some chicken /beef stock NO SALT. Boil up carrots/celery /parsley/chicken carcasses /wings ..or some beef/lamb bones. Boil for quite some time . Let cool ... remove every bone . mash up any vege bits ....

3/4 fill the containers with liquid /veges .. and drop in a few soft doggy treats ..or a few bits of dry ( they will absorb some of the water and go soft . Freeze overnight ,at least .

To serve.. tip out of container if you want ,,, and just put out on the lawn...or in an enclosed area in a large shallow pan..like a roasting pan :) It should keep her happy for some time .. give her lots of fluid ..and be cool on her sore throat ;)

Thanks so much for the food tips!

No they did not tell me about using the oral med. if I've known I would have assist them so they can use the eye drop instead. She will let me as I know how.

I've been quite frustrated just thinking about it after the visit to vet for the ulcer. In fact I was correcting him that the other vet used the eye drop and he told me in their system they used the oral. Also went to check with the other vet just to confirmed. So that caught me as surprised as that vet didn't tell me about the change of course.

Hopefully my little girl will get better. Although not as red but it somehow looks a bit more swollen the it was.

What should I do if it has pus? Back to the vet?

Hi Erny, thanks for the tips. I just realised there is a difference between AMH and UMF.

Will UMF helps? As I have the UMF +25 instead.

"Active Manuka Honey" (AMH) is the name of it. The "UMF" tells you the strength/saturation of the really good qualities (i.e. the "Active" component). You have a good UMF level. I like +25 and upwards. +20 at the Minimum.

"Active Manuka Honey" (AMH) is the name of it. The "UMF" tells you the strength/saturation of the really good qualities (i.e. the "Active" component). You have a good UMF level. I like +25 and upwards. +20 at the Minimum.

Hi Erny smile.gif, when you said give them 2-3 course of Manuka, how much would you give at a time? A tea spoon?

Edited by chewak