Mast Cell Tumour?

teekay

Guest Maeby Fünke

Hope your pugs are ok Anne and Maeby. Bloody lumps and bumps, I hate them :(

Vet just called and she did a couple of FNAs and is only seeing inflammatory cells so she is fairly confident her diagnosis of an infection is correct. She did say she cannt be absolutely certain without a biopsy what it is, but she did say she could rule out an MCT. :thumbsup:

She did give me the option of doing a biopsy while Jenna is still sedated which would cost about $700 :eek: Given she is confident it is not an MCT I decided to give the antibiotics longer to do their job and if we are not seeing an improvement in a couple of weeks we will biopsy it then.

Feeling a lot happier and looking forward to picking her up later. :)

Thanks all of you

Yay, that's awesome! :)

I wonder if your vet would consider doing an excisional biopsy (removal of the whole lump) under a local anaesthetic? My vet has removed a few of my Pug's lumps that way. It's a lot cheaper and you don't have the hassle of a general anaesthetic.

eta

I mean, if the lump doesn't go away by itself.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Vet just called and she did a couple of FNAs and is only seeing inflammatory cells so she is fairly confident her diagnosis of an infection is correct. She did say she cannt be absolutely certain without a biopsy what it is, but she did say she could rule out an MCT. :thumbsup:

She did give me the option of doing a biopsy while Jenna is still sedated which would cost about $700 :eek: Given she is confident it is not an MCT I decided to give the antibiotics longer to do their job and if we are not seeing an improvement in a couple of weeks we will biopsy it then.

Thanks all of you

I wonder if your vet would consider doing an excisional biopsy (removal of the whole lump) under a local anaesthetic? My vet has removed a few of my Pug's lumps that way. It's a lot cheaper and you don't have the hassle of a general anaesthetic.

eta

Thanks Maeby,

Jenna is pretty nervous at the vets and because the lump is on her muzzle she really doesn't like people touching it, hence the need for sedation for the fine needle aspirate.

I'm afraid if it does end up having to be removed it'll have to be a full anaesthetic. We do have insurance so it should all be covered if it is necessary.

My poor baby has been a bit sleepy today but we have just been for a nice walk with my 9 year old son to look at the Christmas lights and she seemed to enjoy that. :)

Edited by teekay

Guest Maeby Fünke

Thanks all of you

eta

Thanks Maeby,

Jenna is pretty nervous at the vets and because the lump is on her muzzle she really doesn't like people touching it, hence the need for sedation for the fine needle aspirate.

I'm afraid if it does end up having to be removed it'll have to be a full anaesthetic. We do have insurance so it should all be covered if it is necessary.

My poor baby has been a bit sleepy today but we have just been for a nice walk with my 9 year old son to look at the Christmas lights and she seemed to enjoy that. :)

Oh, no worries, I understand. I'm glad she enjoyed her walk. That sounds lovely :)

I think all lumps should be tested. Vets do get it wrong when looking at them. My own dog Frodo was the perfect case with that and his story is on my website. To have proper pathology done can be the difference with your dog. Frodo would have been dead within weeks had I not had the lump tested. We were able to get the correct treatment according to his tumour type and thats why he is still with me now. Its just a horrific disease.

I think all lumps should be tested. Vets do get it wrong when looking at them. My own dog Frodo was the perfect case with that and his story is on my website. To have proper pathology done can be the difference with your dog. Frodo would have been dead within weeks had I not had the lump tested. We were able to get the correct treatment according to his tumour type and thats why he is still with me now. Its just a horrific disease.

Cannot agree more. If the lump was on you, you would have had it tested. Difference is.. Medicare. $700 is a lot of money, it is also provides a resounding good piece of mind of knowing WHAT it is.