The Right Place At The Right Time.

PossumCorner

The photographer's comment reminded me of the reply to the question how do you take a good photograph. "f8 and be there".

Brilliant shot, good heads-up on how easy it can be to lose a little dog, I used to think that was a myth years ago, leaned that it is not unusual.

He must be chuffed, you wouldn't carry a camera on a tractor all day if you weren't hoping for a special shot. Glad the ABC picked it up.

Link deleted. Think most of the regulars here have seen it for the photography interest.

Edited by PossumCorner

It's an amazing capture but look at the poor fox screaming, I suspect it wasn't a quick clean death. :cry:

This thread might be seen more in general or at least the main photos section, rather than tips and tricks although I understand you're saying you have to have a camera with you all the time to capture that brilliant photo.

The photo deserves to be seen though, it's incredible.

I know a woman who lost an Italian greyhound to an eagle.

....might be seen more in general .... deserves to be seen though, it's incredible.

Agreed Kirislin, I was really in two minds about posting though, as you said my main point here was the 'f8 and be there' factor as a basic PJ tip. (I also put the link in the chook people threads as foxes are our main pest eh). But there is the tiny moral dilemma of using pain and suffering as the focal point rather than the simple PJ of a moment in time, it gets murky to analyse. Like the Pulitzer winners book, so many of the shots are not good photography, just a shot of a moment of violence with extraordinary ripple effects from both the moment and the image. Too deep, will go and feed the ponies.

Maybe post a warning about graphic content? I know I could have done without seeing this today. It might be a great photo, but all I can see is a scared animal screaming.

Yes, it is distressing, and my first thought was for the poor fox too. It's still an amazing photo. I've seen eagles here take young ibis chicks from their nest and all the parents and other birds divebombing them in a futile attempt to save the chick. Once the eagle did drop a chick and I went down to where it had fallen in my paddock. It was dead and there was just a small drop on blood on its chest which made me think that its death was quick, but that poor fox, oh dear :cry:

Maybe post a warning about graphic content? I know I could have done without seeing this today. It might be a great photo, but all I can see is a scared animal screaming.

It's life in the animal kingdom. Not always glamourous.

Amazing capture!

I see it as an amazing in the moment capture. Yes indeed the fox has met with a grizzly end, but then again think of all the farm kept animals which has fallen prey to a fox. Food chain in action.

Perhaps for the squeamish it might afford a warning on title.