Finding Rental Properties

Brontedog

Hi all,

My wife and 2 dogs (3 and 2 year old Labradors) are moving to Melbourne in early January and are looking to find a place to rent for at least the next 12 months (preferably Western suburbs of Melbourne). I have been submitting applications for rentals and our application appears strong (both full time professionals, home owners etc), but we are not having much luck, and I think perhaps the dogs may be an issue for landlords. We are not willing to be separated from them, so finding somewhere that allows them is a must.

Does anyone have any advice on how to find a rental property that allows pets in Melbourne, i.e. know real estate agents that may be helpful, application submission advice...

Any counsel or advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Liam

Make a pet resume, with a cute photo if possible, outlining how you look after your pets, how well trained they are, that they are registered, desexed, microchipped etc etc, to show that you are responsible pet owners. Also include references from neighbours, vet, obedience instructors, etc if possible.

This site can help and also has templates you can use : http://www.petfriendlyrentals.com.au/

I've been able to find rentals that allow me to have my dogs and cats with this method, including my first rental with a Rottweiler and no previous rental history! I also include a cover letter. You may have to settle for older houses as well. I started out in a junk of a house but now am able to rent a beautiful house in a good suburb once we've proven that we're good pet owners and our previous landlord / real estate agent could vouch for us.

edit : Also, the main concern landlords have is damage pets can do to their property, so I always include a clause saying that I will be financially responsible for any damage my pet causes, if any.

Edited by silentchild

Pet references are great!

My strategy is showing up to an inspection totally prepared. I have an application filled out, photocopies of our ID and a little 'portfolio'. I include a short page about my partner and I cover things like non smoker, hobbies gardening and sled dog racing. Got a little pet resume and references for them. I'm friends with the presidents of both SA racing clubs so I'll be using them this time around if they will allow.

If I like the place I hand in the above on the spot and it get processed the next business day, while other folks are still dithering, filling out forms etc

Hi all,

Thanks for your prompt and helpful replies. If anyone has a copy of the pet resume template from the petfriendlyrentals website, please feel free to attach a link (the website seems to be down for some reason as it keeps coming up with errors when I try to set up an account).

I am trying both places advertised as pet friendly, and not - there aren't many advertised as pet friendly to be honest.

References sound like a great idea too, thanks for that!.

Kind regards,

Liam

General rule of thumb in melbourne is that unless it strictly says 'no pets' then the landlord may be negotiable on pets.

It can be hard to find property, however I have found a pet resume, and also building a rapport with the agent to be helpful. Exchange a few emails prior to applying etc. make them fall in love with you so that when your application comes through they remember who you are and you're not just words on a page.

If I, as a single person with 3 cats, and 2 dogs can get a 2year lease at a place, then you definitely should be able to! Persistence is the key. Twice, it's taken me over 4 months to find a place.

Oh, you also won't find many good rentals around this time of year. You'll need to start looking in February, and March when everything picks up again.

Ditto on pet resume. We also let them know dog only ever allowed inside supervised .

We've applied for properties not advertised per friendly and got them. Try ypa real estate Altona or Sweeney Altona if looking west - have rented through both with dog and foster dogs and cats .

Make a pet resume, with a cute photo if possible, outlining how you look after your pets, how well trained they are, that they are registered, desexed, microchipped etc etc, to show that you are responsible pet owners. Also include references from neighbours, vet, obedience instructors, etc if possible.

This site can help and also has templates you can use : http://www.petfriendlyrentals.com.au/

I've been able to find rentals that allow me to have my dogs and cats with this method, including my first rental with a Rottweiler and no previous rental history! I also include a cover letter. You may have to settle for older houses as well. I started out in a junk of a house but now am able to rent a beautiful house in a good suburb once we've proven that we're good pet owners and our previous landlord / real estate agent could vouch for us.

edit : Also, the main concern landlords have is damage pets can do to their property, so I always include a clause saying that I will be financially responsible for any damage my pet causes, if any.

This.

I did this and with no rental history and two sibes I got offered the first three places I applied for, and in a pretty decent area too. I just moved from Sydney to Melbourne but I'm on the north-east side. I had previously heard that the western suburbs were generally quite pet friendly though.

I'll PM you the pet resume I made so you can see what it looked like.

We found a cover letter detailing us and the dogs works well also.

One thing I did as well was call the property managers before the open for inspections and ask if they are open to pets. This will save you a lot of time, there are just as many ads that don't say 'No Pets' that are very anti pets as there are places that don't say 'Pet friendly' even though they will consider them.

And generally the more family orientated the house the more likely they will consider pets. I wouldn't bother with townhouses and apartments.

I'd agree - stay away from modern townhouses etc. - anything with nice new carpet is going to be less likely to be pet friendly. - we've always gone for houses with floorboards or tiles, and it's always been approved applications. :)