Unusual Leash Walking Issue

emigremlin

I just last week got an 8 month old welsh springer spaniel.

He walks reasonably well on a leash, doesn't pull although he crosses my path reasonably often.

The trouble is one of the things I wanted from a dog was a running partner.

When I start running he keeps trotting along moving from about level to quite a way behind and stays there (I am not pulling him along I could go faster but he doesn't want to).

I don't think its primarily a fitness issue as off leash at the beach he will run along with me (although there tend to be stops and starts there).

Any ideas? has he been too well trained not to go fast on a leash?

he is still a pup .

he will need teaching as to what your different commands/body movements mean .You have only been together one week!! Have you taught previous pups to be a jogging partner?

Do you run on sand , grass , or footpaths?

perhaps he is sore ?

has he been vet checked?

8 months is too young to be jogging with you. 12 months minimum for jogging with any dog and then preferably on grass, not hard surfaces. Steady, fast jogging is quite an unnatural thing for a dog to do as they normally change pace and direction a lot when free running. Training them to trot faster takes time and patience but they will only be able to do it if they are very well constructed. If your puppy has any sort of structural fault it may never be able to trot as fast as you would like it to and galloping is something dogs only do in short bursts. For long distance they need to be able to trot and to move faster they need a long stride.

Drive, strength, endurance and stamina in dogs (particularly for fairly boring work such as gaiting for lengthy periods at a relatively consistent pace) takes a couple of years to full develop and development rates vary in different breeds. I would say around 2 years old for your dog would be roughly right. This does not mean you can't do some form of cardio work, but "going jogging" for any distance would not be recommend for any pup.

I am sure your 8 month old WSS is quite fit, for it's age. You are quite correct in saying that fitness is not the issue. A dog of his age wouldn't and shouldn't be any fitter. He is simply not old enough to tolerate this sort of work, both physically and mentally and asking him to do is not good animal husbandry. I am sure you mean well and you just were not made aware of this.

Steadiness on the path is also partly an age thing but primarily a training issue. I think you are pushing this pup way too much and are no doubt unaware of the possible detrimental consequences it could have on his body. I understand you are not dragging him, but remember dogs have an innate need to please and follow their master, so any on leash work is termed as "forced exercise" whether it appears as forced to you or not.

I would think that no more than a 1-2km walk (not fast) and free playing/running, possibly on alternate days would be plenty for at least another few months. Swimming is also fantastic and is less likely to damage joints, but still remember not to expect adult fitness in an adolescent.

I would be focusing more on developing his mind by teaching him home and social skills rather than pounding the pavement.

Good luck with him :)

Edited by dyzney

Welsh aren't what i would consider "out there runners" & the age alone i wouldn't even dream of running it ,I would have thought the breeder would have explained this?

He is a gundog & most likely scenting whilst on his walks typical gundog behaviour .

I to agree your expecting way to much for his age & only having it for a week