Mental Description Of A Dog

Yes its interesting to watch them train it here - not sure its what I would do. However its really no different to training any long chain behavior where the reward isn't provided until the end eg a set of weave poles/an agility sequence etc.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this thread!

Here in Australia it's not about breeding, and frankly it's why we're surrounded by so many below standard animals and keep breeding them.

YES! Many German breeds are still performance dogs back at home and performance + temp + health tests are required before breeding licences are issued.

I think at least compulsory health + temp would be amazing to have here... And testing for the actual, breed specific temp, not just RSPCA type temp testing

The blinds are part of the character routine but are more so an exercise in obedience and control. In simple terms it's a directed send/search and recall, repeated in a figure 8 pattern across the field and ending in a bark and hold. The dog must check the blind and recall to the handler between each (ie the dog cannot run the pattern on it's own without direction). 2 blinds for IPO1, 4 blinds for IPO2, 6 blinds for IPO3. In a trial the helper is always in the last blind.

It looks like this:

*EFS

Edited by RidgieMal

I'm just getting back into the sport after a 15 year absence, lots has changed. I was really surprised just how much. Took me a little while to adjust to the watered down IPO rules. And while I know they aren't an ideal way of testing working temperament, at least it's a something. Who knows, with it becoming more available to people and opening it up to dogs of a more...relaxed...temperament, maybe...just maybe...(in a dream world)...it could create a demand for a more 'inspired' temperament in our dogs. Gotta start somewhere.