Mental Description Of A Dog

What I meant is that it's interesting that both this and the BH is compulsory for IPO. Sport is different to working and breeding dogs. I think the test sounds interesting but I wouldn't agree with it being compulsory for sport dogs. What is the point? Plenty of people do sport without having an interest in breeding

I know Nekhbet already pretty much answered this, but remember that there is no pass or fail in this test. If a dog gets a low score, it's not going to prevent it from trialing. It would be massively frowned upon if that dog were going to be used for breeding though.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a much much larger sport in Europe (I'm quite envious as a dog sport loving person!

That's OK just do what I did ... start your own dogsport club :thumbsup:

Would love to see some video of the work you do at your club Nekhbet :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28T0kravt_4&feature=share

First time dog sporter, dogs under 12 months of age, will have to get some tracking videos.

We're not opening until 2014 officially, and we're also going to offer SAR training. We already have a couple of dogs started and hope to provide the SES with SAR dogs and handlers. Edited by Nekhbet

Whatever you like. We are going to cover SAR, Schutzhund (the legal bits) competitive tracking, obedience, agility, scent detection etc. You can enter any ANKC comp and breeze through with what we train. I am going to start offering Civilian Companion title, not ANKC recognised but it goes beyond any other temp test out there in Australia at the moment. Only available at the moment through my school and Sportdog club but will look into amending/branching it for some breed clubs who are interested in using it.

The sportdog club is not group classes, it's individual attention, short burst training like the old clubs used to be. People learn better and the dogs progress faster.

Wow. Please keep us all posted. I'd love to find a really good club who can actually gauge what my creeps need and what they enjoy and how they tick rather than learn along with the group scenarios. Although not sure a schutzhund flattie is what I'm after. Haha. We can rule that sucker out for both of us!

Steph I have a dog school, and the sportdog club is separate for more comp level work :) The dog school in North Geelong still runs tiny classes and if you need one on one attention it's always there. I mean literally tiny classes of no more then 5 dogs max. We're taking all breeds in the Sportdog club, we've got Amstaffs already in training for Sch style obedience and tracking, they're absolute legends. I'm still getting used to over enthusiastic amstaff cuddles done from a full run ... nose still not broken :laugh:

The point is to give everyone a chance, no matter the breed, to enjoy higher level training in that type of environment. Even in other states Schutzhund clubs are not accessible unless you have certain breeds. OK in Vic we can't do bitework, but just like in the USA and Europe they have everything from terriers to retrievers doing schutzhund and associated sports.

See even frenchies can dog it :p

Edited by Nekhbet

Even in other states Schutzhund clubs are not accessible unless you have certain breeds.

Clubs running under Schutzhund Australia welcome ALL breeds.

List of clubs here: http://www.schutzhun....com/clubs.html

https://www.facebook...daustralia/info

"Schutzhund Australia Inc. is a national sportdog organisation dedicated to the administration and promotion of IPO Dogsport for all breeds in Australia and New Zealand. Schutzhund Australia is the only National IPO Organization with trials open to all competitors & IPO clubs. Schutzhund Australia clubs produce the highest number of SchH/IPO titled teams, Grand National Champions, Sch.H 3 Club Members, National Winners and National Team Champions in all of Australia and is the only Australian IPO Organization to send teams to the WUSV and FMBB World Championships.

Schutzhund Australia is following the standards set down by the Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI).

Each year Schutzhund Australia hosts the Open National Championships, adjudicated by an International Judge, and open to any team with a qualifying scorebook and sportpass."

Edited by RidgieMal

The Sportdog club here in SA have been more then happy to have my fluffy BC come and train with them. I get teased for calling her the fluff though.

We have been to a few sessions of tracking and normally end up back at the club grounds where I will run her through a bit of obedience. She has even played "blinds" :rofl: and likes to pretend she is a black and white mal wannabe :thumbsup:.

Edited by ness

Aw cmon! Consider it a challenge!

Oh heck yeah ... I'm trying to work out how to modify the routine so the horse can run the blinds :rofl: victorian government says nothing about horses doing simulated bitework O_o

Oh heck yeah ... I'm trying to work out how to modify the routine so the horse can run the blinds :rofl: victorian government says nothing about horses doing simulated bitework O_o

Seen some horses with some deep very calm bites... Would NOT want to be on the other end of that though! Is kicking during the neigh and hold a fault??

Seen some horses with some deep very calm bites... Would NOT want to be on the other end of that though! Is kicking during the neigh and hold a fault??

Neigh and hold :rofl: omg love it ... I'm thinking a 17HH thoroughbred crowding you into the blind is enough to make anyone poo their pants, now to get a nice grip :laugh:

Just a question about the IPO/Schutz running the blinds...

Does the dog have to check every blind on the way out, or can they just run directly to where the person is?

Cos pretty sure that's what my dog would do - straight to the blind with a person in it and then goose them for treats... That's what she does everywhere else. Can pick the person with the treats (reward) from hundreds without. she wouldn't be so good at it if it didn't work 99% of the time.

Have to check all the blinds MRB but the person is always in the last blind and yes from watching them train a lot do try and short cut to the last blind.

Edited by ness

Just a question about the IPO/Schutz running the blinds...

Does the dog have to check every blind on the way out, or can they just run directly to where the person is?

Cos pretty sure that's what my dog would do - straight to the blind with a person in it and then goose them for treats... That's what she does everywhere else. Can pick the person with the treats (reward) from hundreds without. she wouldn't be so good at it if it didn't work 99% of the time.

Yep they have to search each blind. The helper doesn't have treats so she wouldn't pick them out. unless your dog counts the sleeve as one :)

At trials the helper is always hidden in the last blind, but I wouldn't run it that way in a training session.