Bump On Mouth?

Guest hanko

Guest hankodie

I just noticed that Hank has some sort of pimple like growth on his lower jowl/lip:

2co0npu.jpg

Has anyone seen this before? I'm not too worried, just curious as to what it is. It seems to have popped up overnight.

Sleepy Hankie Pankie thanks you for your time:

2prclsw.jpg

post-44927-0-76506300-1388115084_thumb.jpg

Edited by hankodie

PUPPY Pimple

You are lucky Hank is not a Hanky Panky girl

Girls get pimples on their fannys!

:rofl:

Seriously though it looks OK.

Sometimes it can be the start of an infection in the hair follicles.

Usually they will clear up by themselves. Have you got any Betadine? Salt water mix may help as well

Guest hankodie

Thanks BBL! Is it seriously a pimple!? I never knew dogs could get pimples! I suppose it would make sense. That's hilarious, he really is a teenager now :rofl:

I'll see if I can hunt for some betadine :D

They don't necessarily heal in a couple of days. My dogs have had exactly the same looking bumps and I have never taken them to the vets. Absolute waste of money for a consult in my opinion. Have you got a doggy friend close by who can have a look at it? Apply betadine if you have it or try the salt bath wipe. If it looks like it is coming to a head then apply some pressure to see if anything comes out(as you would squeezing a spot)

They don't necessarily heal in a couple of days. My dogs have had exactly the same looking bumps and I have never taken them to the vets. Absolute waste of money for a consult in my opinion. Have you got a doggy friend close by who can have a look at it? Apply betadine if you have it or try the salt bath wipe. If it looks like it is coming to a head then apply some pressure to see if anything comes out(as you would squeezing a spot)

As someone who has lost a much loved dog to oral cancer I don't consider a vet visit to be an absolute waste of money when something foreign is discovered in a dog's mouth. It well may be something totally innocent but I would rather be reassured by a vet that this is so.

You have no way of knowing this bump is exactly the same as your dog had. Even a vet would not diagnose over the internet.

BTW I didn't say it should be healed in a couple of days, I said

If it doesn't look like it's healing
meaning if there is no change for the better.

Edited to fix the quote thing.

Edited by cavNrott

As someone who has lost a much loved dog to oral cancer I don't consider a vet visit to be a absolute waste of money when something foreign is discovered in a dog's mouth. It well may be something totally innocent but I would rather be reassured by a vet that this is so.

You have no way of knowing this bump is exactly the same as your dog had. Even a vet would not diagnose over the internet.

BTW I didn't say it should be healed in a couple of days, I said

If it doesn't look like it's healing[/] meaning if there is no change for the better.

I agree totally.

Hankodie, I think that you should let a vet take a look at it.

Goldies are one of the breeds that have a predisposition to getting mast cell tumours and these nasty things can look like almost any kind of skin lesion. best to get it checked and have a fine needle aspiration done to see what kind of cells are present.

If it's an infection then it's an easy fix, and probably will heal on its own. If it is something else then you will have picked it up early and can take the appropriate action sooner rather than later.

Thanks BBL! Is it seriously a pimple!? I never knew dogs could get pimples! I suppose it would make sense. That's hilarious, he really is a teenager now :rofl:

hankodie I am of course not a vet, and judging by other peoples posts, they seriously think you should take him to a vet so that this pimple can be diagnosed or a needle aspiration done.

So please, take no notice whatsoever of what I have posted.

It is your dog so you need to make a decision.

By the way, almost all my Bulldogs, Bullmastiffs and also my Great Dane puppy have all had exactly the same looking pimples. Makes me feel really bad cause I didn't rush them all to a vet.

Guest hankodie

Thanks BBL, cavnrott and everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it.

I will most definitely take him to the vet if it doesn't clear up. At the moment it looks and feels like a pimple so I've gently cleaned it and will keep an eye on it. He is 6 months old and from what I've read puppy acne tends to crop up around this age and isn't uncommon. But will definitely go for a vet visit if it doesn't go away soon.

Guest hankodie

Didn't you ring EVH? Come on I can't be the only one ringing them all the time :p

Just have to say sleepy Hankie Pankie is gorgeous :love:

Hahaha HazyWal I was hoping to give the girls a break over the Xmas holidays! :laugh: might give them a call tomorrow... I'm sure they are used to my weird phone calls by now :D

I was just there on Monday because Odie did her leg in tumbling around with Hank, I was hoping we'd make it to the new year without another vet visit but no such luck! I'm thinking of requesting my own parking space seeing as I'm there so much, perhaps we could sharesies? hope you and Stan and Maddie had a good Xmas :D

hankodie I am of course not a vet, and judging by other peoples posts, they seriously think you should take him to a vet so that this pimple can be diagnosed or a needle aspiration done.

So please, take no notice whatsoever of what I have posted.

It is your dog so you need to make a decision.

By the way, almost all my Bulldogs, Bullmastiffs and also my Great Dane puppy have all had exactly the same looking pimples. Makes me feel really bad cause I didn't rush them all to a vet.

I detect a certain amount of sarcasm in your tone.

No one has suggested that this dog needs to be "rushed to a vet". It is clearly not an emergency. However it's probably wise that the lesion is checked over by someone with a professional qualification rather than an attempt at internet diagnosis by someone who has owned lots of dogs with similar looking lesions. No one that has replied to this thread are vets and so none of us can offer diagnostic advice. All that we can do is suggest, and offer support. Some of us have had experience with similar looking lesions which have turned out not to be "pimples"..... if only they were !

Perhaps you have never had a dog with a mast cell tumour. These can look like almost anything, including a pimple, but sadly they can be deadly. I have a friend whose golden retriever was diagnosed with his first mast cell tumour at 7 months old. It too looked like a pimple and his owner left it for two weeks before taking the dog to the vet for an opinion.

I will say that I have seen similar looking raised, smooth and pink areas on some dogs lips and these have been a variation of normal structure....... so it is possible that what is on this dog's lip is simply a different form of "normal" structure. It could also be a pimple as you say, but there is also the possibility that it could be something more sinister and that possibility needs to be ruled out quickly or if diagnosed as something more sinister than "a pimple" then it needs to be dealt with appropriately.

Didn't you ring EVH? Come on I can't be the only one ringing them all the time :p

Just have to say sleepy Hankie Pankie is gorgeous :love:

Hahaha HazyWal I was hoping to give the girls a break over the Xmas holidays! :laugh: might give them a call tomorrow... I'm sure they are used to my weird phone calls by now :D

I was just there on Monday because Odie did her leg in tumbling around with Hank, I was hoping we'd make it to the new year without another vet visit but no such luck! I'm thinking of requesting my own parking space seeing as I'm there so much, perhaps we could sharesies? hope you and Stan and Maddie had a good Xmas :D

I was there on Monday too! Luckily it was just for Maddie's vaccs this time and yes I might run it past MJ to get our own car space...wish me luck :laugh:

We had a great Xmas hope you did too :)

Getting back to the lump Stan had something similar come up on his foot and because I am a panicker :o I took him up for a needle aspiration and it turned out to be nothing sinister. If it got bigger they would remove it but it actually disappeared.

Guest hankodie

How funny HW I wonder if we just missed you :laugh: I was there around 11. It was so busy!

I am also a huge panicker :o especially after Odie's liver disease was diagnosed. I'm forever bringing her there for things that end up being nothing. They are always so lovely about it though, I hope they don't think I'm too much of a crazy dog lady :o

Hank's bump looks a lot less red today and seems to have shrunk, will definitely take him to get checked out if it doesn't go away in the next 48 hours :D

How funny HW I wonder if we just missed you :laugh: I was there around 11. It was so busy!

I am also a huge panicker :o especially after Odie's liver disease was diagnosed. I'm forever bringing her there for things that end up being nothing. They are always so lovely about it though, I hope they don't think I'm too much of a crazy dog lady :o

Hank's bump looks a lot less red today and seems to have shrunk, will definitely take him to get checked out if it doesn't go away in the next 48 hours :D

I was there at 11!!! Nicole just took us straight out the back, it was insanely busy and hot! If you ever see a yellow Getz with a sign in the back window that says "Greyhound Taxi Service" that's us :laugh:

Hopefully the lump will just disappear but don't ever worry about ringing or going up all the time, they would prefer you did than not worry about it at all. They always have worried looks on their faces when we walk in and say "What's Stan done THIS time?" :o

If most of your dogs are getting these lumps and bumps in the mouth I would be checking if anything environmental is causing it. Perhaps plastic food/water bowls.

I've had a number of dogs including a few rescue Rotties who were in very poor condition but have never had a dog with a lump on it's lip like this. My Rottie girl who developed cancer had a lump on her gum, which was seen to by a vet when it was simply inflammation and well before it developed into a lump.

I did have a rescue Rott who had some acne on the outside of his lower lip or better described as his chin. The red lumps were tiny. I took him to a vet who prescribed antibiotics which cleared it up quickly.

I am of the opinion, due to my experience, that nothing good ever grows in a dogs mouth except teeth.

Hopefully the lump on the lovely GR's mouth at all to be concerned about but I would still have a vet check it.

Edited by cavNrott

If most of your dogs are getting these lumps and bumps in the mouth I would be checking if anything environmental is causing it. Perhaps plastic food/water bowls.

I've had a number of dogs including a few rescue Rotties who were in very poor condition but have never had a dog with a lump on it's lip like this. My Rottie girl who developed cancer had a lump on her gum, which was seen to by a vet when it was simply inflammation and well before it developed into a lump.

I did have a rescue Rott who had some acne on the outside of his lower lip or better described as his chin. The red lumps were tiny. I took him to a vet who prescribed antibiotics which cleared it up quickly.

I am of the opinion, due to my experience, that nothing good ever grows in a dogs mouth except teeth.

Hopefully the lump on the lovely GR's mouth at all to be concerned about but I would still have a vet check it is nothing

My dogs don't have plastic food or water bowls. But thanks for the suggestion

Most if not all of their pimples are ingrowing hair follicles. They have never needed antibiotics and I would never let them have antibiotics for something as simple as that.

I have also had one Bullmastiff with severe cancer on her lips.

As well as Bulldogs and Bullmastiffs with lymphoma.

If I spent all my time at the vets getting tiny lumps looked at all I would be doing is paying for their new BMW.

Common sense prevails in many circumstances.

I look after my dogs better than myself but don't rush off to the vets for every little thing.