Male Puppies Fighting

GeorgiB

When you have multiple dogs someone has to be the feared pack leader & that is or should be the owner ME. It doesn't mean that the person has to beat or do anything cruel but they do have to assert themselves by some means.

My dogs do not fear me in the slightest, and the idea that anyone would want to be feared is horrifying to me. Do people seriously think they need their dogs to "fear" them? Far out. Poor dogs.

How dangerous would it be if my WL GSD feared me, no doubt there would one day be a post going "and then my dog ALL OF A SUDDEN attacked me for no reason...."

Exactly LMSW, and yet Amax-1 specifically used the words that that instigator must fear the leader in order to avoid fights. I'm sure most would agree that respect and trust between dog and handler are far more important and effective than fear.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does all rather depend on what one's definition & interpretation of Fear actually is.

It doesn't have to mean quaking in their shoes, mine certainly aren't, but a certain lets say healthy respect, oh we had better watch it when we hear that tone or volume of voice is needed. Otherwise some dogs depending on their personality & the situation may become uncontrollable.

I was being slightly cynical using that phrase from a prior post.

Anyone with any sense & kindness towards animals would realise that its not the done thing to have a dog terrified of its owner.

I can kinda of see I think what Amax is trying to say....maybe.

I do not think my dogs fear me, but if they really overstep the mark and I roar they back down very quickly. Is that fear or respect, who knows? they certainly look chastised but are quite happy to go back to normal once the situation has cooled off. When it comes down to it I am boss and we go by my rules. Quite simple. If someone pushes it too far, they get pulled into line and at the end of the day I ultimately decide who is allowed where and when not any of the dogs.

I certainly wouldn't want a dog to be genuinely afraid or scared of me, that would not be healthy for anyone and I feel the potential for a deadly situation is much higher in a family where a dog fears its owner/handler.

I do not think my dogs fear me, but if they really overstep the mark and I roar they back down very quickly. Is that fear or respect, who knows? they certainly look chastised but are quite happy to go back to normal once the situation has cooled off. When it comes down to it I am boss and we go by my rules. Quite simple. If someone pushes it too far, they get pulled into line and at the end of the day I ultimately decide who is allowed where and when not any of the dogs.

I certainly wouldn't want a dog to be genuinely afraid or scared of me, that would not be healthy for anyone and I feel the potential for a deadly situation is much higher in a family where a dog fears its owner/handler.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Me either :)

Exactly, everyone knows what we're trying to say but the word is not there :laugh: you're right it's not a genuine fear, it's that little voice in the back of the dogs head saying 'it's not worth it and you know that'.

How dangerous would it be if my WL GSD feared me, no doubt there would one day be a post going "and then my dog ALL OF A SUDDEN attacked me for no reason...."

Why would a dog that feared you attack you for no reason?