Concerned About Shampoo

Yonjuro

Having recently learned that tea tree oil is toxic to dogs, I am concerned that both 'natural' shampoos I have include tea tree oil. I understand that dogs absorb through their skin so I wonder if I need to worry about this. In my mind, even a small amount of toxicity is still a bad thing.

I have not seen problems from ingestion / absorption of tea tree oil from shampoos but it is not uncommon for me to see dogs with skin irritation (from mild to severe) after being washed in products containing tea tree or eucalyptus oil.

Edited by Rappie

Thanks Rappie!

In reading the the blurb on one of the shampoos, it does says "Substantial research demonstrates the antimicrobial efficacy of tea tree oil, as well as its high level of potential toxicity"

I believe as a minor ingredient with the following oils being the main ingredients.

Coconut

Hemp Seed

Lavender

Tamanu Nut

She is using Malaseb for flaking skin which I feel is a bit harsh and Aloveen which contains sulphates and seems to get a few negative reviews. I want to approach this a bit different, both internally and externally. but I am not going to change the breeders recommended kibble for a little while yet. In any case I really haven't noticed any flaking skin and sibes really don't require many baths per year. I just want to arm myself with knowledge and suitable products for the future.

Oatmeal shampoos are generally pretty good. I only bathe dogs when absolutely necessary anyway, I feel like any stripping of the natural oils isn't desirable but of course they need to be washed sometimes. At the moment I've got Pet Head, I think it's the one for sensitive skin. Pretty happy with that one.

I thought many of you may find it useful to know that often shampoos and grooming products that claim to have 'tea tree oil' in them are often synthetic chemicals that mimic the smell of such oils. Unless the product labels say contains 'tea tree 100% pure essential oil', it is most likely a combination of synthetic chemicals called aroma chemicals and fragrance extenders like DPG and phthalates (also used in plastics manufacturing). These chemicals are used most shampoos and can cause alot of itching and allergies for dogs, particularly those with sensitive skin. Using aroma chemicals is a cheaper alternative and a very common marketing trick to get you to believe you are buying something that you are not. I would only believe any product has essential oils in it if they claim the product contains '100% pure tea tree essential oil' and no synthetic fragrances. There is no law in Australia or any other country that I am aware of where ingredients have to be disclosed in non medicated pet products (cosmetics), so some of the major manufacturers take advantage of these law and often marketing their products as 'natural' but these products are no different to other 'non-natural' products.

Basically, what I'm saying is that although your dog may be having some itching and drying of the skin from the tea tree oil shampoo you're using, it may not be the type of tea tree oil you think it is. I personally don't like tea tree essential oil for dog shampoos as it can dry the skin out. I only use dog grooming products that are free sulphates and artificial fragrances as these are the major causes of dryness, itching and allergies for dogs.

Edited by essentialdog

toxicity depends on dosage. I'm sure you could poison a dog with pure tea tree oil. My guess is the amount of the relevant chemical compounds in shampoo, and the fraction of that amount that actually gets into your dog's systems, is so low that it can be ignored. I wouldn't worry about toxicity, only ab out whether it is doing what you want from a shampoo.

Lots of essential oils are toxic to dogs and humans if they are used undiluted. Its why when you have a massage oil for example it has only 3% essential oil in it and 97% is blended with various vegetable oils. If dogs have neat Tea tree oil applied or if they eat the oil there could be a problem but the amount you have in shampoo enables the oils to provide the beneficial results of the application in the correct dosages.

Its why tea tree oil and other herbs and oils are able to be used and have great beneficial results for thousands of years but neat oils are always used with caution and it is the neat oils there are various warnings on.

Always remember that natural products are not always necessarily safe just as for other chemicals and dosages and measurements are important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on the bottles.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of essential oils are toxic to dogs and humans if they are used undiluted. Its why when you have a massage oil for example it has only 3% essential oil in it and 97% is blended with various vegetable oils. If dogs have neat Tea tree oil applied or if they eat the oil there could be a problem but the amount you have in shampoo enables the oils to provide the beneficial results of the application in the correct dosages.

Its why tea tree oil and other herbs and oils are able to be used and have great beneficial results for thousands of years but neat oils are always used with caution and it is the neat oils there are various warnings on.

Always remember that natural products are not always necessarily safe just as for other chemicals and dosages and measurements are important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on the bottles.

Also wanted to add that the APVMA and vets recommend a dilution of less than 1% of essential oils on any product you put on your dog's skin.

Edited by essentialdog

Great suggestions all, I think that I will stick to the Calendula tea now that I have tried it. Huskies are pretty teflon coated, very clean and seldom smell so the tea rinse is probably the best for my little fella.

Please don’t use tea tree oil on a dog at all – even as part of a list of ingredients. My dog’s brother had neat tea tree oil applied on his back for flea bites, and went temporarily paralysed in the back legs, Washing him, and then giving it about 12 hours to sort itself out, was the cure.

I stupidly then got a liquid for itchy feet with 5% tea tree in it for my girl (sis of the above dog). I diluted it with water and used it twice on her back feet. The next day she was temporarily paralysed in the back legs. Again, a bath and some time got her back to normal. Given the huge array of things to use on a dog, I would say to never use anything with tea tree in it.

‘Groomers’ brand evening primrose oil shampoo (get the vet-grade one) is great for itchy dogs.

Please don’t use tea tree oil on a dog at all – even as part of a list of ingredients. My dog’s brother had neat tea tree oil applied on his back for flea bites, and went temporarily paralysed in the back legs, Washing him, and then giving it about 12 hours to sort itself out, was the cure.

I stupidly then got a liquid for itchy feet with 5% tea tree in it for my girl (sis of the above dog). I diluted it with water and used it twice on her back feet. The next day she was temporarily paralysed in the back legs. Again, a bath and some time got her back to normal. Given the huge array of things to use on a dog, I would say to never use anything with tea tree in it.

‘Groomers’ brand evening primrose oil shampoo (get the vet-grade one) is great for itchy dogs.

Whoa! I can't believe products like that are on the market. 5% tea tree oil is toxic! All reputable pet products use less than 1% of any fragrance whether it be synthetic or essential oils - anything over 1% is outright dangerous and not to mention illegal if it is not registered as a medication and the APVMA will be onto them soon enough.

Here is a story of dog owner who used a product that contains 5% fragrance which is incredibly dangerous. It makes me so mad that some companies will throw anything in their products to make the fragrance linger - it's all about masking your dogs scent which is $$$ to them. I would never use more than 0.25% of eo's in any dog product. The most toxic essential oil to dogs is pennyroyal and I see that in alot of products which astounds me and makes me really angry! You're lucky your dog has recovered and i'm so glad your pooch is ok considering the foot itch product contained 5% tea tree oil.

Sorry if I keep rambling on about this topic! I have done a 3 year study and research on sensitivities focusing on fragrances and allergens in canine skin and some of the stories I hear makes my blood boil!!

Edited by essentialdog