When Someone Wants To Use Your Stud...

Leema

When someone wants to use your stud...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What of these things matter the most about the other party?

• That you know the owner already and/or feel that you can trust the owner
    • That you approve of the bitch
    • That the bitch is titled in conformation
    • That the bitch is titled in other sports
    • That the owner partakes in conformation with their dog(s)
    • That the owner partakes in other sports with their dog(s)
    • The owner is willing to accept your terms (e.g. stud fee, limitations on registration of puppies, transport of bitch to dog, etc)
    • The owner has extensive experience in the breed (e.g. owned the breed for years, shown numerous dogs to titles, bred numerous litters)
    • You want a puppy from that mating
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. What of these things matter regarding the other party?

• That you know the owner already and/or feel that you can trust the owner
    • That you approve of the bitch
    • That the bitch is titled in conformation
    • That the bitch is titled in other sports
    • That the owner partakes in conformation with their dog(s)
    • That the owner partakes in other sports with their dog(s)
    • The owner is willing to accept your terms (e.g. stud fee, limitations on registration of puppies, transport of bitch to dog, etc)
    • The owner has extensive experience in the breed (e.g. owned the breed for years, shown numerous dogs to titles, bred numerous litters)
    • You want a puppy from that mating
    • Other (please explain)

Depends.

In a breed where the gene pool is narrow, preserving genetic diversity is probably more important than show conformation. If you have a popular sire, the more people/bitches you turn away the better. Particularly important that you turn away bitches who are related to your dog. If you have a healthy, but little-used stud, it is good for the breed as a whole that you allow your dog to be used over unrelated bitches.

Goes without saying that you must trust the breeder.

Sandgrubber, do you only do outcrosses when you breed? (Just curious)

Sandra777, in some breeds it is nearly impossible to buy a decent bitch, so you hope that the owners of good dogs will allow them to be used over your mediocre bitch.

Edited by Jed

I voted that I approve the bitch. If the bitch has the same "faults" as my dog, I would certainly advise the bitch owner of this and tell them the risks if they really wanted to use my dog. She MUST be health tested.

Other things- that the owner of the bitch can be trusted more than I know them personally and they are willing to accept the terms.

I have it told to me, stud dog owners have no right to dictate to bitch owners what registration they can register the puppies on. If they feel that a dog is good enough to be on main register, then it should be regardless of stud dog owners wishes. I know of a number of instances where such a thing has happened, and there have been pups on main register sold, then resold to less than ethical breeders and/or puppy farms.

Hard thing to police and also enforce.

I would certainly expect the bitch owner to abide by any reasonable conditions such as worming, bringing bitch to stud and of course payment of stud fee in a timely manner. I have been lucky when I have used dogs I have been able to pay the stud fee once pups are born. I know you are paying for a service rather than live puppies and in horses that is exactly what you do pay for. Although I don't feel comfortable in taking money when there is no puppies at the end. I will take an upfront handling fee from the overall stud fee for my time boarding the bitch and looking after her whilst in my care.

As long as the bitch owner is ethical in their efforts - they may be new to the breed but can still have a better set of morals than someone who has been in it for ages.

In ethical, I mean health testing their dogs, trying to follow the breed standard - especially in my breed pertaining to conformation and colour: not pumping out large volumes of puppies (again generally in a rainbow of non standard colours) and being responsible on where they sell their puppies. Again - not to the same almost near factories churning out coloured pups for the colour market just to make a quid. It is ok to have a colour preference, and as all the colours are there naturally and can appear, does not automatically mean then disregarding the breed standard and going out of your way to produce the colours to charge double the price and registering them incorrectly as a correct colour so you can then sell on main registration. Looking through some of their webpages, there is an increase in black and white (and coloured) border collies with incomplete nose pigment. They should be solid. Even merles, while it is acceptable to not have solid pigment - should have solid pigment if used for breeding.

The bitch owner does not necessarily need to have a titled bitch, although that is always a bonus - there are plenty of good dogs out there without titles, even in big show kennels. A title just means someone has put in the time and effort with that dog.

DNA Health testing in my breed is really important: The bitch has done the necessary health tests pertaining to my breed (although none are compulsory). We have our own genetic problems and it is responsible and ethical breeding to ensure these are done prior to mating.

I am happy to allow my dog to go over their bitch. My breed has been increasing in mass volume producers and colour only breeders (a regular look on the DOL puppy listings you can easily see this is happening), that is where I will draw the line. My answer is no, no and no. My dog carries three of the desired colours (Tri, red and sable) and there is no way I am going to allow them to get into the hands of these breeders so they can then breed it to any old dog just to get the desired colour and a decent pedigree.

Sandra777, in some breeds it is nearly impossible to buy a decent bitch, so you hope that the owners of good dogs will allow them to be used over your mediocre bitch.

Yes, I outcross, though I may accept some overlap in four or more generations back. If you chase down the COI statistics for Labradors, you'll find that line breeding is not common in the breed.

See eg., http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2390636/#!po=50.0000

Impossible because there simply aren't any? In this case I agree with you. Impossible because people won't let new people have them? Then my original comment stands.